Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Custom Adventures of a Dumb-Punk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Custom_Crestline, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Well folks, I suppose I may aswell make a build thread (better sooner than later). I know its tech month and all, and these aren't really tech pics, but I just got done putting a grill in my car, and thought I might aswell boast a little bit. Oh, is it 1961 all over again? Must be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    anyway, The car is gonna get body work and paint soon enough, and I might update on that, but no promises.

Also. I must thank Chicosauve01 (Bruce), without him the grill idea, and grill wouldn't be possible. He is a stand up guy, and a great friend.

When I get the dang car done, there will be a thank-you post a mile long for everyone who has helped this stupid punk kid shape a '54 Ford into a custom to be proud of. That comes in due time.

2. TMoney

TMoney

Can't wait to see it painted. That grill looks great!!!

3. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I agree the grille is killer......

4. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Good looking car. I dig the grille.

What kind of headlight bulbs are those?

5. Looking forward to this one. I love a Desoto grill in a 54 Ford.

6. Oh, the bulbs are lucas slr 700s.

I had my heart set on a Chevy grill, and a local friend had a shortened desoter grill in great shape for sale, and I bought it. Then Bruce hooked me up with his full length bar, stainless, a turn signal housing, and a couple of end teeth. In essence, saving my ass.

Thanks again guys for all the kind words!

7. The grille looks perfect! I dig the bulbs too.

8. Well, its been a year at mid night tonight since I made this post, so I figure I'll give an update.

[​IMG]
    I took that earlier today, I'd say its a pretty vast improvement! I'm waiting on the headlight gaskets to put the buckets and stuff back in, and other small things, but the car will be back together soon, and I can take some more progress pics.

9. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Nice and clean. I dig it a lot!

10. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Very clean nicely done

11. hotdamn

hotdamn

it looks awesome!

where did you find your slr 700's?

I have some in my 54 and when I first did a halogen conversion had it wired wrong and they got as hot as the dickens and one of the lenses cracked...

I wanted to cry...

are yours repops or the real deal?

12. Bigbillyrocka

Bigbillyrocka

I love it. Great job! Can't wait to see more shots.

13. I'm a cheater and used repops, but for the price, I probably should have gone for originals.

I bought them from some jaguar Restoration guy in Florida, they're pretty authentic repops though, but I did have a problem with the silvering on one, but I just set that back as a spare. I can look at the boxes and get you some contact info if you want?

And, Man, I would have cried big big tears. These get so damn hot with the low watt bulbs I have in them, I can imagine what a real bulb would do.

Thank you everyone for the kind words! I'll try and snap some pictures of what I do this weekend, which should be buttoning this up, and throwing half of the interior in, and getting ready for a T-5.

14. MissBelvedere

MissBelvedere

Wes, what an awesome job! All of the hard work and long hours are truly paying off! We are so glad to see how you have progress and can't wait to have you a part of the Rock Rocket Rumble, she will surely make a fantastic and beautiful addition.For those of you that don't know, this was not built by a "dumb punk" so do not let the title of this thread fool you! He is very dedicated to true 50s/60s customs and has spent many hours studying the little books to achieve his vision of a true custom. Keep up the great work and we look forward to seeing your pics.

15. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

GREAT HEADLIGHTS, where'd ya get'm????

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  16. thesupersized

thesupersized

17. hotdamn

hotdamn

I dont want to sound like I am tooting my own horn here but realisticly, any one that searches out a set of lucas headlights gets "it" what ever in the hell "it" is...

and Custom Crestline, I know the place you are talking about, I've seen them on the bay, do the repops have made in england on them or is that dif between the originals and the repops?

18. hotdamn

hotdamn

as jeffrey james tells me constantly, my camera sucks so these may not show worth a damn but here are my lucas'

afqw.jpg

Attached Files:

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Car looks right on the money. I dig it a lot!

20. hotdamn

hotdamn

yep never mind... sorry I have the worlds crappiest pics...

none the less you're the raddest bro for having good taste:D

21. WOW nice update car looks bitchin. White Suede looks great on that car for sure

22. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

Ya done good Custom Crestline. Looking forward to pix of the grill and headlights after paint. You got some talent hoss!.
    Michael

23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

wanna see it from the front or from the back.....those Lucas "bullet-bulbs" are the shit on kustoms.
    keep us updated.

24. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Well now that this thread came back up, Lucas bulbs are going to sky rocket! Damn you CC!!!!

x2 on the front view pics

25. Pics of the car "complete" (minus the door panels and carpet and stuff, no use in getting anything dirty when a tranny swap is gonna take place) should be here in about a week, I'd say.

And thanks you everyone for the kind words, I love the hell out of this car, and trust me, I don't have that much talent. A good eye, maybe, but not that much ability, yet. However, I do have a group of friends that are some of the most talented folks I've ever met, and willing to show someone under 20 their tricks of the trade, or just do anything for me. I've got some kick ass friends, that's for sure, and a great Pops.

As much as I wish I could, I can't exactly take credit for too-too much, I was along for most of the ride (Triumph Terror did the headlight swap at his shop, and frankly I would have just gotten in the way). But yeah, like I said, there will be a "thank you" post, not that it really matters, I just can't stand people that lift credit for something they didn't do, so I won't back down on my morals, even if it is just the internet.

Also, Naomi, the car will for sure be at the rumble, and thanks! I wouldn't exactly call it research though, just what I've done forever aha. Little books, for little kids, it'll corrupt them forever.

26. [​IMG]

Hey! it hasn't been a year, and its a super close up, but here is the grille, bumper, and headlamps fully installed. When it quits raining tomorrow, I may roll it around and snap some more pictures!

The good thing about this close up shot, is it shows off the inner grille shell panels that my friend (and total bad-ass at metal work) Eric made, as well as a bunch of other neat touches.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  27. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

C C your car is killing me - outstanding!! Tell your dad I said Hi - can't wait to see your car it The Suds

Attached Files:

28. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

There's just something that really works about all of it. It's understated, and just right.