Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. WCD

WCD

.Do you know what year of the Hot Rod Yearbook? Thanks a ton! Eric[/QUOTE]

Yes, the 1967 edition. Some early editions of Popular Hot Rod also featured the car, albeit as a photo center spread with no written commentary offered, just a shot of it leavig the line smoking. I also recall Isky magazine ads (I think) boasting of the cars performance because of it being Isky equipped. But as I recall from the HRM article, the roadster ran a Potvin cam.

2. Are we talking about the Aggitation "Roadster" here?
    We used to race that car with the one in my avatar.The only name I can put together for the orange car is Pat Johnson.
    Thanks,
    Troy Cagle

3. Ebert

Ebert

Thanks, WCD and FuelRoadster. I don't know Pat Johnson. Car was reddish/orange. Sorry about my scanner...it sucks. Here are the pages from the January 1967 Car Craft. Thanks! E

Attached Files:

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Just a quick note for what it might be worth -

All the previous pictures of Gas Ronda...
    The former, Russ Davis Ford dealership is still standing in Covina.
    It's changed hands many times over the years. Its last incarnation..was a Chevy dealership (Clippinger Chevrolet).

Both the "original" Clippinger Chevrolet and Russ Davis Ford were/are right across the street from each other.
    Both currently empty hulks of great former dealerships.

Mike

5. Falconred

Falconred

I just got this off the FE forum. Sol Stewart posted:

Paul Vanderley, a long time well known Gulf Coast racer and machine operator
    passed away last night around midnight from cancer. Over his racing career,
    Paul raced a number of vehicles, including a 1964 Comet lite weight 427 that Randy Deliso has recently bought and restored and a Maverick. Our prayers to
    his wife Kay and his son Dan and the rest of his family...

SOL

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

another hulk sitting empty today is Sach and Sons Mercury dealership in Downey, owned by Helen Sachs in the 1960's....

[​IMG]

She and Jack Chrisman made their mark in 1965 with their Comet

[​IMG]

7. I'll do some checking ebert,,I know that a guy named Pat Johnson drove that car at one time and I'll have to look for it in my stash.
    And,,(Im not busting any balls here),,but the Agitation & Larry Dixons Fireside Inn "roadsters" were part of what put and end to CJ Harts Competiton Eliminator class at Lions.
    Both cars were essentially Top Fuel Dragsters with a roadster shell on the back,& CJ basically said 'we cant have that'.
    My dad had quit running his car about that time & didn't want to go T/F racing.
    In fact,Dixon entered his Fireside Inn car in Top Fuel at one of the PDA Meets at OCIR in 67 or 68.
    I remember seeing the Agitation at Lions a couple different times & I thought it was bitchen(9yrs old),but we always got beat by it!
    Heres my dads car,,pretty much a Roadster style deal.
    I'll look around for more info for ya,
    Troy

Attached Files:

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Troy, here's one of my first shots...1962....your Dad was fearless...in a good way!

[​IMG]

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Troy...your dad was a police officer at the City of Vernon? Right? My dad was a policeman in Arcadia at the same time. They knew each other, If I'm remembering correctly...late 50's, early 60's....

10. Ebert

Ebert

Troy, thanks for the information and pictures of your Dad's car. It would appear that your Dad's car was more in the spirit of the rules back then as I always thought of Uncle Jack's car as more of a Top Fueler. Great stuff from Mazooma as usual, too! Please let me know if you find anymore information and apologies to all on here for the rant. Thanks, Troy! Ebert

11. Yeah my dad was a Vernon cop that participated in the Watts riots,,lets not go there!

Attached Files:

12. WCD

WCD

I lived in Azusa at the time of Ronda's hey dey and would peddle my stingray past Russ Davis while enroute to the main drag in West Covina where there were things to do, like hobby shops, a park, etc.. On a few occassions the flopper would be out front, body lifted exposing the high end scale components that made it up. Sometimes in my company were two brothers whose dad was partners with the Psycho Mustang funnycar. I recall when they sold the first Psycho and replaced it with Ronda's 66 Mustang and repainted it yellow.

