Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford What Motor???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toast, Apr 12, 2011.

?

283 SBC or 8ba

Poll closed Apr 17, 2011.
  1. 283 SBC

92 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. 8BA

89 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Ok, some of you know I drove the Coupe to LSR a week or so back. Iknew th motor was weak and rattled above 2500 rpm and still the trip went pretty smooth!
    However, I doo need to replace/rebuild the motor and depending on what motor I use maybe change rear, atleast gears.
    I am not a racer but I doo like the car to move when I stomp on it:rolleyes:

1)I have a 61 283 with a hot cam and old 2X4 Corvette setup on it sitting on a stand in my shop. At least 3 times a day I tell my self to just go ahead and use that motor, more power easier to find parts, you know??

2)On the other hand I really want to either rebuild or buy another 8BA Flathead which is what is in the car now. But they are sooo expensive! I have a set of Aluminum heads and a 2x2 setup for the Flatty??

I really want to buld a warmed up flathead, but geez it is expensive? Give me your vote!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  2. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I voted 283 cause I know you plan on driving the wheels off this thing and parts are readily available at mom and pops parts houses even in small towns. Break down with a flatty and your calling triple A cause you cant find parts. Not to mention that little 283 would scream in the 40 :)

Scot

3. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks the SBC is ready to go in but then I would want to do a 4 or 5 speed and do a open drive line and change the rear. Too much to think about:confused:

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

8BA.... gotta keep that sound!!!! :D

5. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

If you can swing it man go with the flat head. But hey, we all have money problems so at least it's a 283 and not a crate 350.

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Y blocks in 40's are a natural.......

7. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Yikes! Not an option, but thanks!

8. subdajj

subdajj

Times 2

9. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Only a flathead will sound right.

10. My vote is for 283. Not much modification required to drop one in front of the stock trans, and you always have the option of going back to a flathead later.

11. 2-TONED

2-TONED

noooooooooooooo flatheads!!!
    maybe, MAYBE a flathead if the engine is exposed.

if ever you would consider selling the car you will be much happier that 283 is in there. it'll sell higher, faster, easier...........................

12. OK - I vote to see what's up with your flatty and stay that way if at all possible. I have the brother to your car - 40 Ford std coupe, French block flattie, 5-speed, Ford 8" rear w/3:50 gears, and I drive it up and down the east coast and at speed. The 5-speed really wakes up the flattie and I can keep up with traffic, the boys when we're on a run to a show, and then some more (80 mph plus no problem) and get between 18-22 mpg.

If your block is NG try and find a French block and main caps (or a complete motor for that matter) as that will take care of your "block" issues. I just found a French block and main caps for $1300. But, if your block checks out OK, then start cleaning out the water jackets to get all of Henry's old casting sand out of the block - it's the major reason why flatties overheated. I took out as much as a bucket of sand in some. Use the Speedway (or equivalent) water pumps so there's the second major problem out of the way - no ball bearings but nice insert bearings that are still going in my car after 6 years. Now, convert either your crab distributor to a Pertronix unit (Bubba's does it right) or, if running the later styled top mount unit, get one of Bubbas Chevy-converted pcs - great work and that solves another possible cause of failure. The Pertronix/crab unit will run even if wet. Get your fuel pump rebuilt and install a good electric pump to prime it at start and/or use if the stock pump fails. With these items all of the most likely "flattie" problems are now resolved.

PM me if you'd like for further info - Chevy is definitely the cheaper way to go but I blow so many people away when I tell them that the flattie is still in my car, especially when I pass them on the highway - it gives me a chuckle even now just thinking about it!

Attached Files:

13. Greezeball

Greezeball

283 with the stock drive train. Still traditional and by the sounds of it that 283 is pretty cool with the 2x4. You could build a flatty while drivin it with the small block.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think they are all cool as long as they are period engines so it come to personal preference really. I love flatheads but in my 35 I seen a 265 Chevy V8. And you know what? I think it looks pretty damn good.
    [​IMG]

15. sp1ke

sp1ke

I would go with a 255 cu.in. flathead merc. myself. I just think that would be the thing.

sp1ke

16. rld14

rld14

Ya know what I hardly ever see done? A Lincoln Y Block. I think a 368 would be pretty badass in that car.

17. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Hey TomT, love that 40! Been thinking about one of your friend's short blocks too. Just can't make up my mind.

I kinda like the idea of sticking the 283 in it with the stock drive line and building the flatty when I can afford to do it the way I want. Just put a new Aluminum Flatty radiator ir though:confused::confused:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  18. I was going to say keep the flathead, but then I read TomT's post and now I say definitely keep the flathead!

19. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I know what you mean. I like what he said too!

But here is the 283 ready to go!

[​IMG]

20. pcterm2

pcterm2

i know it is your car- but stay with the flatty

21. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Ask this question of Hot Rod Roadster (Gary) and see what his answer would be to you.....or Greezy.

HellRaiser

22. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thats what I want to do, but I still need to at least change rear end gears either way and between that and the Flathead build, its pretty pricey:eek:

23. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Either or, just keep it Traditional. Are you going for a specific period?

24. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

As Frank Sinatra said...."I did it my way". That's how you ought to build it....

HellRaiser

25. put the 283 in it... the i don't have to continue to think about buying it lol
    tk

26. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Or buy it and won't have to decide anymore. ;)

27. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The POLL currently has the Flathead in the lead :)

But that is the only place the flathead can come out in the lead.

The 283 is very traditional, it fits well and requires nothing but nuts, bolts and a adapter to do. Run the 283. IF ... the 40 ever has to have another flatty ( which I seriuosly doubt ... after the 283 ) ... it can be bolted back in.

[​IMG]

Here is a 283 in the 40 I had. Drove it anywhere, anytime ... at speed all with the stock original transmission and rear end.

[​IMG]

28. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Plan on keeping it traditional, Haven't really decided on a certain period. And may not!

29. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

That 283 looks at home in there:confused: My head is going to explode!:eek:

30. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE