Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone besides me not care about a sound system in a car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by arkiehotrods, Apr 21, 2011.

1. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Maybe I'm weird, but I've always preferred to be listening to my engine as I drive down the road. Both my Nomad and my '47 Ford coupe have the original tube AM radios; the radios work just fine, but I seldom turn them on. Nothing sounds sweeter to me than a V-8 going down the highway.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

same here

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. elvi411

elvi411

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree....................

5. X2. I don't even turn the radio on in my truck. I like to hear the diesel purr.

6. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I enjoy a good sound system in my car however I am also lazy. My 65 F100 DD never came with a radio. Eight months later after buying it there still is no stereo. Just doesn't bother me that much even though the little 240 six buzzing through a straight pipe can be annoying at times.

7. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

depends,if i'm just runnin around town no music cause i don't have radios in either one.BUT,BUT if i'm traveling to a car show 2-3-5 hours away,yeah i'm gonna have my ipod.cramed deep in my ears turned ALL THE WAY UP. so i can hear it over my LOUD exhaust .i have what i call speeding ticket music on there and i swear it goes straight from my ears straight to my gas pedal. but driving my car with the music turned up loud is the way i de-stress. i don't have a damn care in the world when i'm doing that:cool:

8. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

I couldnt hear a radio in my hot rod anyway. Watch peoples mouths move when theyre talking in it , but cant hear them either, nothin better!

9. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Eight burnin, four turnin. Only thing better is the whine of a Q.C. with straight cut gears.

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I've traveled both ways, extensively. Prefer to have some music, but don't hold it against you if you don't.

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

the motor is the only sound system I need

12. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

NO tunes here. Wish I had a blower!

13. Racewriter

Racewriter

I like a basic system. Head unit with CD, 2-4 speakers. No amps, no subwoofers, no woofer boxes or any other BS.

14. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

i would need a pretty decent sound system to overcome the exhaust (that dumps directly at the ground before the rear tires) & the timing gears. not to mention the windows are usually down. i got a nice stereo in the daily, i'd much rather listen to "race car sounds" in the 55.

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yeah, I did about 75,000 miles in Big Olds without a radio/stereo. For me it's tough driving 12-14 hours for days on end without a stereo. Since then I've put in a stereo. I LOVE books on CD and listen to those exclusively when I'm by myself in Big Olds. I can drive alot longer when I'm "entertained" on the highway.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  16. v8 garage

v8 garage

Sound system is a real low priority to me.
    V/8

17. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

I don't need a radio in my car. I'm usually home before "The Lone Ranger" comes on.

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

....bye, bye, Miss American Pie...

19. not since my 52nd street cassette got caught in the player.

20. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

speedsters dont have radios. the car itself is enough work that i need to pay attention to... as well as paying attention to all the idiots trying to run into me as I drive down the road.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

:D Yeah, it got tougher and tougher to find peeps that knew all the words and would sing with me.:D

22. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

People that ask when I'm gonna' put a radio in it piss me off as much as the people that ask when I'm gonna' paint it.......

23. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

my truck has tunes, but you can't hear them at speed, my roadster only has exhaust pipe music

24. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i have 3 old cars, one ive had for 12 years and its never had a working radio, i'm still getting around to it :D , the other is an off topic muskel car and will have a working radio soon when i get around to it,but not a big priority the other is my 33 5 winder and it will never have a radio....so i'm not big on radios in my old cars, but in my daily driver 4cylinder commuter car its a must! hahaha

25. BeyerAutoSalvage

BeyerAutoSalvage
    from Trenton FL

My cars are always stereo optional- don't really care either way- but my stone stock 41 Chevy 3/4 ton with an impossible engine to hear much less listen to (stock 216) is getting a remote head unit with PACKED mp3 player feeding it under the seat.

26. havi

havi

I follow my dad's mantra..... No radio to hide the noise of the car, in case something happens, you want to be ready. But I think he just likes to hear the engine.

Me too.

27. Same here..in fact my HHR panel has XM...I listen to channel 164 to the "Radio classics" channel...Bogart, Bob Hope, The Shadow, Green Hornet etc etc but my hotrods generally are tune-less....I think I'll break my habit and put some nice tunage in my 34 coupe tho. I must be gettin soft.

28. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

The 54 had a modern stereo installed in the glovebox when I got it. I took it out to make room for my gloves :D

29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I love some type of system,cus I do like some do-wop when parked or long trip,so most have had something.:cool:

30. Deuces

Deuces

Mine has one... There are times I don't listen to it..... And there are times I kick out all 500 watts listening to some great classic Rock & Roll.. :D:cool: