Register now to get rid of these ads!

which headers for a Ford in Ford with steering clearance problem?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarletfever, Apr 8, 2011.

1. scarletfever

scarletfever
    from texas

got a major steering clearance problem with a 302 in a 34 ford coupe. the stock headers it came with (95 mustang with FI) just make the steering a nightmare to fit.

if someone can help, it would be appreciated.

2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

3. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I'm running Sanderson FF-5 on my roadster. Very compact. Good item.

5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might try "Block Huggers".

6. scarletfever

scarletfever
    from texas

Thanks guys... feels better already

7. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Sanderson is the best! The center dump block huggers are what your gonna need.

8. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Back in the 80's I put smallblock Fords in 33/34 Fords by using stock Torino w/351 Windsor exhaust manifolds,not sure of the part#,I use Snow-White Ltd. Shorty Waterpump and Do not cut the Firewall and the Torino Manifolds hug the block and dump in the rear, right now I'm running a 92 302 in my 33 and used the stock 92 mustang headers but on the steering side I had to cut it up and rearrange it to clear,but it works fine,if you can weld, it might save you some cash

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  9. Weasel

Weasel

My experience with Sandersons blockhuggers was the worst - when bolted up really tight to the head, the header flanges were over 1/4" from the head surface and the collector flanges were hitting the block and gouging paint from the engine block. This was after I had pre paid and waited four months for a first set which mysteriously got 'lost' at the coaters and they conveniently forgot to tell me or return my telephone calls inquiring about them. The set that finally arrived had completely the wrong curvature and were never going to fit anything. Their customer service sucks and it took me months to get my money back. I have seen numerous other complaints about Sandersons - both the product and the customer service here on the HAMB - you might want to think twice before you consider Sandersons as an option and look at other people' experience with them....

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I moderate the '52-'56 Ford Car social group here on the HAMB,when doing a 302/5.0 swap in these Fords steering box clearance has always been an issue.We have found that Hedman has two headers that clear the steering boxes with zero alterations needed.The 52-53's that require a center dump are part# 88420 '54-59's with a rear dump are part# 88400 check out the pictures,one may work for you.First picture is the 88420,2nd & 3rd Picture is the 88400,another alternative is the Shelby Hi-Po manifolds in the bottom of pic#4,Pic #5 shows the Shelby manifolds in a '54 Ford the Hedman 88400 gives about the same clearance in these cars.

Attached Files:

11. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.