Register now to get rid of these ads!

Single MC to Dual MC on Drum Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ancient Rodder, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Ancient Rodder

Ancient Rodder

In doing a search here on this subject, popular opinion seems to favor splitting dual resavour between front & rear drum brake. Original setup had front and rear fed from single resavour. This being the case, why can't both resavours from the dual MC be fed into the original line by using a "T"? Any one have experiance with this? Thanks

2. Scott K

Scott K

It can be done, but what happens if you have a leak / blow a seal at one corner?? Your dual m/c doesn't buy you anything, since you cant build pressure at the other corners. You need to isolate the front from the rear to get the benefit of the split m/c.

3. Ancient Rodder

Ancient Rodder

Excelent observation, that alone is reason enough to split them. Thanks

4. 61 chevy

61 chevy

all you would be doing is turning a dual into a single, not good

5. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

The easiest way to split the front and rear brakes is to by-pass the distribution valve with the rear brake line and plum it directly into the mc. Then install a plug where the rear brake line had been on the distribution valve.

6. sorry , that is about the dumbest thing i have every heard. they started using dual chamber MC's in 1966 for a reason. i suggest you plumb it as as it should be

7. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

Some people are very rude. sorry

The suggested I gave is how inline tube suggested the best way to do it.

8. BLAKE

BLAKE

I did this on my '62 Invicta... replaced the single res master with a '70 Monte Carlo drum/drum dual-res (DORMAN Part # M64986)... piece o' cake.