Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a banger help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elcamino65, Apr 23, 2011.

1. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I have a 28 pickup with a banger. Last i know this thing ran about two years ago. I want to try and get it started but i have a few questions first. there is a little pole style switch on the top of the starter motor but the little rod that sticks out just wiggles-any direction on this? Also when hooking up the coil wire there looks like two possible oppenings in the housing where a wire could go. In the schematic and in picutures ive seen some long threaded conduit looking stuf is this just the coil wire. Thanks for the help.

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

ya that starter thing is wiggly, its ok there should be a rod that goes through the floor so you can start it with your foot. I guess the ground or 6v positive to the distributer has a wierd screw in end and a metal shield.

3. MR K.

MR K.

the switch on the started does have alot of play in it. What you have in there is a brass contct that hits another brass contact. just push it in and you should feel it hit. there is not much travel in those. As for the coil....if the wiring is old and questenable, i would run power from the bat right up to the coil, and by pass the other item. I have worked on many A's and have found plenty with bad wires shorting out some where while trying to get them started. Once I know it runs then I double check the wiring up to the box. does that help?

4. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

thanks that helps the wiring is completely stripped so im am going to pick up a six volt batter right to the coil with a toggle but my question is where do i hook the coil that goes in the side of the distributor?

5. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

here are two wiring diagrams one is with and one is withour cowl lamps. the conduit looking stuff goes to the dist and comes from the ignition switch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

As said above, I want to also confirm that the starter pedal does have slot of play and that's normal. As far as the wiring I had all kind of he'll with mine and had several people look at it and I wired it same as in wiring diagrams. What I did do that worked is pulled that conduit wire completely off and ran a new wire in it's hole connecting directly to the nut on the points in the distributor. From there I ran that wire to the ignition switch.
    Then I ran a wire from the power supply post on top of the starter to the negative side of the coil. Ran wire from the pos. Side of coil to a good ground spot. That should at least get it running for you. I was also running it as a 6v positive ground as the model As originally were.

7. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

thanks that guys that helps

8. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Well i started taking it apart and there was a ton of spider eggs and stuff so it was probably a good thing. here are some pictures of how far i got. Do i hook the coil wire up under the second plate?

Attached Files:

9. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

morning crowd?

10. modeleh

modeleh

I see you have removed the rubbing block that opens and closes the points. You will have to reset the timing. The distributor body doesn't turn like newer engines, you have to adjust the timing internally. Spend some time at the link below, it should answer all your questions.

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/timing.htm