Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which flathead would You run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Jan 3, 2011.

?
  1. Flathead Ford V8

123 vote(s)
    65.1%
  2. Flathead Hudson Big 6

66 vote(s)
    34.9%
  1. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

I like the Hudson. It's cool to be different.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

By special request. This photo was in TRJ a while ago. Cadillac V-16 in a '33 Ford coupe.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
  3. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Hudson, cuz it's too cool! And that's coming from a guy that runs flatties!

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

Wow, George! Thanks for that pic. That thing is insane looking and makes the 308 look downright dainty by comparison. Anyone know anymore about the engine in that photo?

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Here you go.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_V16_engine

Quite the motor. They built a flathead v-16 from '38-'40, but its a pale shadow of this beast. There were actually a few cars that ran with these motors at the lakes. kind of surprised TRJ guys failed to id it. I rode in a '30 V-16 club sedan when I was a kid. Felt like Al Capone...

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Should mention, when thse were installed in Caddys, they used updraft carbs. The one in the photo has been converted to downdrafts.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres a little something else I just found, not to get too far off-topic.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eT8DNOLGVRY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eT8DNOLGVRY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Note the updraft carbs.

8. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Gigantor, I spaced and never answered your question about what my pictures are. I am building a roadster on a '31 Model A chassis with a Pontiac straight 8 and an MGTC body. Had it completely mocked up and now have it apart all over the garage going back together. Couple of photos at my profile. That's why I said, go with the Hudson and make it different. Best of luck with your build. Greg in Jax.

Attached Files:

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks, Greg -
    Despite popular opinion from this poll, I am leaning toward the Hudson. You can see some pics of the block sitting between the frame rails that I took this past weekend in my albums page.

Needless to say it will require adding a wee bit (10.25" or so) to the frame length!

I have to call a HAMBer with a 308 back tonight to discuss transmissions and such and I honestly think the outcome of that conversation will convince me one way or the other.

It would be easy to go with the flow on this... you can't go wrong with a Flathead Ford in an A roadster...

It's hard to go against the grain on this but its different and wouldn't "fit in". I never fit in too good myself though.

10. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

I am with you all the way. The engine stands in the garage in background of one of my photos both have Ford flatheads on them, but I wanted something different. The roadster probably won't fit in anywhere but I then don't either. What kind of transmission are you looking to run? Vintage or modern? Greg

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

The hardcore white triangle Hudson guys are pushing hard for the wet cork clutch and stock transmission...
    the gentleman I want to talk to tonight has a modern transmission (a Muncie I just found out) on his 308 and I would like to hear first hand how he did it and how he likes it.

Personally, I think a more modern transmission is the way to go on this...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  12. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

I wouldn't vote for the Hudson 3-spd or the Ultramatic, but the '54s with the Hydramatic were a nice setup and that would keep a vintage driveline. Of course a T-5...

I will either go with a '39 Ford or the Pontiac 3spd on mine, can still go either way right now and have both, doesn't impact the chassis welding.

Good luck! That Hudson looks great in profile in your album.

13. lanny haff

lanny haff

The Hudson is a much better engine. I f flatfords were any good there wouldn't be so many Chevies in Fords!

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

DUDE! That's a good way to get strung from a tree around here! Shhhh!!!

15. shoestring

shoestring

They both have soul. With weather like this I'd choose the one that got my roadster driving soonest!

16. lanny haff

lanny haff

I had a bunch of flathead fords in my day + the main thing I remember is overheating.

17. Gigantor

Gigantor

Just got off the phone with a Hudson owner that is VERY happy with his 308 and gave me some much needed information...

Thanks again, Mike... looks like you tipped the scale for me in the end!