Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Galaxie brake booster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pie pie, Apr 5, 2011.

1. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Well after going through all the brakes it seems that the booster is not working. What kind of car can I get a booster for that will swap in? Right now it's 4 wheel drum but will eventually swap to discs and double master cylinder.

2. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Best bet is to send the bad unit to Booster Dewey.

3. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Who is dewy?

4. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

How about a '64 Ford Galaxie?
    CARDONE #54-79401, remanufactured only $396.00 with free shipping and a $91.50 core deposit.

6. The original booster is $$$.

I recently did a power disc conversion on a 64 Galaxie. I used Scarebird`s kit for the disc and got a booster / master cylinder for a 1985 Crown Vic. I did have to drill a couple holes in firewall and had to fabricate a bracket to attach brake pedal to booster, but overall a fairly easy deal.

The booster / m-c combo was about $150 at Autozone.

7. 62rebel

62rebel

eventually a dual reservoir? no sir. do that soon as possible. that's a 3500 pound dearborn steel instrument of destruction depending on a single bore master cylinder. get one sized for power brakes and deal with the pedal until you get a booster, but ditch that damn fruitjar before you crease up that '63 and/or yourself and others. just saying.

8. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I can get that for like 80 but im curious what has to be modified to hook the pedal up.

9. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I got lucky. I found a guy selling one on ebay new in the box with dual master for 125. It was spelled GALAXY. Now I have to put on my disc brake spindles and get it done.

10. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

NOT SURE HOW MUCH DIFFIRENCE, BUT ONE FOR A 68 Galaxie w/drums all the way around was $80.00 at O'riely auto parts the last time I checked. They at least 68 uses a dual reservoir.

Then again my booster has been out on my 68 for 2 years and I drive it everyday....

11. I tried a booster for a 68. It was just too damn big to fit well.

The modification needed to make a 85 booster work --- The pedal just doesn`t quite reach the rod. You have to lengthen the rod. I added a short piece of 1 1/4 x 1/4 flat , drilled holes in the ends and mounted it.

I wish I had pics.

12. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Maybe I could search for a adjustable rod. That seems like the most cost effective route if it works ok

13. Heo

Heo

I used a Volvo 142-144 booster. M.c. bolt right up just had to made
    the rod longer(think i cut of a unf bolt to the right lenght) and bolted a plate where the old booster was bolted with holes for the Volvo boster. Much better brakes than
    with the stock booster
    But i dont know how hard it is to get a Volvo booster in USA
    in sweden they are plentiful and free

14. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I can get them but they do not come cheap.

15. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Do you have any pictures of the crown Vic booster mounted showing valve cover clearance?

16. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Seriously, call Booster Dewey. He knows what he is doing. Your original master will work just fine and bolt up exactly as it should without any modification.

17. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

I sent mine to booster dewey in oregon, He is fast and there are no cores available anywhere. Plus his service is significantly cheaper than purchasing a reman. When you want to swap to discs, 70's f250 disc/drum master should bolt right up to the stock booster without any mods. (on the 63 anyway.) I believe they are the same.lol

18. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

19. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Man that would be nice but I can buy one and pay the core with the master cylinder cheaper.

20. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Well my uncle gave me this one. He forgot what it was out if but a ford. It has 0-29c is the only number I can find and it's 7 inches. [​IMG]