Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you remove a headlight switch from a 1956 cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cookiemonster131, Apr 13, 2011.

1. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

So the question is how do you remove the headlight switch from a 1956 cadillac. i know it has a bezel but the bezel will not let the switch come out of the dash without the knob and post removed. does it have a release switch on the switch itself like a ford?

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

2. recks

recks
    from oceanside

If It i like my '60 you have pull the switch all the way out and then press the spring loaded button located on the side of the switch near the back side. my dash is off so it's easier to see but that should do the trick. hope it works.

3. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

sounds good, kind of figured that was the way but it is hard to even get my hand up the the switch in the dash much less hunt for a button, anyone else have experience or want to confirm what recks said?

4. 2x..I did it on a 57....pull the knob/shaft out and push the spring load button on the switch by snaking your hand and arm up under the dashboard. OH, and you have to do both at the same time as the button will stick and you have to wiggle the shaft slightly to remove it from the switch.

5. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

Thanks guys you are the best!

6. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Hope that worked for you as most GM switches were built that way. My 55 Olds switch comes out the same way. Won't need to push the button putting it back in. It will snap lock back in when you push it the in the hole.

7. Bad Luck Engineering

Bad Luck Engineering

Yep, I had to pull the headlight switch out of my '56 Cad last week. It's not too tough once you find the button, as long as it isn't totally frozen in place. I already had my instrument panel out, so I guess that's probably considered cheating.

Good luck.