Register now to get rid of these ads!

I found something living in the carb!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aman, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

A few months ago I bought a carb off the HAMB, got a good price, carb was complete. When I started to take it apart and kit it,I found somebody living in it.:eek: I know, I know I'm crazy right. Check out what I pulled from deep in the throat. It's somekinda moth or other flying insect. Funny thing is, the guy that sold it to me posted in the ad "ran fine when on car". First of all, I never fall for that line and second, I always expect to spend time and money getting used stuff in running condition. I always find spiders in cars but, this is a first for me.

Have you found anything unusual in parts, etc.? Lets hear your story.

Attached Files:

2. Muttley

Muttley

I probably would have puked, if theres one thing I cant stand its bugs.

3. It's just a bug Muttley, Dang;)

4. not found in parts...but we had a customer bring in a car one day,said it lost power and is using heaps more fuel..

ok so we check the basics..out comes the air cleaner and what do you find??
    i big ol rat dead and wrapped right around the air cleaner, its hair etc had block it up..probably only flowing air through about 10% of the filter..

a $20 fix up saved alot in fuel

5. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

Thats funny shit! I found a bees nest in my oil bath air cleaner, and my motor was full of acorns because the radiator was out of it....F**kin squirrels!

6. rixrex

rixrex

investigating why Triumph MC was running poorly and found living, crawling worms in the gas line..I swear!...new life forms?

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

You and me both!

We found this little guy who made a home in the cylinder head of a friends jap bike, I think he stored food for winter, ate it all, got fat, and couldn't get back out.

Attached Files:

8. big bad john

big bad john

.....Help a friend move a Henry J once from a old farm house last year..must have been over a 100 mice in the car.....they were everywhere..coming out of the tailpipe,carb,seats....

9. Bought my 63 Tempest from out west. Had a scorpion onside...

10. guiseart

guiseart

It probably DID run fine on the car... in 1972.

11. What did you expect when you run a bug catcher scoop.... pizza?

12. Gigantor

Gigantor

I had a Honda that had sat for years behind my parents house. A little fresh gas and a new battery and the car started right up but then died. It did this a few times. Being young and impatient, the next time I got it started I stomped on the gas and held the pedal down. The engine roared in a muffled sort of way and the tone got higher and higher and the car started to shudder. Just before I panicked and turned the key off there was this big "Whoomp!" like a potato cannon from out of the muffler. There was dust, leaves in the air and gooey fur, acorns, blood and tiny bones against the garage wall.
    I felt kind of bad for that mouse or mice but dang if the car didn't run just fine after that.

Another... My mother had bought herself a used Volvo for cheap one summer. We were riding around in the heat but even with the air conditioning cranked all the way up it was barely pushing cool air or any air for that matter.
    While she was driving I started fiddling with the climate controls and hit a button that switched from circulated air to outside air. You could hear the little servos whine and all of a sudden "Poof!" ice cold air and a shit ton of tiny feathers come blasting out of all of the vents. It looked like we were in a snow globe. My mother had to pull over because she couldn't see from the feathers and also since she was crying from laughing so hard. It took forever to get all those feathers cleaned out and we never did find the rest of the bird carcass... I imagine it is still up there somewhere with whoever has the car now.
    Years later when you'd crank the air a stray feather would still come wafting out.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hahaha...

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I bought a distributor on ebay that came from CA over this past winter. When I opened the box and popped the cap off, a dozen little stink bugs fell out and scattered across my dining room table, crawling in all different directions... UGH.

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

checking out a air filter on a later jeepwagon,found the air box full of dog food

16. Zerk

Zerk

Maybe Gypsy Moth? Real tree killers when caterpillars, but by the moth stage the damage is all over and done.

Working the bugs out of a carburetor isn't supposed to be so literal. What kind of fly-by-night operation sells carbs with moths? ;)

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

Did it say in the ad,.. you just have to work the BUGS OUT ! ?,....:eek: :D:D:D:D

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When my next door neighbors back yard was a jungle I was blowing nice out the tailpipes of any car I let sit for a long time,they even got in the exhaust in a car that was in my attached garage.

19. greaseguns

greaseguns

looks like something from a GODZILLA movie MOTHRA

20. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Growing up on a farm it was very common to find corn in my air cleaners. I have a 4x4 polaris ATV, the air box on that thing is designed with a small inlet about 1/2"x3" and goes about 4" at various angles before it widens out into the filter housing. I don't know how they do it, but every spring I have to take out a hand full of corn.

I remember when one time my mothers car was throwing off quite a smell. We figured it was just some road kill slung up into the undercarriage... Dad popped the hood to investigate and what happened was a mouse chewed a hole through the overflow cap, then fell into the antifreeze and drown.

When I was a kid I can remember my cat dieing. It use to crawl into the engine bay and perch in the fan shroud. No need to tell you what happened when mom went to the store that day....

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

How about a 1955 Chevy,... Cheap !,... but you had to remove a Wasp Nest ????:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  22. big creep

big creep

holy crap!!! thats one big ass nest!:eek:

23. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

that car could burn as far as i'm concerned.

24. I wonder how that got dealt with ?

25. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Every spring when I fire up the Harley it blow acorns out for a bit. Same thing with the Ranchero. Dont seem to get it from the 57 though.

26. awesome582

awesome582
    from Iowa

I had the same problem with a hornets nest, scared the life out of me when I first popped the hood.

27. awesome582

awesome582
    from Iowa

I also had a small block chevy with an edelbrock air gap intake. Every fall I'd have to vacuum the acorns out of the "air gap".

28. Giovanni

Giovanni

not on a car, but at my last apartment i found a single mouse. Chased it all around the house but never caught it. My girl swore i was crazy(er). About a year later we moved, and when i swapped the plug on our clothes dryer to a 4 prong, i found him latched onto two terminals, hair sticking straight out.

29. Gigantor

Gigantor

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt...

... how bad you want it?

30. Ralph

Ralph

I took my 64 Chevy pickup out on the highway on one of the first really warm days in the spring. Cruising along in the heat, 60 mph, arm out the window... beautiful day. Then I remembered I hadn't opened the big air vents in the footwell. Reached down, yanked on the handle, and suddenly I'm covered in mouse nest, swirling around inside the truck and out the window. In my mouth, in my eyes, dust and fuzzy crap everywhere! Looked like a box of Kleenex exploded in the cab!
    Ralph