Register now to get rid of these ads!

The HAMB is TOO big!!

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 5window, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5window

5window

Thanks,you have a good point. I have been here for a little while-six years-I live in the country and I only have 7 TV channels. I appreciate that you enjoy the wide variety of posts available to you on the general board.

2. Haywood

Haywood
    from M'boro,TN

It would be extremely helpful if people would learn how to make a comment on a picture thread, without coping half the pictures IN THEIR COMMENT! :rolleyes:

3. Just Jones

Just Jones

I guess the main thing is you enjoy the HAMB and find it useful, if somewhat overwhelming. Could be worse, right? :D

Have a good one - Jones

4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Manup / Delete them all :)

5. RichG

RichG

No, don't do that because then all those posters will spread out like oil over water and flood us with a plethora of new unrelated subject threads.

Besides, there's a lot of interesting information in some of those threads.:D

6. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

I don't think that will go very well. As far as sticking to the official mantra of the board, not they're not relevant, but some are a lot more interesting than the newb questions about how much oil their motor takes, or threads about vintage TV/Americana/photography, etc.
    I don't think there is an effective way to "downsize" this board, and why the hell would anyone want to try?

7. It's comparable to looking for parts at an auto swap meet; you just have to sift through it all to find what you need. The 'search' feature is good too, I use that a lot since I have dial-up internet, & anything takes forever to load. :)

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

If a Newbie ( or anybody else ) wants to know how much his On Topic engine takes, than thats a Relevant Thread.

'cause, that means he's working on it, right?

I agree about the TV, Americana/photography, etc...

And I'm not talking about any downsizing.

Just about keeping its Focus, as much as possible...

9. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

I agree that it is, and you see plenty of those, it's an automotive forum.
    Thing is, that if it were split up into categories, say, general BS, Tech, etc, by far the largest category (and fastest moving) would be the BS.
    I don't think it should be downsized either. I'm just not able to wrap my head around the OP's grievance. There's plenty of forums out there that may get 1 or 2 new topics and a dozen posts a day....it's lame.
    You guys seem to root out alot of things that are deemed OT, but tend to leave numerous threads that are also OT, but appeal to the general interests of the demographic. No problem for the majority of us...

10. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I have nothing better to do so I enjoy reading them all.

11. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Remember, the mods don't read every post.

If you want less off-topic posts, just hit the report button on the ones you find.

Shawn

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

14. wanabe28

wanabe28

If it wasn't for H.A.M.B i'd have to do work at work, more power to the H.A.M.B.:D

15. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

What if there was a way to only read the threads by rating. If you only wanted to read threads that had a rating of 4 stars and up or just 5 star rated threads? Is that possible?

16. Threads already have a star rating next to them. The thing is that even with star ratings, it does not catagorize the thread, it's just someone clicking to give the thread a star because they think that it is cool or revelant to them.

One thing that may be helpful is when you have your cursor over a thread and it gives you a small 2 line preview of the thread, to make that preview more like 5 or 10 lines long and have it remain untill you move your cursor off of it, instead of it going away after a few seconds. This would allow a true preview of the thread without having to click on it and actually enough time to read it. I actually mentioned this to Ryan at roundup a few years back, but he is just too overwhelmed when he is there working the booth and doing his thing.

17. Bump for this one. Any fresh perspectives? Maybe WE can all help the mods out by recognizing that some things just aren't going to be accepted by the majority.

I'm as guilty as anyone of straying off the yellow brick road (of early hot rodding), but I'm not starting many threads these days....

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Ya see, part of the problem is guys like me. I grew up with the hamb as it progressed. Way back when, we didn't have a lot to talk about so things got off topic. It was a bad habit and I still find myself doing it.

I met 95% of the guys I hang with on the hamb. I have friends all over the world because of the hamb.

I think if it gets too rigid, the feel of the hamb will disappear. Now, do I think we get carried away sometimes, probably, but at the end of the day, it's the most social board I have ever been on. Guys feel like they know people, just from reading their posts. Did that answer your question ? Probably not......see I am doing it again dang it.

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

Seems to me ( and I could be completely wrong about this ) that in the earlier days of the HAMB we did get silly and Off Topic every once in a while.
    But we all knew exactly why we were here, and we'd get back On Topic and post more Relevant and On Topic content.

Now we seem to have whole groups that are here for some Off Topic subject or another, and they have no reason to get back On Topic.
    Thats not what they are here for...
    The fact that we like things to be about Traditional Hot Rods and Traditional Customs is probably just an inconvenience to them.

So the way things are Moderated has probably evolved a bit because of that.

But, speaking for myself, I do try to keep some of the randomness and playfullness whenever its possible.
    Specially if it comes from an Old Time User who has put in many years of posting good Valuable Content.
    ( if that is a double standard, so be it...)

Its a balancing act.
    Between getting too rigid, and allowing things to get too far Off Topic...

20. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Hmm, I just spent a few minutes taking a look at the threads you have posted. Seems as though there are so many, too many, that are pure nonsense. I suggest that you sit back and rethink your approach to this website. Eliminate all the trivial and inane postings. A truly stupid post or question is okay once in a while, but you seem to do it more than others. Stop doing that and everything will be better.

21. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I simply know that whenever I sign on I will miss a lot of good posts and some not too good posts down the page.

If I see a thread at the top a few times I figure I have been missing something good and I will look into it.

Fact of the matter is that in life we will miss some good stuff while we live our lives, some on line, and some off line....

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Is that directed to me or the OP?

23. b-bop

b-bop

OK I just gotta say it...........its because of threads like this that, add no value to the enjoyment of tools and of building stuff that waste time and space on the HAMB :):):)

24. 117harv

117harv

To say this site means alot to me is an understatement, i'm here every day. I do see newbies that join because of OT threads that are as previously stated...grand fathered in...when a search comes up during Google. I mean do disrespect to Ryan, but i think alot of problems could be solved by doing the following.

When a new member signs up, a screen with all the rules shows when choosing a screen name. This would stop potential members with the wrong/OT rides from joining and getting flamed, and choosing the wrong user name....we have all seen them.

Large bold letters on the main page saying....hokey ass message board (AKA) the HAMB, forum for traditionaly styled hot rods & customs. I do see people asking on a regular basis what that HAMB means, and you have to search for the words traditional hot rods and customs.

Alot of newbies find the HAMB to be ambigous at best, and get turned off with flaming from members as they didn't fully enderstand what the criteria here is about. I have seen replies from some newbies and older members saying that hot rodding is about using what is at hand, and that is true, but like it was done back when....just my opiion...long live the best site ever...thanks RYAN:):):)

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I tuk the Evelyn Woodhead sped ridden corse and I ain't never had no problums. :rolleyes:

26. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

OH, OH!! Definitely, the O.P. Absolutely not you. Not sure how I managed to screw up that reply. No offense, no harm (I hope?), no foul.

27. 5window

5window

I haven't revisited this thread since I posted it 9 months ago, but wow! Of the 24 most recent posts you've made-the whole first page of your "Find More Posts By..." - 6 might be considered technical help or contributing to traditional hotrodding and 18 are fluff-"welcome top the HAMB, post an introduction, do a search". Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, people who live in glass houses-whatever-you've got no room to criticize.

28. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

How to start an Internet fight in just two easy steps...

Step 1. Post an opinion.

Step 2. Wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.