Register now to get rid of these ads!

Waterless Car Wash -- What Type ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomsrule, Apr 19, 2011.

1. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

For years, all my cars have run in patina or suede. Now I have one all painted, in near show condition.

I know there are waterless car washes available, usually in hand-held spray bottles .... but what's the best and safest brand/type to get? How have they worked for you? Anything I need to watch out for?

No pictures as it has no interior yet. Besides, I don't know how to post them .... but my son said he'll come over as soon as it's ready and take care of it for me, so I'll have some pics up soon.

2. The quickest way to turn your new shiney paint into a "patina" look is with a waterless car wash spray. Unless you're just going to use it for water spots, then I'd get Meguires.

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Assuming you're going to actually drive the car, IMO, a simple flush with the garden hose will get road film, dirt, bugs, etc. best. If the body is made of paper mache, don't use the garden hose. Stu

4. RDR

RDR

water spots are a bitch...basically for the last 13 years my chevy has been washed with DRI WASH 'n GUARD...simple, and I like simple...it has never hurt the paint and as much respect as I have for Meguiars, I used their DETAILER that was given out at a car show and went to remove a white bird turd and got one hell of a scratch from whatever was in the bird shit....NEVER had that happen with DriWash...
    What sold me on Dri Wash was using it on a test fender then taking a spray gun with primer and shooting primer on it...NO FISH EYES and stuck like a leech....Worked for me!.....The most damage my paint has recieved comes from the 100,000+ miles of driving ....
    RDR

5. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

You know birds eat rocks. The scratch was more with how you took it off and/or the rag you used. The fact that you used meguiars on that particular bird shit doesn't mean that driwash wouldn't have caused the same scratch.

6. phukinartie

phukinartie

I use Adams on my sparkley stuff All of their stuff works great for me!

7. LynchMOB

LynchMOB

I have always had good luck with Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. In the winter I will take the car to the u-hose-it and knock the heavy stuff off and then use the Optimum No Rinse at home in the garage. You can also mix it stronger and put in a spray bottle for a decent quick detailer.

8. davis574ord

davis574ord

I use a damp baby diaper and follow right behind it with a dry one then carnuba wax, works great!

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

It all depends how heavy the road grime is and what type. If it's very light dust and I mean light. I have always used surf city garage speed demon. It suspends the dust from the paint right onto the towel. I am one fussy SOB and that stuff is amazing any thing else wash it. Don't risk dragging crap across the paint some particles are just to heavy to be removed with a spray bottle

10. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

Have never washed my car ever! Drove home in the rain from San Jose Classics and Customs show in the rain last december. Still havent washed it! I just wax it once in a while with whatever is close by. I wipe it down with a Kozak brand Drywash cloth. I love them for dusting and keepin static down. For touch ups i use "paint gloss prep" from P&S or Adams Detail Spray with a terry towel. Works great.

11. RDR

RDR

10-4....I realized that.....but again, never had it happen in 13 years of using DW on other bird doo:confused:....just sayin'

12. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I run my car through the car wash at the corner gas station. With a fill up it cost me $2.

Wipe it down with soft rag and I'm on my way.

13. punisher7

punisher7

I use S100 to wash my cars and motorcycle. It is not waterless, but it is very quick/easy to use. Just spray on the s100 and then hose it down. I use 2-3 cloth diapers and dry the car off. No water spots, and looks great. 15 minutes and you are done.

14. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

What sold me on Dri Wash was using it on a test fender then taking a spray gun with primer and shooting primer on it...NO FISH EYES and stuck like a leech....Worked for me!.....The most damage my paint has recieved comes from the 100,000+ miles of driving ....
    RDR[/QUOTE]

If you did not get fish eyes, then it remove all the wax. I would rather keep the wax on my car.

15. wash/wax all by aerocosmetics. used on planes, boats,my daily drivers and rods.

16. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

If my car has light dust, not heavy dirt, I first use a Calif. duster and then Prolong Waterless wash. Keeps a nice shine and has never failed me.

17. RDR

RDR

If you did not get fish eyes, then it remove all the wax. I would rather keep the wax on my car.[/QUOTE]

.....,,,,the guy trying to sell me said it didn't have any silicone in it so that was why the primer test on an old fender....by the way, my car has never had wax on it in 13 years....only DWnG....I'm too lazy

18. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

Good info -- thanks! Any more ??