Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for dash ideas..bring 'em on

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chewie, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Chewie

Chewie

Since my 48 dash is pretty much bare, I'm thinking I might as well do something different. I'm looking for ideas from the broad base here on the HAMB. I would like to use S/W "wings" or whatever you call those guages. Here's a few pics of what the dash looks like now. I want to keep it as period correct as possible.

In the last pic you see the seat, can anyone ID where I can find another one like it? If I don't find one or they are too damn expensive, this will be going to a HAMBer (hopefully for parts):cool:

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Make a custom guage pod. Lay out any guages however you want. You can make it out of any material you desire...polished stainless, engine-turned aluminum, someone even made one out of lexan and added a map of their home state behind it. That was especially cool and there was a tech thread on it. My personaly feeling is that there is no dash that looks better then a 53-56 Olds dash, put one of those in there, or just the pods, and you'll be big pimpin'.

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

51 Ford dash and call it a day

4. 2-TONED

2-TONED

OH-RIDGE-IN-OALLLL

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    you can sneak round (aftermarket gauges) behind the dash showing through the original little gaugeholes & read thm good.

[​IMG]

5. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I put a 56 Olds dash in my 50. It was a lot of work but worth the effort.I had no gauges to start with, and really wanted a different look that the stock dash. My second choice would have been a 55 Pontiac. Use your imagination, all it takes is a cutting device and a welder!

6. JonP

JonP
    from Oxford CT

I'm putting a 60 chevy dash in my 51 gmc

Jon

7. Chewie

Chewie

Thanks guys. Basically I want to got a good idea of what I want before I start cutting and welding. Keep em comin

8. I put a '59-'60 Chevy dash in my '49 Fleetline. It was pretty simple. I basicly cut it in half (after alot of measuring) then, cut, I think mine was 3" out of the center. I put in the driver side first to line up the center Speedo pod with the column. Mine is about a 1/4" to the inside cause I wanted to save the rounded edges of the dash. It's not too noticeable.
    [​IMG]
    Then I put in the other side. I cut mine right down the middle because I wanted to do away with the original radio and ash tray locations.
    [​IMG]
    Also fabricated sides from sheet metal. I wanted to smooth it up, so I welded everthing up. Then some body filler to smooth it up. Then after several coats of primer and sanding...... Paint.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    It was a tight fit, and it was my first time. I think it turned out decent.

9. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

i incoprorated a 1964 t-bird intrument cluster into my merc...it sweeps right into the console...

10. Thats sweet....... Is that the one where the whole steering column swings over?

11. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

no, I think its a 64ish gm tilt column

12. rodrelic

rodrelic

My guess on the seat is a foreign sports car, MG, Triumph. Only reason is i've seen a couple of thise cars before and remember the seats were really thin. Oh yeah, also if it wasn't a 2 seater it would have to fold.

13. Kurt

Kurt

Here is my super top secret dash i worked on this winter for my 48. Never saw another laid out like this. It will be nice when all finished up. Shitload of work to have something different.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      76.6 KB
      Views:
  14. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

1957 fairlane dash cut and blended to wrap into the garnish moldings

15. fatabone

fatabone

You guys have made some cool looking dashes!

Slag...could you show a pic of your dash with a door open?
    I like the way you blended the door in.