Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Chevy lower A arm removal help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Chris, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

I am getting ready to bag the front end of my 53, and today I was going to take off my Lower A arms, but could not get them to budge!!! We tried impact guns, and breaker bars but no luck... We got the lock nut removed no problem, but cant get the whole shaft that runs through the arm and upright to move for shit. Is there a certain way to remove this or should it just come right out? We were going to try and heat it up a bit but ran out of acetylene for the torch and wont get a refill till Friday. help please.

2. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

You are going about it right, I just did mine this winter. My guess is they are rusted to the A arms, just use some good penatrent and keep working on them, try turning your impact down and just hammer on them, the vibration from the hits is what will do the most good. I got lucky I guess mine came right out.

3. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Ok cool thanks. Just wanted to be sure i wasnt doing anything wrong. I guess we are going to have to wait till friday till we get the torch working again...

4. mama_tried

mama_tried

Take a torch to it, heating it up might help ya out.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YOu do have all four bolts out of each one?? I've seen some so covered up with dirt and grease that you couldn't see the inside bolts on the shaft.

6. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

I just did mine last weekend. Make sure you have the pressure of the spring taken off the lower a arm. You don't want anthing extra putting pressure on that already tough bolt. I just jacked mine up from under the upright until car started to raise. Then jam a few blocks under it. Once you break the upright free, jack up under the upright mount to get it off the blocks, remove blocks and slowly lower until the spring is free.

And use lots of heat.