Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Front Axle/ Wheel Combo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goleafsgo_12, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I'd like some opinions on wheel/ tire combinations on a full fendered 31 Model A Roadster. I don't want to tub the rear end, and as described in a previous thread it will have a Ford 9". What kind of rear end width (flange to flange) would work best, as well as what front I-beam width is most suited for these cars? Wheels/ tires have yet to be selected as I don't know what dimensions I should be after. All opinions welcome, thanks.

Ryan

2. Fenders

Fenders

subscribed !

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Not a roadster but bottom half the same.. 4" drop 46" wide front axle with 5.60x15" tires.. Rear is 2 wheel drive S10 with 1" spacers for 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern.. Tires are 7.10x15".. Hope this helps.........

Attached Files:

• 084.jpg
      084.jpg
      File size:
      533.4 KB
      Views:
    • 083.jpg
      083.jpg
      File size:
      525.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Jason Vohland

Jason Vohland
    from Reno, NV

I,m using a 85 chevy pick up 5-lug rear end under my 31 fordor. havent got to the front end yet.

5. gardon

gardon
    from kansas

8" Ford works well

6. Thanks for the replies. Does anybody else have any measurements from their own vehicles, possibly overall axle widths and corresponding tire/wheel/offset sizes? Like I was saying before, I am keeping the 9" and will cut it down to fit (with whatever axles I need to use, be it 8" axles, shortened 9" axles, or aftermarket)

Thanks

7. Thanks for the replies. Does anybody else have any measurements from their own vehicles, possibly overall axle widths and corresponding tire/wheel/offset sizes? Like I was saying before, I am keeping the 9" and will cut it down to fit (with whatever axles I need to use, be it 8" axles, shortened 9" axles, or aftermarket)

Thanks

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Set the rear wheels and tires under the fenders where you want them and run a tape through the center of the wheel to the other side and read the tape at the back of both wheels and you should get the measurement you need.......

9. Excellent tip for the rear. In this case however, my car is still in pieces and while assembling the body I would like to start the hunt for rims and tires, that's why I'm after what people are already using for axle widths and offsets for the front AND rear. Because it's full fendered, there isn't a lot of room to play with when you want to get some good rubber under there without contacting any sheet metal.

10. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

I agree with Scrapy....I purchased a set of 8 x 15 wheels with a (4-1/2" back set), used stock 5 x 15 (3-1/4" back set) for the front. I mounted 2.35 x 15 on the rear and 1.45 x 15 on the front. Placed the tires under the fenders exactly where I wanted and masured the distance between the mounting surfaces of the wheels. Then I shopped for a 9" rear end at a local salvage yard ( I used a Ford pick-up) with that exact width or you can spend more and get a custom one made. I used a 46" wide Super Bell tube axle.

Attached Files:

11. Would you say that 5x15 and 8x15 is a good place to start when shopping for rim/tire widths? Is that the "most common" setup people use for stock fendered vehciles? I have some good opportunities to get new rubber at great rates, so I'd like to size it up as best as I can and take advantage if possible.

12. Anybody? Echoo... echhoooo