13. WCD

WCD

I cant read the print, but the roll bar reminds me of a Garlits chassis, sort of like the one Boyd Pennigton ran in 1963.

14. BloFish

BloFish

Very cool!

15. Ebert

Ebert

WCD, You have a keen eye!!! It WAS a Garlits chassis! E

16. 60man

60man

Cool...is that the Chevy "Swiss Cheese version "....:D

17. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

I wish, it's the moldy old okie cheese version. I been thinking about entering a hopping contest? more shameless self preservation, uhh promotion!

18. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

cool shot of the ol' man, troy!

i always liked your dad.

thanks for sharing.

[​IMG]

19. Willys gasser

Willys gasser
    from PA.

High, new guy here, I'm tring to learn how to do this. love all the pic's shown and have a request if possible? ROD & Custom sept. 1997 cover shot and photos starting on page 26 by Michael Breeding and Scott Killeen of Stripteasers 1941 Willys owned by Ray Seider of Carpinteria, Calf. Mostly want color pic's of car and is it still around??? Any help please. Yes I'm a gasser nut. If you see this car you'll see why.
    Thank you to all the Willys gasser photos posted by all and keep them coming. aka Willys gasser

20. ags41dave

ags41dave
    from midwest

willys gasser;I know the car well,its parked next to mine right now.It was built by Ron Sandifer in La.we are goimg to look at a car lift tonight I can hook you up if you like ,the power of the H.A.M.B.,Dave

21. Willys gasser

Willys gasser
    from PA.

ags41dave that is grate, I don't no how this works but I'll keep tring. Just found how to ad a pic under my name. So Dave let me no what to do when its time. Can clear pics be listed or e-mailed to me. Buzz

THANK YOU DAVE AND MARK, I WILL BE WAITING FOR THE PICTURES IT IS MY #1 WILLYS GASSER COLLOR, STANCE, JUST EVERYTHING.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  22. JBell

JBell
    from California

WOW, I don't recall seeing a Top Fuel driver, as late as '69, wearing a Bubble Visor ! Who was this guy?

23. A couple things about the picture,,the iron bars that appear to be taped & muffler clamped to the axle,(hey it worked),the vent hose from blower to valve cover,and my guess is this is a burnout(look at the track).I remember some guys used those bubble sheilds on the burnout to keep from getting their masks sprayed by whatever traction stuff they were pouring down.
    Kinda like a tear-off,,,

24. ags41dave

ags41dave
    from midwest

Buzz;I'll have the car owner take care of your requests I told him of your post and am sure he will fix you up,Dave

25. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Here`s a few pictures of E.J. Potter in the late `60s. These were taken at Farmington Dragstrip. This is located near Winston Salem, NC

Attached Files:

26. benji2714

benji2714

Buzz I own the 40 Willys that your talking about. I traded Ray Sieder for it back in early 98. Made some changes. Its called Stripteaser, just like on Rod & Custome magazine. A couple years after I got it. Revell Model's came out and took 300+ pictures of it and made the Big John Mazmainian model from the car because it had everything the same as the real Mazmainian car back in the 60's. Big John who was alive then sighned the dash and a letter from Revell. I have pictures on my office computer I will send you them soon. Great car. Thanks for the interest. Mark

27. WCD

WCD

Fuel Roadster is correct; In the late 60's early 70's when FED were still in vogue, quite a few guys added the ritual of having a face shield affixed to their helmit so the goggles would remain debris free.

28. Those EJ Potter pics are priceless.I have some B&W pics of his bike from 62 or 63.
    I think my mom took them back when my dad was racing.
    Im in process of going thru stuff of my own to post up.

Im thinking about making t-shirts that say Drag Cars In Motion on 'em.
    Nothing more,nothing less!

29. pontman

pontman

I don't now who but this picture is from old Mission Raceway in BC Canada?

30. pontman

pontman

JBell view post no. 26060. I will ask my Canadian friends to help ID this guy.