Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 Galaxie w/390 trans help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pdub, Nov 28, 2010.

1. pdub

pdub

Hi, just picked up a '63 galaxie in awsome shape. 390 runs great but the 3 spd. shifts like crap and whines terrably. Actually won't shift out of first. I'd like to go auto and it looks like alot of people use a C6, but is there an adapter needed or any specific C6 I need to look for. I'm really looking for a "drop in" application. Thanks, Paul

2. The Fairlane GTAs came with C6 and 390s in 66-68 and there were a lot of other Ford cars with that combo.Shouldn't be too hard to find a C6 with the FE bellhousing pattern.

3. hammerstien

hammerstien

Best off looking in mid 70's pickups for a c6. The FMX was the trans of choice for most cars. It's shorter than a c6 but has way less parts available to it.

4. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

Fmx is cast and aluminum c6 is all aluminum

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

With today's gas prices, I would be looking for an AOD, non electronic, Pre '93. The overdrive will allow that 390 to get a few extra mpg. You will need an adaptor, but in the long run, I think it would be worth it.

Good Luck

6. pdub

pdub

My good buddy has a '64 390 with a cruise-o-matic. Any reason to go C6 or AOD instead of this? Only thing i can see is shift linkage. Locar and others make everything for the c6. Thanks for all the input, Paul

7. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I have that setup in my 63 and I really wish I had the O/D....but that adapter is damn expensive and then you have to buy an AOD on top of it, just out of my price range. Mine is currently having a problem slipping into high gear and I'll be taking it in to the trans shop soon or swapping out for another identical trans that I have sitting in my garage, but I don't know anything about it yet.

My 64 has the same set up as well and when it ran there was 0 probs with the trans.

8. 53 effie

53 effie

"With today's gas prices, I would be looking for an AOD, non electronic, Pre '93. The overdrive will allow that 390 to get a few extra mpg. You will need an adaptor, but in the long run, I think it would be worth it."

The 390 FE bellhousing bolt pattern is unique and not available in a AOD that I am aware of. A C6 would be the way to do. Mid 70s pickups have them as mentioned but also be aware of a couple different tailshaft styles. You want the one with the long tailshaft and slip in style driveshaft yoke.

9. 53 effie

53 effie

The 390 FE bellhousing bolt pattern is unique and not available in a AOD that I am aware of except aftermarket - expensive. A C6 would be the way to do. Mid 70s pickups have them as mentioned but also be aware of a couple different tailshaft styles. You want the one with the long tailshaft and slip in style driveshaft yoke.

10. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

You may be better off and it would be a lot easier just to have your trans rebuilt or replace with one from another 63-4 Ford thats in good working order. Other transmissions from FE powered vehicles will work but sometimes you have to have the shifter arm from your trans swapped into the donor trans so everything will work like factory intended.
    A cruise-o-matic is a very good trans in my opinion, as I've had several and never "blew" one up.

11. pdub

pdub

Would a 4 speed bolt right up to the bell housing? Looks like 8 bolts and a hole in the floor to me. I would prefer a manual. But Money and ease of install is the main focus. Thanks everyone!!

12. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Just talked to my trans shop today, was told to expect a $1500 to $2000 bill to have my cruise-o torn down and rebuilt. Honestly I don't want to spend that much and still be stuck with the same 12-14 mpg that I have now. I know some other members of the Ford Galaxie Club of America have 63 Galaxies with the 390 and AOD, one from the Atlanta area claims 21mpg highway. I found an AOD built to handle 500hp for about 1000 and the adapter is about 850 (comes with new starter etc.).

In my book, I would rather spend that money on the AOD than the Cruise-o, even with the additional work it would take to get it put in. I do have a spare Cruise-o in the garage but not knowing anything about it's internal condition has me leery of swapping them out.

13. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

You will be alot happier with the AOD anyways. Be carefull that the torque converter stall speed is matched to the rear end ratio. Alot of those big Galaxies ran 3.00 gear sets and with a 28" tire and the 0.67 OD in most AOD's, that means you will be running 1640 rpms at 65 mph. Most AOD converts stall (lock up) at around 2200. I have always been told that you want your stall speed to be lower than you ideal cruise rpms or alot of energy (gas) will be wasted and excess heat generated. If I am wrong, I am sure one of the many trans experts on here will correct me.

Good Luck.

14. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

That is high. We can beat that by quite a ways, especially if it's out of the car. The Cruise-O-matics all seem to be a bit 'slushy', nature of the beast. But they did like to break the main webbing in the case. That causes all kinds of fun issues. If you feel like shipping it to Kansas we could hook you up. Of course, it's a heavy fucker and ups will probably hate you. If you, or anyone else out there in the wide world of the HAMB are interested hit me with a pm. Have the parts on the shelf.

15. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks, I ordered an upgraded AOD and trans adapter, I'll be sure to make sure to double check the converter. I'm looking forward to the increased range on a tank of gas for sure.

Damn, I wish I would have known earlier! Being in Salina it's not all that far away from ya.

16. Racewriter

Racewriter

Travis - look around a bit. Believe it or not, a popular swap isa 700R4 behind a FE. Google the swap; the adapters are about the same price as the AOD adapters, and I hate to hurt anyone's feelings but a 700R4 is 10 times the tranny that an AOD will ever be. Cheaper too.

17. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Seriously consider your rear gear ratio with the AOD. The 0.67 high gear means you can run a pretty steep rear end gear, and still have a tall gear for highway cruising. With 27 inch tires (probably about the size on your Ford), a 3.50 gear, you will run about 22-2300 rpm at 75 mph in fourth. With this rear gear, you are pulling about a 2.35 gear in fourth.

The added bonus of this is that your car will be substatially sportier around town with a lower rear gear.

18. I had a '63 box top with factory P code 390 and 4 speed Ford trans, and bench. If was fun to drive but I broke it with just a little aggressive shifting.

19. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I thought about it, but my heart made me stay with a FoMoCo design, maybe a mistake in the end but it's how I went. If I have problems I guess I will have learned my lesson. I can always upgrade again and use the AOD in one of my other cars.

Thanks, for now I'll just have to live with it as is, but I may have to do a gear swap later if it's just not enough around town. This car is 95% highway usage, so mpg is king especially with the gas prices heading up again.

20. C6 Is my VOTE!!! Don't bother with the truck C6 trans.They have a bolt on yoke.Find a C6 with a slip yoke and if the drive shaft is good get that too.

21. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I fully understand about going with what you have for the time being.

My point was not that the car needs more gear around town, but that a big heavy car might not like too tall of an overall ratio to get optimum mileage. I'm sure you will gather some data; please keep us updated.

22. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

I have 3.70:1 gears on my edsel ! Currently there is 3spd manual overdrive transmission,
    which is quite worn. Best solution is AOD ? or TH7004r,
    which one fits better? Must think shifter linkage too.. I wanna stay with column shifter, to keep illusion of orginality alive :O)

23. fourdorfast59

fourdorfast59
    from denver

Four speed! A T-10 will handle what you need it to, just don't abuse it to bad

24. Squatch

Squatch

I had a used T-10 4-speed in my garage with all the goodies to mount it in my Galaxie wagon... just to spend $800 to rebuild my cruise-o-matic... too easy... that was a rebuilt pump... and convertor too... plus I am adding the slide away column later anyways... so it needed to stay auto... Check your prices on the rebuild...

25. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

c-6 is the way to go and they are a very strong trans.

26. HeavySS

HeavySS
    from Nor Cal

27. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas