Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Lost one of the original hot rodders, my grandpa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I know that some of you will view this as off topic, but really at this point, I don't care.

Clarence Edward LeGrange 1911-2011

He was born in 1911 to a poor family in Oklahoma City. Of course, most every one was poor, they just didn't know it. He spent many years working along side his older brothers. He built his first car out of a cast off Chevrolet truck frame and a model A body, that his older brothers had scrapped.

He ran a produce company later in his life, delivering eggs to all of the metro Oklahoma area. He bought the first company truck, a 1936 Ford pickup. He logged over a million miles on this truck before he retired it. He had gone through 12 flatheads, countless rear ends and who knows how many transmissions. Then he gave the pickup to my dad in 1959. My dad drove it to college for a few years, then put it on the strip for most of the 60's through the mid 70's. My dad has it back on the street now in it's chopped configuration.

He had one lone drag racing trophy that still resides over the mantel at his home. My dad was in the finals at Green Valley Raceway and he got called back for military duty. My dad was supposed to line up against his best friend Steve Martin in a 55 Chevy for the C/Gas Championship. My Grandpa stepped in for dad and ended up winning the Championship. My dad let him keep the trophy.

He worked for years as a round engine mechanic at Tinker field. He traveled over a lot of Europe with the aircraft division and when he was asked recently about his mission in Europe, he told us that it was "Top Secret" and that he had never been told that he could talk about it, so he didn't. He took it to his grave. I wonder how many of us could keep a secret that long?

Why am I telling you all this?

I don't know really, I just consider you guys family.

He's behind the wheel of this old model T in the picture. He drove this T all the way down to Fall Creek Church Camp in Davis Oklahoma with all of these kids on board. They had to back up the mountains to get a low enough gear.

I am afraid that they don't make people like they used to, although I look at my 18 year old son and he acts, walks and talks like him. Maybe there is hope for the next generation?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Sorry for your loss my friend.

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Chris, I am so sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing. I remember the photo above from something you posted a while back, and thought it was so cool that you had four generations together, all digging old cars!

God bless you and your family as you deal with your loss, knowing that there's a happy reunion waiting someday.

4. S.F.

S.F.

R.I.P. Post a few picturs of the 36...

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Root, thanks for telling us about your Grandpa. I know it sounds kinda corny but they don't make 'em like they used to. Your grandpa was part of what made this nation great and we all owe them a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid. From the picture I'm assuming that's him in front. My condolences for your loss but he will never be far from you if you keep his memory alive.

Frank

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Frank, yeah that was him at our last Thanksgiving dinner. That was 4 generations of LeGrange men. He drove home that evening. He lived by himself up until the last 2 months or so. Dad and his sisters would take turns staying with him.

I had to chuckle though at him, the other day he decided he was ready to die and was sort of upset at being ill, so he just closed his eyes and says "That's it, I'm done living".
    About an hour later, he says " Can I get a sandwich, since I didn't die?"

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  8. Tony

Tony

Root, very sorry for your loss.
    My deepest condolences to you and your family.
    And you are 100+% right, his generation had qualities and morals that will be sorely missed as the decades pass by.

R.I.P.

Tony

9. shadams

shadams

Cool as hell dude, my gramps on my dad's side passed a few years back, but on my moms he's still kickin. Great picture, and youre right, we wont see people like that after that generation is gone. Good ones, sure, but not GREAT ones....

10. jerry

jerry

Such sad news Root. Deepest condolences.

Love the story about the sandwich!

jerry

11. 61falcon

61falcon

sorry for your loss. i agree with your statement. "I am afraid that they don't make people like they used to". guys from era define what a man should be.

12. gands

gands
    from arkansas

Sorry to here about your Grandpa, I did alot of growing up around the stockyards and produce barns of OKC

13. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Root,
    Sorry for your loss. Those memories you have of grand dad will live with you forever and that is a blessing.

14. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I remember the four generation pic from a while back. I thought it was so cool. Please accept my condolences. I'll say a prayer for you and your family.

15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Sorry for your loss. I can only hope to live to see 100!

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sorry to hear of your loss Root... Thank you for telling us about him, and I know it has been said, but they don't make those guys anymore. He reminds me a bit of my grandpa, and this just stopped me long enough to think that he would have been 104 this month. He too grew up not knowing he was poor, and worked his tail off so he never had to remember that he was! There isn't a day that goes past when don't I think about my grandpa - I'm sure you'll feel the same. Condolences, Chip Quinn

17. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Root, your Grandpa was quite an incredible man who lived a great life.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

My sincere condolences, may he rest in peace.

Bart

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

Gotta love it!!

Sorry Root.... I feel your pain brutha!

19. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

100 years, what a run! Prayers for you Roothawg.

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Reading your thread, I don't feel a sadness...more a celabration of life.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

My deepest sympathies Root. Sounds like he lived a life full of adventure and interesting work. That's something we don't see very much of anymore.

100 years. WOW! I couldn't imagine to be so lucky.

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

God bless him....100 years . My condolences Roothawg to you and your family.

23. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

R.I.P.,,,,sorry for your loss

24. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris,

I am lifting prayers up for you and your family brother. Your Grandpa sounds like he was quite a character and a good man. I know the pain your feeling - it's tough when you lose important, foundational family members like it sounds your grandpa was.

Like Larry said, it sounds like your family has a lot to celebrate. He IS in a better place and you will get to see him again when you are called home. Remember and enjoy the good times and the good memories! My heart is heavy for you brother, and yet I feel joy knowing that your grandpa is in a better place.

I know you have a lot of support, but if you want talk give me a call.

Steve

25. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

All the best Chris. Keep carrying (sic) the torch.

26. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

what a great trubuite to your grand daddy. A well loved man for sure. God bless

27. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sorry to hear and condolences. Thanks for taking the time to share. Love the story and the photos. His body might be at rest, but sounds like his spirit has a lot of strength.

28. Awesome life and now wonderful memories for eternal life!

29. I do not know what to say Root, the picture of all those generations is impressive. Glad ya'all had that much time together!

30. Yes, they do. It is called the HAMB world! I see folks here keeping the flame alive for our grandfathers!