Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found this tire machine on ebay.. anyone used one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950coronet600hp, Apr 10, 2011.

1. saw the post on someone buying an old manual tire machine. So I went looking for one of my own, found someone on ebay selling a new made in china machine for $100. Has anyone used one of these?
    [​IMG]

2. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

That looks like a small trailer tire on it...

3. thesupersized

thesupersized

the bead breaker works alright, but once the bead is broken i'd rather just use a couple tire irons.

4. yea i have one of thoes
    i use it with the motorcycle attachment

its cheeper at Harbor Freight

5. i use a Coats 40/40 for most tires

6. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

That looks like a harbor freight one. I have one and I modified it so that the bead breaker is on top because it was easier to me to work that way. If i was at home I could take a picture of what I did. After I converted it to the top it worked ok and used it for years until my wife got me a coats 40/40.

7. yeah i can use spoons too, its more the bead breaker i was wondering about... thanks for the input

8. I've got one similar to that in my back yard, used to use it for changing big off road tires. If you're in the phoenix area mine may be for sale cheap.

9. budd

budd

i have the same one, the bead breaker bent the first time i used it, i fixed that with a piece of plate, it is a pain haveing the bead breaker on the floor, i want to copy the coats manual breaker, i also want to make a better cone that will fit the center of the wheels, the pin that keeps the wheel from rotating is pretty lame, the bar could use a little help but i use it now and it works, it has paid for itself many times over, i have changed thousands of tires on an old coats manual changer in my youth and would buy one for $200 if it was all there and give my china one away.

10. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Ive got one like that from harbor freight. Ive only used it to break beads, but it works well for that.

11. My bead breaker also bent, and I fixed mine with a plate too. It works pretty good, even on ultra stiff and heavy Firestone cheater slicks. I find if you heat the tires first, it helps a bit(either in the sun or fresh off the just driven car). I still dream of a real tire changer and balancer.

12. budd

budd

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm like the other guys, I'd much rather have an old manual machine if I could find one. I walked by one at a swap meet last year that was missing a part but the price was right and it was gone when I went back.
    I've probably changed a thousand tires on one of those and they require some effort but you can get the job done. The HF ones or the one you showed will work ok for light weight stuff though.

Check the one in this thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578490 They can be found and for the same or not much more than the light weight ones from HF or the online stores or Ebay. Make sure you get the tools with one if you find it though. It's just like the one I walked past for 40.00 last year and didn't buy like an idiot.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  14. well in the true hot rodder spirit, i started looking arround at the old school manual machines, and some new ones, and i decided, really all I need is something to break the bead, Have tried a few things in the past, but after some searching i found a bead breaker, and tomorrow am going out to the yard, grab some steel, and make my own. here is the idea I am going to copy.[​IMG] should be able to do it for the cost of a few welding rods. and the new (to us) 4x4 truck came with some unusable axles that will be perfect for a handle for this thing. wish me luck folks

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are going to have to eat your wheaties to be ready to tackle a tire with that one and you may have to call in Bubba to apply that 400 lb body to the handle. It will get the job done though but you just sweat more.

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hmmm, made in China, whats the warranty, 30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first? No thanks.

17. yeah, but with as many tires as i am needing to change on my 6 vehicles, it gets a bit taxing spending money when i don't necessarily have to.. I know I'm cheap lol.... but this 200lb bubba will do it, just need to make the handle twice as long lol

18. budd

budd

now if you made the upright out of a piece of pipe the same size as a manual changer, you would be one step closer to a complete changer, the heart of a manual changer is the bar and coats sells just the bar.

http://www.mile-x.com/coats-107156-combo-tool.aspx

19. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I used one last weekrn to tear don 20+ wheel & tires.
    I did bend the tube for the bead braker but, I still worked fine.
    And then I used bars to tear the tire off.
    FWIW I'm 330 Lbs, I bend alot of stuff.

Jeff

20. brad chevy

brad chevy

Harbor-Freight sells them here for $59. Just be careful with the liteweight machine.It will get the job done..If you have that many tires to deal with find you a better quality machine.

21. flynstone

flynstone

yup bead breaker works , bent the cheap ass bar like first time out ,,but have used it about 50 times , good to hold in place while you spoon it,,

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've got one just like it and I've mounted maybe 50 bias ply tires on it and I have never had a problem with it.. Paid $25 for it way back when..........

23. Sorry 1950, im finally getting around to uploading pictures for you. This looks just like the HF tire changers, but its red instead of orange.

Sorry again, it won't upload my pictures today....i'll try again in a few min.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  24. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats better, its really sun fadded from sitting in my back yard for years, but still works just as its supposed to.

25. Ricci32

Ricci32

used one of those hand breakers for years works great,

26. xmb63

xmb63
    from pittsburgh

My dads had one of those for about 8 years. It works well, it takes a bit of muscle but I bet we've changed over 50 tires on it.

27. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

I have one like that also from Harbor Freight. Also bent the bead breaker. Repaired it with heavier steel. I would like to see some pictures of bead breakers mounted up on top as the bending over is hard on a old guys back. Other than that it works fine.

28. I posted on craigslist looking for one, and I was able to buy a heavy-duty Coats 20-20 that was at a wrecking yard, for $200. Check on CL, if you don't see one, post that you're looking for one

29. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Since we're talking about other kinds of tire machines, I have an old Coats that uses air to break the beads...bottom first, then roll the top breaker over and break the top bead. Then manually use the bar to remove the tire.

Reason I bring this up is I've seen old ones like mine in the 50-75 dollar range, only thing that can go bad is the foot pedal or the air cylinder, both easily and cheaply re-buildable.

30. Sport Coupe 62

Sport Coupe 62

I have 1 of them the only thing I would do is make the legs longer and probably weld them solid.. We have used it many times and that has been the only problem with it