Register now to get rid of these ads!

Re-wirring my 1956 ford fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Well im planning on wirring my car pretty soon. I am for the most part sold on ameriac autowire. Im just not sure what harness to go with. Its either the highway 22 or highway 15 kit. I will be running headlights,tail lights,hazards,turn signals,electric fan,gauges w/lights, electric gauges,dome lights,door jamb switches,radio/amp/subs,glove box light,air ride,record player,light bar,liscense plate lights and a few other acc....

So my question is what harness should i go with?

2. I would say go with a Rebel Harness but that would be shameless. In all honesty do a search on here or give them a call and see which one would fit your needs. Todd

3. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I have heard nothing but good about Rebel wire. I used EZ wiring 3 times but if I did it again I would do Rebel wire. I like to spend my money and support the guy's on here if possible.

4. I like the way that american autowire and ronfrancis have their blocks. How the wire has a clip and screws to it.

5. So with all im running should i go with the highway 15 or highway 22 kit?

6. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

go with the bigger one to be on the safe side. iive got a ez wire mini 21 for one of my projects and would not have a problem buying a rebel wire for the next one. ive seen the units in person and the way there put together. nice stuff.

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Talk to anyone on the 1952-56 Ford Social group that has used Rebel Wire and you will find the service after the sale is off the hook excellent! Help is as close as your phone,that counts for a lot these days, 100% USA made and a HAMB member,why buy anywhere else??

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I have an EZ Wire kit in my 57, but when I do another one I will certainly go with the Rebel harness. Both are great quality, but I'll support the people who support the board

9. HATED1

HATED1

any pics yet?

10. I just dont like pre wired harnesses.

Hey hated, you want pictures of my car?

11. GO BIG! It's easier to not use a circut that to have to add one later. I've used two 18 circut harnesses and haven't needed them all, but I used more than I thought I would. I figured I'd use 13, and on one car I'm at 14 and on the other I'm going to be at 16, maybe 17. Go big and you'll be happy to have extra.

12. x2 on the bigger harness, no matter what brand you buy, there is very little difference between the price of the kit with fewer accessory circuits and the kit with more circuits than you need. That way, if you decide to add a few more electrical accessories, you won't be cobbling up your harness.

13. Ok then...so the 22.circuit it is.

14. F8TL

F8TL

+1 on the bigger unit...

i used a 22 circuit unit and just coiled up the unused circuits and wirenutted the ends then ziptied the coil under the dash.

it is easy to coil wire up, not so easy to redo the harness and overloading a circuit is always a bad idea.

15. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I put a Highwayy 22 in my elcamino and it has circuts for pretty much everything, hi beams, low beams, guages, elc fan, power door locks and windows it think, horn relay, courtesy lights, the whole nine yards. It was pretty simple to install and the directions and scematics are drawn out great. labeled and color coated wires that match the color coated schematic. If you are going with american auto wire do the 22 it was a pretty good kit for me. plus it comes with plenty of extra wire for each circuit and and all the connectors for the relative circuits are bagged up and placed with the wires so it is set up in groups. Lights, interior, dash, engine, etc. and it comes with new switches for ignition, lights and wipers.

16. I think im sold on american autowire. I want to us the original headlight and ignition switch.

17. Well the more I think about it I would really like to find a harness with original style wire (cloth covered) American autowire has the highway 15 nostalgia kit but they want $795. If im gonna pay that price I would like more circuits like the highway 22

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Why couldn't you use the original headlight and ignition switch with the Rebel kit? $800 for a wire kit is ludicrous unless the wires are visible, and even then it's a lot.

19. pcterm2

pcterm2

get in touch with Rebel Harness-support our own

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

$800.00 ?!? That's like a $5,00 flathead. Or a $100,000 '32 roadster. I pity.......

21. Yes.nut.i.dont.want a pre assembled harness again. The american autowire harness has the clips where you just slide on the terminal and arent straight to the block like rebel,eazy or painless

22. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

Whats wrong with a $5.00 flathead that's what I had in my 48 merc convertible. 53 years ago.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  23. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

one word.....REBEL

24. So does anyone sell a non pre assembled harness with cloth wire?

25. Metal Ghost

Metal Ghost

Looks as though their on-line catalog for Ford only has '54 and before. But I would give them a call....it says that they are in the process of updating their Ford catalog, so maybe they have '55-'56 available, just not on-line.

26. Yes, looks as if im gonna have to give them a call since they dont list any fords after 1954

27. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

One wire at a time!It ain't hard to do.

28. Well I have never made my own harness and I dont know where to buy yardage of cloth covered wire. Or who sells a fuse block by itself like the american autowire block.

29. Well narragansett only does stock applications. Im running new moon gauges,air ride,electric fans,door poppers,stereo and all kinds of other stuff.