Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 chevy truck suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicchevyguy, Apr 20, 2011.

1. classicchevyguy

classicchevyguy
    from ky

Hey guys I'm 16 an got a 56 chevy truck I'm restoring. I'm on budget an was thinkin about a camero. Subframe was wonderin if u had any idea on it or others. Thanks dylan

2. Use the search!

3. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

4. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

...and welcome to the HAMB. It's great to see someone who is sixteen that is interested in old American iron.

5. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

Why? repectfully at 16 I had a lot of ideas that I should not have done and minimal $$. The stock suspension is for the most part just fine. I put a MII in my 56 and I wondered if it was really worth all that hassle. If it is really broke then maybe, if it is to be trendy then I would the work/$$ towards other parts of the truck. just saying.

6. classicchevyguy

classicchevyguy
    from ky

Thanks guys but I've also heard that a lot of guys use nova or monte carlo sub frames an what is the best way 2 lower it

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

1. do you have a GOOD welder?
    2. How much will it cost to rebuild the worn out subframe that you want to swap in?
    3. are you willing to be without a truck for the weeks it may end up taking?
    4. what is your budget? can you afford to double it?

you won't get all that low with a simple subframe swap. you would be money ahead to z the frame and channel it. You may have heard the term body drop. Same thing.

8. RichG

RichG

On a budget? Stick with the stock suspension, maybe pull a leaf or see about getting a drop axle... then drive the snot out of it. At 16, if this is going to be your driver, don't get in over your head (take it from someone who at 17 tore his '59 to the ground and ended up walking everywhere for several months until I could get it back together).

9. sinticket

sinticket

Here is mine with the stock suspension (for the most part) drives great...would not think of putting MII under it!!!! Dont get in over your head...youll wish you didnt! my .02

[​IMG]

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Don't mickey mouse it by putting a subframe. The stock suspension is very durable. If you want to lower it just get some new dropped springs. It will have a better ride then with the stock springs. Do research. Check out the places that sell parts for your truck like Brothers, Jim Carter, The truck shop, the filling station, etc....etc........

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Drive it with the stock suspension until you can put a dropped axle in it. Pick up a dropped axle, completely assemble it and swap the whole thing into your truck on a weekend. That way you will keep the down time to a minimum. I like to get a vehicle running as fast as possible the enjoy it while fixing it up. I've seen too many projects that never get completed while trying to get it finished before driving it.

12. Moondog13

Moondog13

I agree and second everything else that has been said here. :D