Register now to get rid of these ads!

final wipe???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, Apr 11, 2005.

1. bct

bct

i'm ready for primer... what should i use for a final wipe ???is a tack cloth good enough???tia

2. torpedo8

torpedo8
    BANNED
    from hell

i use acetone

3. bct

bct

i find thinners leave a chalky residue...laqure thinner does anyway..does acetone??does it soften the body work or existing paint???

4. ABone312

ABone312

I use either wax and grease remover, or a lot of the times just rubbing alcohol. Wipe it on in one direction, then wipe it off in the same direction with a dry rag. Do small sections at a time, and do not allow the wax and grease remover to air dry on the panel. The w&g remover that I use is PPG DX440, It is pretty strong stuff, let the panel air for a few minutes after wiping if there is filler that has been wiped over. That is just to give the solvent a little bit to evaporate out of the filler so it doesn't fuck with your paint.

5. MERCJERK

MERCJERK
    from SAN DIEGO

The chalky residue shuldnt affect anything , Acetone usually leaves the same kind of marks , Id use real pre cleaner if you could , It comes in spray cans also . Ive never seen laquer thinner affect Quality bondo in my daily work .It can cause problems on your feather edge ( if there is one ) depending on what you are feathering into , ( ie cheap paint or primer ) , as long as it dries up before you spray , You shouldnt wipe it slathering wet anyways . Hit it with a tack rag if you got one , It will remove unnessary dust and some of the
    chalky-ness , I always like to spray an etching primer on bare metal as mush as I can , especially if its my car :D Let me know if you have more questions ill try and help.

6. fishtank

fishtank

Go with a true wax and grease remover. Dupont also has a product named Final Kleen. It works well too.