Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1950 AD is about ready to hit the road

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Apr 10, 2011.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

Im just about done with my truck after 6 months and ready to drive.Some of you may not like everything i did to it ,but it was cheap,done by me and here it is .Metal work ,sum custom touches a new set of tires and finish went along way on this sucker .Just like door glass and a little wiring ,plus some lowering .Keep in mind i built this thing out doors in my little bit of spare time and was a beat to death POS to start with .The vid above is the day i hauled it home in October ...

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      84.3 KB
      Views:
    • 114.JPG
      114.JPG
      File size:
      83.5 KB
      Views:
    • 115.JPG
      115.JPG
      File size:
      71.6 KB
      Views:
    • 116.JPG
      116.JPG
      File size:
      74.8 KB
      Views:
    • 128.JPG
      128.JPG
      File size:
      72.9 KB
      Views:
    • 127.JPG
      127.JPG
      File size:
      93.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. looks good! Congrats.

3. yblock292

yblock292

4. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks guys .Im excited to get back to driving sumthing old daily like i used to :) ...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Nice!! Looks like we're on the same wavelength too, I'm almost ready to put a POS F1 on the road as a daily.... that I also built outdoors!

6. Looks good. Its time to hit the street.

7. The Shocker

The Shocker

I know , i saw your thread and was amazed at your determination to work in those ass feezing conditions .Im really happy with how mine turned out and will fit the bill perfectly as a daily.The best part of all was i only spent $900 to turn this truck into it present state from the day i got it and $600 of it was the Bias White Walls .All the busted ,cracked ,and smashed panels are what ate up most of my time ,but i stripped them by hand and worked them out .I used very little filler believe it or not .I spent a month and a half of evenings and weekends on the bed and rear fenders alone ...

8. scrape

scrape

looks good dude... did you find some early steel wheels to mount those whites on?

9. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I'll say this, I was going to give you a hard time when you said this truck was pretty beat up. After looking close at the pics, I would have to agree with you. My rear fenders have the shape of fenders, but look more like the surface of a golf ball. You did a great job with what you started with. You kept it simple, and that's what brings out the character.

Guess I'll go back to reading everyone else's cool AD builds, since mine is 400 miles away, and I'm a no-garage-havin' LOSER! :)

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I know, those tires are expensive when you're trying to stay within a budget, right? Mine were the biggest single expense so far too. Your Chevy looks a lot smoother than I'm going to make my ford though! Anyhow, the truck looks great, helluva job man. Ready to put some miles on it I bet!

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks again guys .I got the door glass changed ,lights ,and blinkers all wired up .I got it tagged and insured yesterday and i have been driving it around town the last few nights.It looks great for what i started with ,but its by no means flawless ,which is exactly what i was after when i started.I was really surprised that the 61 yearold radiator was able to keep the 350 cool.I drove it around for an hour tonight (highway ,idling ,etc.) and it never broke 190 degrees :eek:...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  12. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks Troy:). Negative on the early wheels.I think these are early 70's wheels ,but the black hides them to a point ...

13. 670-15? firestone/bfg/other?

Truck looks great!

14. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

Nice truck. I like it without the bumpers.

15. The Shocker

The Shocker

6.70 - 15 Universal Bias .They are the cheapest they make i think ,but they worked well on a 56 Pontiac i had on many long distance road trips,so i bought them again.They were $604.00 carry out which is pretty cheap for a Bias wide white IMO.The truck actually drives better than i thought it would with the Bias tires on it .Thanks for the compliment on my truck also :)...

16. What's not to like? It looks great!

17. 4406

from Oklahoma

Looks good shocker.

18. mg98ta

mg98ta
    from Denton, NC

Looks great. I like the home built, use what ya got rides better than the high dollar to nice ta drive rides. This thing still got the stock frame? Subframe or dropped axle? Makes me wanna get my 53 AD up n road worthy.

19. The Shocker

The Shocker

Stock 1950 frame ,mid 80's Cutless front clip ,late 70's Trans Am posi rearend with disc brakes.Fresh rebuilt 4 bolt 350 with a small cam (to make it sound good) and a rebuilt long tail 350 turbo trans.Not really the purist traditional as far as drivetrain goes ,but it drives well and should be cheap to maintain daily .Not what i would call fast but moves the truck around nice even with the 2 barrel ,lol ...

20. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks:) .I drove it to work and back today and loved every sheet metal rattling minute of it ,lol ...

21. The Shocker

The Shocker

Finally got a decent seat for the truck.Found this seat out of a mid 80's Dodge 1 ton church van (its one of the middle seats).Cut the platform out ,shortened the stands ,dyed it black ,and fits great.Has neat fold down armrest on the sides ,springs are like new and didnt have a tear in it.Best part was i paid $15.00 for it .If any else is looking for a seat for their A.D. these seats are exactly the same width as factory ...

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      79.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That makes for a good looking seat in that truck that looks like it belongs there. Glad to see that you are driving it, wish I could say the same for mine as it's a long way from being driven anywhere right now.

23. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Did you take a tape measure to that seat? How wide was it if you did?

24. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks ,i have been driving the wheels off of it all weekend :).Sill have a million little things to do on it ,but the hard part is done ...

25. The Shocker

The Shocker

About 53 inches at the widest point on the bottom part .With the side armrest down and the doors shut there is about an inch between them and the arm rest fold up close into the rear of the cab ,but dont touch...

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      62.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      60 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  26. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Thanks. I am looking for some cheap seats for the rear of my caddy and that just might work. Have to measure when I get home.