Register now to get rid of these ads!

exhaust manifold gasket question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whid, Apr 18, 2011.

1. whid

whid

I'm installing stock cast iron manifolds on a SBC using stock type gaskets...at the risk of sounding like an idiot...does the metal or shiny side go towards the head or the exhaust manifold....any sealer ?......thanks ....whid

2. The shiny side goes toward the manifold because the manifold will grow when hot and contract when cooling and the smooth surface will allow it to slide over the gasket insteat of ripping it.

Not a stupid question BTW, I have seen them put on the other way, so not everyone knows this.

bajabob likes this.
  3. whid

whid

thanks...I did not know that........whid

4. bob308

bob308

don't use gaskets at all. the bolt right up to the head. they did not use them from the factory. infact you are asking for leaks if you do use them.

5. tig master

tig master
    from up north

They had pristine mating surfaces at the factory not so much after a couple of years in service.All the major gasket companies include the gaskets in their sets.
    Just a 2¢ observation. :D

Tig.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I DO use it, just a thin film of the copper RTV on the mating surface. No leaks. :cool:

7. Unless you have pitted mating surfaces, I wouldn't use the gaskets. I've seen some old manifolds and heads that clean up really good with a scotchbrite disc.

8. bob308

bob308

like i said i don't use them never had a problem. in fact to only time i have ever seen or rather heard a leak was when some one tried to use them.

i bought a 83 truck with 305. both sides had a leak took the gaskets out no more leak.