Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does Anyone Have Any Photos Of Dodge Dart Race Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cudaben21, Mar 29, 2010.

1. I ran this car for many years. First with a hemi and later after the hemi was sold a 440. The Hemi is in it here and it was a Cayuga (akaTMP) about 1977 I think. So when someone says you cant race a Hemi on budget dont believe them I did. Notice the lack of shiny stuff. This was a very good race car though. All it needed was a decent driver. I am not one!
    BTW The Hemi is still alive and well after all these years and was recently bought from another racer by an old friend of mine who now has it in his shop awaiting something to put it in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. Cool, love the steel rims! what kind of E.T.s did you run with it?

3. 11.20 122 MPH which back then was quite decent. Was fastest car in pro for about a year. Above that was the quick 8 or 16 or 32 depending on the meet. i just realized this photo is from the very first pass the car ever made. It had just started to sprinkle and the track knew I needed a TT so they waved me through and said just stage and go before the rain hits. Decent folks i would say. By the time I was on the return road the sky opened up and you could hardly see. I had driven 170 miles to make that run. It was a truck drags weekend which is how i know. You can see a Semi tractor in the photo in the staging lanes.
    Don
    By the way We used to eat and stay at Stoney Creek (Gullivers Travels Motel.)

4. Craven Moorhead

Craven Moorhead
    from New Berlin

Thanks for sharing that, I have more rainy day memories at the track than anything, great car all business. I am working on a 65 440 as we speak, more to come...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  5. Dave2spd

Dave2spd

Joe Petelle's Hemi Dart

Attached Files:

6. storm king

storm king

Here's my WIP..It's a '65 with a '66 nose, stretched a foot. I made my own altered carbon fiber fenders and am doing the doors, hood, trunk also. Going for the Charlie Allen car look.

Attached Files:

7. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

All of these pictures and not a single one in the winners circle?

8. daddylama

daddylama

damn this thread. i have a weakness for '67 darts. want a gasser dart, real bad. wanted one for ages. im generally safe here on the HAMB because they dont make appearances due to being too new.......

then this post.

suddenly thoughts of a wicked 340/4spd in a plain jane '67 post with a bench seat and the nose in the air fill my head. and there happens to be one that needs a full resto a block from my house.

too many projects, too little time...

(i just left a note on it asking if its for sale)

9. Muttley

Muttley

10. Muttley

Muttley

11. Muttley

Muttley

12. Muttley

Muttley

13. Muttley

Muttley

14. Deuces

Deuces

Got a picture er 2 of Ron Mancini's '68 HEMI Dart on the Gratiot Auto Supply threat.. Look it up!

15. storm king

storm king

Well this thread has a good deal of '68 Dart''s in it, easy to do since they were so dominant in competition, but moderators could delete them all as being too new. There were in fact a few post-'66 Dart gassers, but theywere all tube framed monsters, a couple with radical chops, and generally don't fit either the spirit of the HAMB, nor really are they very "nostalgic". Better to look to a '66 or earlier Dart as a gasser, leave the stock front suspension and leaf rears, and run anything from a 273 to a 340 in it with a four speed. THAT would be period correct, IMO.

16. I see your points Storm King, but the 340 debuted in '68, so if you are looking to be hamb correct you would need a 273 screamer, or shoehorn in a big block. I personally would go with a 360, If you are not a total mopar head you can't tell the difference between a 273 and a 360 and you can make way more cheap horsepressure and torque.

17. stan292

stan292

Dart race cars? How about these?

Attached Files:

18. DustyBarnfinds

DustyBarnfinds

19. Here's a couple of pics taken at Aquasco in 1965.

Attached Files:

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Fraid not! That's a '66 body type. "65's had rounded fenders, not the scallops on the side.

21. How about a roundy-round car?

FWIW, this thing has a 50s or older Ford truck rearend in it. It ran a small dirt oval and they wanted the like 5.13 ratio in there. It also has a come-along as part of the rear suspension - dunno if that was for adjustment, or just to hold it together for the trip to the junkyard.

Attached Files:

22. storm king

storm king

ajmopar, HAMB allows for engines that cross their year "deadline" if it is basicaly the same engine. Look at the pass SBC's get. (Big surprise). Any LA Mopar small block is indestinguishable from another to most people, the same way I couldn't tell you a 283 GM engine from an LS1, whatever that is.
    Heck a 318 will get you deep in the 10's, and I don't mean a stroker, I mean a 318. They are all good, and all far better than their GM counterparts.

23. marfen

marfen
    from sask

Here's one we should have stepped up and bought back in the day. yellow with accent striping. real LO23. anyone remember this one racing back in quebec in the late 70s/early 80s?

Attached Files:

24. Agreed, LA's rock.

25. yellowdartdave

yellowdartdave
    from Jax, Fl

Original paint.... raced for several months and parked in a garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI

I was working up on the roof of my dad's house this past Sunday and I saw you cruise past, nice car, sounds great too... :cool:

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

No love for the road racing Darts???[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. yardgoat

yardgoat

Good one !!!!!! we have a winner......................YG

29. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI