Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods This 55' Ford Gasser isn't a "Barn find", It's a SHELF find !!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Muttley

Muttley

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Unreal,great looking car that will be an easy restoration for some lucky guy. I'm buying an extra Lottery ticket today.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I drive by that building almost everyday. I have heard story's about there being a old race car on a shelf in there but was never able to confirm it

Well you just confirmed the story's:D

Was there a Willys in there to at one time?

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Actually there was two Willys in there at one time,... but he sold them about 10 years ago,.... I was disappointed when I found out he sold them,...

But even tho I was in this place a number of times,.. I never even seen the Ford, And I must have walked past it many times. Who would ever suspect there would be an old Gasser on a shelf,... with a bunch of stuff on it, to hide it ???

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

I'll have to look into it and possibly make some corrections on this,...

I just got a P.M. from a guy I greatly respect about the 55,.. He's usually very accurate and I am glad he called it to my attention,... It was ProEnfo and his message is as follows,....

"This car originally ran A/G with a 25% set-back 406,

Dennis,
    Cool car & great story, sorry to say though that 10% was the max set back for gassers.. 25% would have required it to run as an Altered.

I don't mean to be picky but I'm as bad as you are about historical facts when it comes to these old cars... "

This isn't being "Picky" my friend,... this is being accurate,... and were all about that, especially when it comes to correct history on these retired race cars. Thanks !

6. Butch M

Butch M

Way way cool.....

7. zep058

zep058

[​IMG]

Looks like the tough kid at school who steals the lunch money.

Good luck harms way, I hope you can do some shuffling to get this under your roof

8. mow too much

mow too much

My first two cars where 55 Fords, the first was a blue Victoria just like it (not a gasser though);), it sure looked good back in its glory days I hope you can recapture the same look.:cool:

9. That thing is awesome! Too bad they took the wheels off!

10. paintcan54

paintcan54

Very nice find, I hope you find it in your heart to get this car and put it back to it's roots, Fords like that are far and few between. If you do have to pass it along to someone else, I hope they will restore it back it it's glory days. Very cool car, and story I would love to see the rest of this mans cars.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's just way too cool!

12. I'm diggin' those "Teddy Z" rear wheel wells...they were done right and in good taste.
    This car will be sold soon without a doubt.

13. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

What a neat car, hope it goes to someone who'll resurrect it...

14. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

I did enjoy it!!! Sure brings back some old memories. Thanks.

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Alright,....
    After a discussion with my buddy,... It turns out This car DID INDEED run A/G,... But my ol' Pal made a mistake on the set back,... This car does have a 10% set back,..... Not 25%.

Good job ProEnfo !,... Thanks for the correction !

16. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

that is AWESOME!!!! What a cool find...

17. falfas55

falfas55

I'm digging it. Good find. Keep the progress posts coming.

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

What a great find ! Another one of these story's where old great drag cars are found in buildings , garages and barns . I really hope the new owner restores it back to the way it should be restored ! Would really be great to see it at a Gasser Reunion one day again ! The guy who built it must have been a really kool kid in school to build something like that !

I would like to hear the history about the guy who built the gasser and if someone else was involved in the build .

Retro Jim

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

Good point Jim ! ,.... But it's been my experience, that sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for,... :eek::D. I'll see what I can put together,.. and post it eventually,....

In the meanwhile, I keep coming back to these pictures:D,.... I don't need it,.. I cant afford it right now,..... And I know I'm not going to get it,.... But DANG !, And I mean DANG!!!!,... I'm really not even a Gasser guy,.. But this thing just calls to me !

IMHO,... This is everything a true 60's Gasser should be !

20. 4t7flat

4t7flat

The pictures and the story of that car should be posted on the "HOT RODS OF DEARBORN" web site. I lived in west Dearborn during that time,but don't remember the car.

21. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

That is so cool. Love the pictures of it in it's heyday. Hope someone restores it to it's
    original gasser look.

22. duecesteve

duecesteve

That is such a badass ford it is beggin to be brought back! There is one here on the cape my buddy owned in high school 79 era. the tri power and 406 is gone, but it does have a cobra jet 428 in it. still red primer in a garage for 20 years and of course not 4 sale &^&%$@$#%*&*.

23. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

that is awesome! my grandpas old dirt track jalopy was in the rafters of an old barn for about 44 years. my grandpa drove it last in 1965. he pulled it on the trailer and decided to quit racing that day, they took it home and the car owner put it in the barn. 44 years later they get to talking about how much fun it was, about 5 hours and some new hoses, belts etc. she fired off and drove around the farm. it was at the track with my 72 year old grandpa wheeling it around. it was a pretty mild first lap, but then the racer in him took over! he ended up stoking the coals to her before it was finished! the best part is it still had mud in the seat from the last time he drove it in 1965! my dad, brother and I were his pit crew, never had so much fun wrenching on someone elses car!

Needless to say, it was a night we won't ever forget. its amazing what a piece of iron can do to a man!

24. ScottV

ScottV

Great find and score !!!

25. MERC 55

MERC 55

Nobody said anything about the clutch and brake single peddle, very old trick. But it worked

26. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Not much of a gasser guy but that is the way that car should stay.....Love It!

27. warriorgas

warriorgas
    from michigan

harms way i am sure your friend is clyde hensley and him and pat were buds i used to work next store at ruttmans as a kid ther were all kinds of neet things in that building it was called daisey plastics cj potters bike was in there also like said earlier a pair of willys that i think clyde got also just adding what i know i worked for ruttmans for years later

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dammmm do I need this car!!!!!

29. jimdillon

jimdillon

Dennis, that is a great find. Hope someone local grabs it. Would love to see it run again, preferably with a 406. It has just the right look.-Jim