Register now to get rid of these ads!

The T-Bird got a new Stance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gecko54, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^ your kiddin right? ^^

2. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Gecko PM'd me asking for another PhotoChop. This whatcho talkin' about?

[​IMG]

3. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Dont want to rain on anyones Parade, But are these cars that "lay frame" or are "in the weeds" Traditional?
    I bought one from a guy who was in a Low Rider Car CLub because he needed money bad and it was cheap. Hell it was so difficult to drive home that I put it up for sale the next day.
    I think Lowered a little is ok but I do not understand why someone would lower it that much.
    I looked at a few pictures of "A Truck" that is that low. Seems like you destroy an hauling ability of a truck.
    Don't jump all over me guys, Just seems like this style is for the younger Group of Non Traditional Customs.

4. mine with skirts:

[​IMG]

without:
    [​IMG]

I could go either way. I took mine off mostly because they rubbed a little when I was turning and going over a dip at the same time (getting in a driveway).

Drop is 2"

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

At 47, I don't like to think of myself as old, but I think you've hit the nail on the head with that last sentence. I'm not judging anyone, I mean I run radials and a tilt column for Christ's sake, but I like to think it's at least a traditionally inspired Kustom. It's kind of like customs, bombs and low rider's are getting all jumbled up these days. Again, not beating up on anyone, just contributing to a discussion.
    Paul

6. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Where's the drooley smiley? Beautiful car man, just perfect!

7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I think it doesnt look as good as it does w/out skirts and w/ Supremes, but it aint my car so i'll shut up about it.

As far as the too low discussion, i agree sometimes it doesnt look so good when a car lays rockers, but most of the times it does look good indeed.
    A laying T-bird looks titties.
    As far as traditional goes, did you read Watson's book?
    Grapevine was seriously and heavily slammed, and it didnt have a hydraulic set up, it had stepped a arms and c notched frame, and many cars of that era were so low w/out having the ability of rising up for curbs or obstacles of sort. So why this hate on lowered cars? i consider this talk the same as when someone says "dont molest this nice original car"...get it?

I think this all "too low to be traditional" thing has been blown out of proportions.

I could go on forever on this but i'll shut up cause it really doesnt make sense, as you all know, opinions are like Aholes...:cool:

8. RacerRick

RacerRick

I personally like the car at your normal ride height, with astros and narrow whites with no skirts. Totally mid 60's vibe there.

9. Mr Blue

Mr Blue
    from Florida

Dont change a thing, looks perfect laying rockers. Sinister:)

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey man, I don't see any hating going on here. I love low cars, and Larry Watson is my personal hero. If I could get my kripple kart any lower I would, but with the wheelchair adaptations she's as low as she will go, which is why I've adopted a slight rake as an alternative. I fully agree that lowered cars are traditional, I just don't understand the all the way down laying rocker look. A little ground clearance, even if it's only 2 inches, just enough to cast a slight shadow makes a car look driveable is all. And of course like you say this is purely my personal opinion. Oh yeah, if that red convertible had chrome wheels I'd be changing my underwear right about now. Also, I like the skirts on the original poster's car

11. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Here is my old Bird. I love 63's

[​IMG]

12. The car looks great ,traditional? who gives a shit? Way overused phrase around here by so called experts. When using the term you should have to state your age. (55)

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Kripfink dude, i wasnt talkin directly to you, nor anybodyelse in particular, i was simply airing the vent:cool:!
    No hateing from here too, when i said that i can go on forever i simply meant that its a subject on which i could talk for sometime, but it doesnt make much sense, cause its mostly a matter of opinion.

Also Rex, i agree, many overused words and phrases, i sure couldnt care less ;). All i care about is to please myself, and everybody shoul really.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I believe the low or not low thing to be more geographical than maybe age related. Sure the mini truck generation did take it to extremes, and I'm not a huge fan of air bag suspension... Too much of a gadget to me. But lowering a car, done correctly, doesn't hinder it's use as a car. You do however need to build that car around it's ride height. My '48 has a minimum ground clearence of 3" for the last 18 years now, and has avaraged about 20,000 miles a year as my sole transportation. I used to use my car as a traveling salesman - 700 mile days were the commonplace. No bags... But El polacko and myself did plan for that ride height at the very begining of the build. Those miles have been acrued all over the country, in all weather by the way. Was it more difficult to drive in the potholed midwest? Hell yes! Does it "thump" a bit going over the expansion joints on I-17 in Phoenix or I-10 going into Ontario, CA? Yes. Is it uncontrolable or dangerous? Hell no! Do I prefer Arizona's relatively well paved roads to Minnesota's pothole ravaged hell? Hell yes! Would my car be this low if I lived back East somewhere? Probably...

15. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

You make a very good point Rex, I'm "only:rolleyes:" 47, but my interest in vehicles and stylings end mostly around 64, you know pre-musclecar stuff and in my own fuzzy mind "traditional" and "traditionally inspired" pretty much cover cover it as a loose description. I think there's a long way between traditionally inspired and "period perfect". And yeah, if the car looks great that's all that matters, it's just that my taste falls within a certain era.

Glad we are cool man. I didn't really see any problem, but I'd rather play careful and explain myself if there is the slightest chance I have offended anyone
    Paul

16. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Another beauty. I first started driving in my dad's '62 convert so I really got it bad for a bullet Bird. Dig your old one, fantastic color!

17. 32ford07

32ford07

RRBRUCEA where did u buy that bird. looks just like the one my dad used to have about 5 years or so ago. and as far as the guys hating on and talking trash its funny they dont have much to show! whether its traditional or not i love em all. thats an old photo i drug up its the only one i could find of the car. cant really see it

Attached Files:

18. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Oh wow, it was a LONG time ago and I'm not sure where dad got it. Very possible it belonged to one of his patients. We're talking 1973-74 in Iowa. That '62 convert was the first car I was driving when I got my license. Then I managed to get enough money together to buy my own car, a 1970 Dodge Challenger. And yes, I'm old... LOL!

Finally, just to be clear, I don't have a car in this thread, although I WISH I did!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  19. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Wow....I just thought I'd share a little of my current project. Is it traditional....NO. Is it to low....only if I hit the switch. Is it inspired by the style of the early sixties...I think so. It also has one of those fancy new fangled music things in that don't play 45's, but you can't see it. We all have different taste and that has MADE Hot Rods and Kustoms what they are. Thanks for the Chop RRBRUCEA, Yes, that's what I was looking for. Bones....Thanks for positive input. Wheels, tires and yes Skirts bolt on so I can enjoy many styles. For the record I'm 47.....not quite a Kid but young enough to adapt to the available technology. I'm just having fun with Old cars, isn't that why your here?

20. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

I'm 54 and I like it. I have a '62 that is going to remain stock because I am doing my '51 Vicky all Kustom...but...that looks fantastic. Did you have to do any frame work or anything to get it to lay like that or was it that simple?
    Thanks.
    Michael

21. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

I was willing and ready to have to cut this car while doing the suspension but was surprised at the room in both the trans tunnel and the rear kick up/under trunk area. I had to make two small holes to install the upper link bolts and trim the front a little for steering clearance at full drop.

Attached Files: