Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holy smokes, I just sold everything!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by amsvette, Apr 23, 2011.

1. amsvette

amsvette

Well, almost sold everything. I must admit, I'm one of those people that have plans and ideas bigger than my budget, space or ambition can cover. I can't tell you the last time I actually DROVE one of my "toys" let alone ENJOYED one in any fashion. I have filled my 2 car garage, my basement, my driveway, and my mom's pole barn with junk. I've been kicking around the idea of having a "fire sale" for a while now, so I just did it. I found a buyer for the lot and I pulled the trigger. I sold 5 cars and 2 boats for almost exactly the same amount I owe on my 2nd mortgage. I just made a sizable payment on it and should have that paid off by summer's end. Will be kinda nice to have the space AND the extra money every month. Didn't need to do it, but wow I feel grown up and responsible now! I still have my dad's '62 T-bird and my Model A pickup to tinker with. I'm kicking around the idea of selling the Model A to pay off what I spent in new parts for it. Just need to get the guy who's building it to actually finish it and I'll see what kind of mood I'm in. Perhaps I'll actually be able to work on and finish something for once. Isn't that a novel idea? Wish me luck! Thanks for listening.

2. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

KOOL...I am selling 6 more of my rides...only keeping 4 or 5.....MORE than anybody needs....I also want to down size in the next year or two.....

3. Cshabang

Cshabang

Im in the house market and am trying to sell on OT project car of mine...I put my foot down and started saving, paying off debt and living a very minimalist life. In 4 months Ive seen more financial growth them I have in years...Kinda makes me not want to stop living like this...Unfortunately living like this has me watching every penny and justifying EVERY purchase...which is good and bad.

4. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Whatcha got left?

5. roddinron

roddinron

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6. Damn quiters! It'sa way of life not a choice!!!!!!!!!

:D

7. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Geez sell my stuff I got waaaaaaaaaay too much!!

8. seatex

seatex

hope 'ya don't regret it!

9. havi

havi

I found a pair of truck projects I'd be willing to sell most of my current projects for. I said most, lol. Better than having the Sheriff come with a crusher and ruining yer day.

10. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

I guess I have those feelings from time to time....but Hell, you've got to enjoy something....I got two in the garage a 40 pickup my youngest boys, and my old 36 Nash, I don't plan on selling either one and if they get done one day fine...I'm enjoying having them and spend a little lcoin on them here and there...If we get so scared we can't function I'm not sure its best to sell....We're only here for a short time, so for me, I'm going to enjoy the cars whether I finish them or not....:D

11. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

if you paid someone else to build your cars you really are not into them
    and can let them go so you can buy another.........

12. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

must be something in the air... i sold a bunch of stuff at the swapmeet today.. and didnt buy anything..i didnt even walk around and look...

13. I been thinkin' about it too.........anybody wanna project and four parts cars?

14. amsvette

amsvette

I've still got my dad's '62 T-bird, I got it when he died 2 years ago. He bought it in '79 and has brought it with him from California to Colorado to Michigan and then to Ohio. Heck it's been in the family almost as long as I have. I'm going to be this incarnations care taker, and I hope to pass it on to one of my boys some day. This one will never go. I'm afraid dad will haunt me if I even think of selling it.

15. amsvette

amsvette

Not quitting, just realizing it's just stuff. Nothing I really cared too much about in the first place. I tend to impulse buy, so most of them were "I need this car now" kind of things. After I get my garage back in order I promised my 8 year old we'd build his go kart. May be nice to actually have room to do it now.

16. amsvette

amsvette

Nope, don't regret it at all. I actually haven't felt this confidant in a while. Most of them were way off topic cars that I won't really miss. I may miss my '80 Camaro, I've owned it for almost 15 years. It was something I wanted in high school, that is among a long list of cars I've NEVER driven. I think it will be nice to get my dad's T-bird back on the road, I have fond memories of parades and cruises in it as a kid. Maybe I can build some of those memories with my kids.

17. amsvette

amsvette

Nope, didn't pay to have it built. I had a large stock pile of Model A sedan bits and pieces that I bartered to have the pickup assembled since I didn't have the room or time to do it. He is merely getting it to "roller" status for me and I was going to take it from there. Was shocked to find that with a reversed firewall that I don't really fit in it. Not sure I care to build a truck that won't be what I want or will fit in. Again, I'll have to see if it ever gets welded up before I make any decisions there. One of the problems I ran into is that he and I don't think the same. He's making design decisions based on his tastes not mine. Nothing can't be undone I suppose.

18. felix37

felix37

Sounds like you have a good plan!

19. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

I just did the same thing!!

It feels good.

-Jason

20. To many irons in the fire is not freedom it's jail. A couple projects and less stress is the way to go.

Good job.

21. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

i need to sell stuff too. tired of looking at junk.

22. peter johnson

peter johnson

I like my shit too much!its all a bit sad!

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Good for you! I think one (or two) toys/projects you really care about trump owning a bunch of stuff you'll never do anything with. And crushing debt, that's icing on the cake.

24. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

Very smart thing you did. I reached that turning point a few years ago. I sold all the project cars, decided to build just one truck and I still keep on selling parts. Helps fund the the build and keep some dollars rolling in since the wife isn't working.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think there is a time when many of us finally come to the realization that we have way more future projects sitting around than we will ever be able to build in one lifetime. That is for either time or financial reasons.
    I could probably have the 48 pretty well along right now if I hadn't been been buying parts and pieces for a project that is still in the planning stage over the past couple of years. It isn't a lot of money but it would have bought the intake, exhaust and finned valve cover for the 292 that is sitting in the garage waiting for a truck to be built for it.
    There is the stuff I have collected for the boat tail roadster and the 51 1-1/2 ton Chevy truck that needs an engine and trans along with two OT vans that need put back together and sold.
    Then there are the three sheds full of stuff that was too good to get rid of but I have no vehicle to use it on. A lot of that will go to a couple of swap meets in the next two months to help pay for some pieces for the other projects. Hopefully it will bring enough to pay for a few pieces for the other projects.
    Sometimes it's just time to buck up and sell off enough stuff so that we can actually work on one of the real and current projects.

26. 409deuce

409deuce

[/QUOTE] To many irons in the fire is not freedom it's jail. A couple projects and less stress is the way to go. [/QUOTE]

Amen to that. I've been in beating on three projects for 6 years without driving one for a single minute. Its a real drag. Good news is one will be done in a month and the others over this coming winter. Way too long and never again. Good job amsvette!

27. Racrdad

Racrdad

Getting rid of that second mortgage will prove to be one of the smarter things you have done for sure.

28. I did the same thing a few years back and i was so glad i did !! I got everything payed off and started all over. It feels so good to clean up a little and put some extra cash in hand !! I want to down size again to many irons in the fire so I started a few months ago doing the same thing again I have a few parts and 2 cars left to get rid of my 55 chevy and a 50 more door merc !! Im going to build a bigger shop!

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Selling sure beats loosing it all.

30. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats, I think this is a problem throughtout our sport. People have way to much stuff and can't get rid of any of it. Pay for storage, stuff gets lost and ruined. Hey wait, this is my life story. But in all reality I applaud this bold move to free yourself up, not miss the stuff thats gone, and have more bucks to move forward. U-R-BRAVE!! ~sololobo~