Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Do You Keep Water In A Radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gands, Apr 5, 2011.

1. davis574ord

davis574ord

I would start by checkin the thermostat, then if that aint the problem, check the heads and gaskets!

2. Impalaguy1958

Impalaguy1958
    from Paducah Ky

Look on the front of the head between the block and head. There should be a square tab on the gasket visible on both sides, if not the gasket is on backward and will do what exactly what your describing

3. gands

gands
    from arkansas

Thank you to all, excellent advice from most everyone. I am going to check the lower hose colapse thing first. I'm lazy and that sounds easy. I have located a set of world jr. heads so if I open it up I will hopefully be replacing with bigger valves and runners. at that point I will for sure go with the new aluminum radiator. I just hate to jump ship without first figuring out and fixing the problem. Those things seem to come back and haunt you later. The experience on this forum is priceless. YOU GUYS ROCK! thank you for letting me be a part of.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I rebuild Ford engines and building a 289 right now . Great engine but check the oil stick for droplets of water on the stick . Also check the spark plugs to see if one or two are super clean and the rest aren't .
    But the best thing to do is do a pressure test .
    If you have to replace the head gaskets , buy Fel Pro ONLY ! You can get others cheaper but take it from someone that builds engines , Fel Pro are the best !

Retro Jim

5. Master of None

Master of None

Nobody's asked whats the temp rating of the thermostat? if its 195, 200 isn't that far out of line.

6. S.O.B.

S.O.B.

Bypass hose not on or pluged. It well pump more water then radiator well flow. Good luck

7. gands

gands
    from arkansas

Quick update PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! Tore the heads off updated with windsor jr's, full roller rockers, Champion 3 core aluminum radiator. My old faithfull flex fan had to be ditched for an electric pusher. $1000 later problem solved. Original radiator was stoped up but there's nothing like a good excuse for building more power...