Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look what I came across on patrol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chucklz, May 27, 2009.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

My guess is she doesn't really want to sell but at least she put a price on it. That's a better answer than "it's not for sale, we are going to fix it up someday." Thanks for the photo Chuck. Most of the ones I find are 4 doors.

2. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

In some counties and states, they can just make a code up and then start enforcing it. They went through Greenville County, SC in specific areas (revitalization efforts) and starting issuing violations. My grandfather had a 77 2 dr Pontiac Bonneville Brougham with 45k original miles under a tarp on blocks that he bought new. Since it was not tagged and insured, they gave him 30 days to remove it or have it towed by the county at his expense! But the guy 2 streets over had 4 junker 80's Camaro's (inoperable) in various states of disrepair, but had tags on them, so they were fine!

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ooo..20G's eh..
    im not feeling it
    I think that price tag says..."I dont wat to sell it, unless YOU really have to have it!"..

4. PoPo

PoPo

I'd answer this but I wouldnt set anyone straight. Everyone thinks they know the law anymore.

Just a quick blurp. looking into a yard does not require a warrant. No 4th Amendment violation there
    But this is not HOT ROD related so I'm going to hold back the rest unless you want to PM me.

5. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

Let me clarify. When I said I was looking for violators, I was referring to the type I could show my pinstriping and sticker collection. I hope this will stop the 6th Amendment crew from ranting.

Here are some pics I took. She is basing her price on two things; one, her brother gave her the car to pay a debt (you can guess how much of a debt) to her; two, a relative (probably her brother) told her one just like it sold in California for $70,000. The first part she told me, the second the husband let slip while she was away.

They seemed like nice folk. Her brother works in another division of my department. I told her she might get her asking price if she pieced it out but that would be a sin. She agreed. I could see her grasping the reality of the price difference. There could be hope, for a buyer that is.

Attached Files:

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Super potential there.

7. rick finch

rick finch

That's a very nice car...somebody gonna get a good one if they step up.

8. Ramblur

Ramblur

9. PoPo

PoPo

that is a beautiful car!! restored to original would still be amazing. I love that they don't even need a haircut at all!!

10. Sounds like her own brother is the dog in this story.

11. brewsir

brewsir

The old..."one just like it sold for 70K in Cali" story ...to his own sister??? And the guys a cop (did I read that right?) thats Fucked up.
    Really nice looking car but still seems a little high for this cheap bastard.

12. Wow! Nice car, all it needs is a repaint to be cherry. Those old colors kill me, especially that brown, you just never see anything like that anymore. I would get a copy of the latest Old Cars Price Guide http://oldcarspriceguide.net/ to show her for a published appraisel of its value. Here is NADA's ballpark values which really aren't very specific:

Original MSRP: $2,292
    Low Retail $8,000 Average Retail Value $12,500 High Retail $26,100

The Old Car Price Guide is a better thing to show her because its printed and published and not off the internet. It also lists the condition of #1 through #5, which really determines its value better because they describe each one. Plus they are historically lower than current market value in price in most cases. Look up what they say about the value of a '32 Ford for instance, it's waaaay low, although they have been getting higher lately! Give her a copy to look over and then say you really want the car but don't want to pay more than its really worth. Its a good way to introduce pricing reality to a seller that counters with the "my brother said it's worth $$" or "I saw one sell for $$ on Barrett-Jackson......."

I hope you can make a fair deal with her and get it. I don't think $12000-$15000 would be too much for this car.

13. Dito.. Sounds like her brother has been watching too much Barrett-Jackson and is now one of those idiots that thinks every old car on the planet is worth a kings ransom.. It's a sweet ride to be sure but 20K? come on....

14. Ramblur

Ramblur

I was thinking more like $4-5 K would be top dollar for one in this condition...
    maybe less.

15. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Dude, lighten up.

16. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Biuld it to copy the Thom Taylor drawing of the Hudson with the Hirohata/Mantranga style window frames! Reminds me of a funny story. Some dude has a tattoo on his arm that says Mercury Blues with the Hudson drawing under it

17. 55chevr

55chevr

In a lot municipalities you can only have registered vehicles out in the open. You can keep anything garaged. The is no unlawful search issue in plain sight deal. On Long Island the Hudson will get you a citation unless you register it.

18. INXS

INXS

Or, "Step Down";)

19. rusty28a

rusty28a

Nice car! Thanks for posting pics. Asking price and sale price are usually different so somebody stop me now!!!

20. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

MAN ,Some of you folks need to

Sloooooooow Downnnnnnnnnn

when you are reading theses posts....

brewsir<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3970503", true); </SCRIPT> not to single anyone out ,but DUDE either I'm reading it all wrong

OR you Sir are.............

DocWatson .....I understand your point EVEN if no one else can read it for whats its worth...DAMN...

vintagehotrods<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3970508", true); </SCRIPT> .....I agree 100 % and would buy that car for

the low to mid price that is listed....

A paint job and you could drive the snot out of it and then resale at a later date and

still make a pretty profit....................

Lighten up guys and girls ,ITS Saturday and we all should be having a great day......

Its a beautiful day out side and we all should be out playing in the garage or with something else that we enjoy ,go to it...

21. That's a buy for ten grand. Twenty as it sits, is downright delusional. Tell her that the car has the potential to bring $20K or more (with a good bit of work!) but certainly not as it is.

22. 100% Matt

100% Matt

The car is a pacemaker model. Slightly shorter than the Super Six. If the car is solid and mechanically sound I think 7k-8k is fair. 20k is a little off the wall

23. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

It was not the cop brother but the other one. We all have someone in our family like that. But he never said it was "that" brother only a family member. I told her it should easily bring between $5-8k. I will gladly give anyone her contact information. She asked that I don't post it on the forum.

I am not brokering any deals, just passing information on a car I found. I love cars just like everyone on this forum. If I could I would buy everyone I found. If I can't at least I can point it out to someone who can. I have had some great carma. I only hope I can keep it flowing around.

For Doc's piece of mind I would agree that anyone who'd do that would be lower than the mangiest mongrel scratching fleas. I have never run a game for any of the cars I have rescued out of backyards, dilapidated garages, vacant lots, under porches, etc.

24. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

I am posting a quick update. I have driven past the car several times over the past year. Her brother, the now retired cop, saw me at a coffee spot then stopped to say it is still for sale. Finally, she has realized it is only worth about a third of her asking price. I wish I could afford to buy it. If anyone is interested PM me for her contact info. Yet again, I am not brokering any deals. I am only passing it along.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, I think a lot of people are throwing stiff prices on cars now days rather than flat out saying that it isn't for sale. Less hassle and there always may be that one guy with 20 K burning a big hole in his pocket with a big want for that model of car.

26. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

No, she wants to sell it! She realized it's only worth about $5-7k and will take that.

27. It only took her 2 years to face reality. Two more years of the car sitting there deteriorating!!

28. I am not interested but thanks for posting the update, maybe someone here will snap it up and put her back on the road. Lothiandon has a good point though, wonder how much she has deteriorated over the last two years (the car, not the seller).

29. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Unfortunately, over the past two years the economy has deteriorated as well. $5k might be a fair price, but nobody's got that scratch laying around anymore :(

30. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

write the beeotch a bunch of tickets for every little violation on the books. that'll soften her up...