Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anybody got a slant 6 in their ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 70dodgeman, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

I got an aluminum 225 block the other day. I've also got a set of hyper-pak exhaust manifolds and an intake.

Who got a leaning tower of power in their car?

Lets see some pix?

2. Choptop

Choptop

3. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

Love the DCOE's !!! Nice :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  4. dmikulec

dmikulec

Now THAT'S cool! :cool:

5. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

I've built a bunch of them and there's one in my girl's '64 Valiant wagon that's gotten lots of my attention. But my buddy is currently building a turbo slant with six Mikuni carbs. We'll let you know how it all plays out.

No pics at this time but it's apparently all coming together.

clutch_dumper likes this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

got one in my 61 Dodge. had a vibration above 60, after a couple years of commuting the crank actually broke into two pieces. sucker still ran with the broken crank!!

I won a Clifford Research "Hyperpak" intake in a raffle at the Mopar show here one time for a dollar.. sold it on ebay and it went to Australia for like $250.00.

I have a regular 4bbl intake and a Holley 390 CFM carb for it I plan on installing some day.

7. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

I saw a guy at South Mountain Dragway with a 69 Dart. 225 turbo with a two barrel. Garret t 25 turbo. Used 2.2/2.5 turbo parts off horizon. Are you using motorcycle carbs? Sounds like a cool build.

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

9. eppster

eppster

My summer daily driver is a '76 Charger with a slant six. Head milled .103 , big valves, full port and polish, Clifford intake with Eldo 500 CFM carm, clifford headers and cam ,Mallory dist. and MSD. Sounds like a v-8 idling and I can now pass cars with ease. I guess hearing the "Buzzin' Half Dozen" at the strip just possesed me !?!

10. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

My dad spun a rod bearing in our 64 plymouth going up a steep hill one afternoon. Called the NAPA got bearings dropped the pan. Replaced the rods and mains in the car. Cleaned the pan and put another 50K on that motor till we pulled it for a 413. Can't kill them.

11. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

Found this ride in an image search.

Attached Files:

12. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

In my 71 Dart comp cam ported heads and olley 350 4bbl with 4 speed od and 8 3/4 posi

13. eppster

eppster

Well I did kill one ! I read this article that a old Chrysler engineer wrote saying that he thought that there was no limit to the rpm a slant could turn. So I went and turned 7000 and turned a bearing !!! The thing sounded beautiful like just like a old Offy ! Needless to say, today I shift at 5800, ha!!!

14. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

They're actually from a snowmobile and I'm not sure what size turbo will be used. They will be going in this car though. A little late model for this crowd.
    [​IMG]

15. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

That is a cool wagon and it looks like it's in good shape. Keep us posted.

@ eppster - I blew one up to. I was doing a huge burn out on a steep hill and the tires bit the pavement. Boom! the #5 rod knocked the starter motor off and set the engine bay on fire :)

16. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

It's funny that everyone considers these motors to be indestructible but I've personally witnessed the demise of probably four and they never go quietly. My favorite stories are when they blow a fist size hole in the side of the block and continue to run.

17. Where did you get an aluminum block ... if it is OEM, what the hell did they come in?

My folks had a '66 and a '73 Valiant with the ole 225 when I was growing up ... errrr, getting older actually, still haven't "grown up" yet:D.

18. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

My daily driver has one, but it is an O/T '75 Duster. I swapped in a GM HEI ignition, runs great!

19. john61543

john61543

1935 Dodge Brothers pickup. 1978 Plymouth slant 6:

Attached Files:

20. Dad once had a 65 Barracuda with a 225 and a 4-speed. Loved that thing.

21. eppster

eppster

Originally all Valiant/Dart production had the intent of being manufactured with aluminum blocks. Because of process problems only a percentage of the cars were produced with the aluminum blocks for the first two years of production. After that the aluminum block was dropped. Most surviving aluminum blocks are wrecked because of water/antifreeze corrosion. The cast iron block is so strong because they used the same molds as the aluminum blocks. It's been rumoured for years that Mopar also cast some aluminum heads but none have ever surfaced.

22. EPPSTER ... thanks for the info regarding the aluminum blocks.

23. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Got one, would love to have a set of Clifford headers and a dual carb intake for it,

24. I had a '63 Dart with a 225 in the early 80's. Car ran like a bat outahell. I put in storage on my dad's land near Saugus, CA for a few years and some tweakers from the trailer park near by hacked it apart and stole the engine. Same assholes stole the rear springs from a '63 F-100 I had there too. They didn't try get anything else but to add insult to injury they bust every piece of glass it had.

25. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

The slant six was first made of iron like any other engine the 62s were a one year only expermental thing. they had no freeze plugs in the block.

26. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

One blown the other with a turbo.
    The one in my avatar is also running a slant.
    Robert

Attached Files:

27. BarryA

BarryA

Tired one in my avatar car runs on 4 some days, it's fouling 5&6 that bad. Still keeps on going though. If it justwould die, I'd be more motivated to figure out the 5-speed column shift I want to throw behind the fresh motor I got taking up space on an engine stand........that one did run bearings a while back though so maybe:eek::rolleyes:

28. 2002p51

2002p51

I shot these at the "MoPar Thunder" event at Bristol Dragway last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I saw this one at a car show a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. sololobo

sololobo

What an amazing thread, where is Lindross with his slant-six hotties? Thanx for the hip post. ~sololobo~

30. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Attached Files: