Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ahoy there!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 34 Airflow, Apr 20, 2011.

1. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

Hello everyone, just thought I'd stick my head in, I've been a reader of the HAMB for a while but only just got my crap together and joined. I'm currently the secretary of the Rich River Rod & Custom Club based in Echuca, Victoria and have a couple of projects on the go, the big Kahuna is my 1934 Airflow sedan.
    Currently I am in the process of refurbishing a timber clinker hulled Ski-Boat powered by a 250CI Dodge Sidevalve motor built in the early 1960's.
    Once that is finished the Airflow will be my priority. Here is a before shot of the boat taken last summer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. welcome. wow two aussies with airflows doin intros in the same day what are the chances? thats a sweet lookin boat you got there. and an awesome show you run (though ive only been once or twice its one id like to attend more as i used to live in the area and still have family near there)

3. also what are the specs on the motor in the boat(pics?). i have a flathead six out of a desoto and have been told they are very similar to the dodge ones

4. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

Yeah they are all the same basic engine, especially here in Australia. The only vairable is the cubic inch sizes. They are actually very common engines in inboard speedboats of the 60's as Marine kits were readily available for them and they have plenty of torque to get a skiier or three out of the water. Mine has a Tawco Marine conversion kit which has allowance for triple carbs, however mine only had two Carters on it.

As for the multiple Airflows, in the photo of E74's coupe you can see my Sedan in the background.

5. oh i guess that makes sense then. looks like im gonna hafta get in with the vintage speed boat crowd, find me some speed eqipt. brought the motor in the first place off a mate 'cos it was cheap, but i been havin trouble finding go fast bits for it which wasnt originally in the plan.

6. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

Most of the Vintage boat crowd have updated engines over the years, most you will find running a V8 of some description, but worth a try. You still see quite a few marinised Sidey's at swap meets, in fact one at Shepparton Swap last year was cut straight out of a boat, still had a section of the planks and mounting spars attached! As far as speed equipment goes there was heaps available for these engines, marine manifolds won't be the most efficient due for a car given the water cooled, short runner nature of them.
    Here's mine prior to rebuild.
    [​IMG]

7. Welcome aboard! Truely love the boat!!!

8. wkrman

wkrman