Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 speed tranny help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NickAnchorheart, Apr 16, 2011.

1. NickAnchorheart

NickAnchorheart

I hhave a 54 chevy, 235 with the 3 speed column shift. Its my daily driver. 3rd gear has been poppin out on the highway for a few months now. Its gotten pretty bad. Was makin adjustments here and there in the linkage, but its to the point where I need to replace. However today, a loud chatter came and is constant now when the clutch is disengaged. In neutral and in gear. Gets faster as I increase spead and vise versa. Was told its probably the throw out bearing. I removed the inspection plate on the bell, but to me everything looks fine and intact. What should I look for? Or what other opinions do you have as to what it coulld be? If I can just replace the throwout rather then the entire tranny that would be better. Help me out man. Cheers! Nick

2. R Pope

R Pope

Yeah, it's the throwout bearing.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

As far as the jumping out of high gear goes, it was common for the 2-3 shift fork to wear on old Chevrolet three speeds. Pull off the side cover and check it out.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If I recall correctly, that jumping out of gear is likely due to a worn syncronizer assembly...in which case the trans needs to come apart.

Ray

5. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

the trans needs to be taken out, sold for it's weight in scrap mental and a T5 put in its place.

6. tony31a

tony31a

If its chattering while you are driving its probably not the throwout bearing. That should only make noise when you press on the clutch pedal. Sounds like it's time for a rebuild.

7. with everyone doing open driveline upgrades bet there is quite a few 3spds laying around cheap that you could pick up at core price and overhaul then install in your 54'.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

While the condition you suggest is a possibility, I've fixed this problem on many '49-'65 Chevy three speeds over the years by replacing the 2-3 shift fork. It's much smaller than the forks in modern 3 and 4 speeds, and wears much more as a result. It generally wears more on the side that pushes it into high gear and, when worn excessively, never pushes it all the way in.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Ray

10. Those old 3-speeds were nowhere near as good as a more modern trans. The whole time I was growing up (12 yrs.) our family car was a '53 bought low miles at 6 months old. With my dad driving it like there was a bowl of goldfish on the seat the tranny lasted less than a hunnerd thou', and later with my bro driving it; much less.

My point being, the advice about the T-5 is good, but if you can't afford it right now, fix what you have if possible, but school yourself here on the H.A.M.B. and start looking for deals.

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

You need to replace the 2nd / 3rd gear synchro sleeve. Chev used that same style up thru 1957 in their 3 speeds. The blocker ring gets worn, and it'll just slip out of 3 rd gear. I used to keep a cpl of them handy, when I owned a 57 Bel Aire !

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

ps; replace the forks at same time. 4T

13. NickAnchorheart

NickAnchorheart

Thanks! Everyones suggestions and comments are helpful. I can't afford much right now. I'll see aboout replacing the 2nd 3rd gear fork. The chatter has got to be the throwout bearing. Since it doesn't happen when the clutch is engaged. When I drove it home the otherday, only a mile drive.. the chatter wasn't there. However, it'll come back. If anyone has another trans, or finds one, please post me a link. Cheers!