Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dragster project - Finally some progress.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry, Apr 2, 2011.

1. I finally got something done on my digger. No more scotchbrite and WD40 to keep her from rusting!!!!

I got the steel cleaned and prepped, primered with etch primer, and painted. Nothing fancy, just an acrylic enamel with some wet look hardener. I have to say my hat goes off to all who do this for a living, I'm not quitting my day job! I've painted other cars but shooting tube is a major PITA! It's not perfect but I think it's passable.

I've been gathering goodies for the engine, roller cam and lifters, hard chromed rocker shafts, some real nifty billet aluminum rods, etc. The block is at a buddies hot tank right now. I've got some Embeco 885 to fill the block. After replacing the bent valves, I cut the valve spring seat pockets for some larger springs. The ones I was going to use were to close to bind when open for comfort so I've got a set of Comp Cams 917 springs coming.

Slowly but surely I'm getting there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

looking good kerry!

3. yay.....shiney black is a good thing, looking forward to seeing it back on its wheels.

Cheers,

Drewfus

4. FWilliams

FWilliams

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Keep us up to date on any more progress.

Frank

6. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

right on kerry!!!!!

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

8. sweetness

9. Nice man!@

10. Thanks guys. :)

I I picked up the block after work, along with the valve springs. My mind had completely blocked out what a pain in the butt it is filling the block. I got one side done, put a head on and torqued it down to set and dry. Also got the new springs in the heads. Other than some cleanup, they are ready to bolt on.

I really need to order the pistons as I know there will be a bit of a wait. Feels GOOD to make some progress!

11. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

Looking good Kerry, do you think it will be done for Leadsled? Planning on doing a 2 out of 3 with a buddy of mine from NW KS. If we have enough FEDs would you be interested in an elimination type show for the fans? We can all run against each other and then Gary can kick all our rears with his roadster!

12. aircap

aircap

Spectacular!

13. Heck yeah, she'll be alive by then. Count me in. If Hanna is included we are all toast!

14. BTW, has Gary given you a ride since he got his engine back together? He asys she's one wild ride!

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

Looks great bro!

Can't wait to see it and hear it in person.

16. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

Not yet but if Gary thinks its wild I will surely need a clean pair of shorts after the ride!

17. Kerry good to hear. I been thinking about you some lately and wondering how the new mill was comming along.

18. chevy3755

chevy3755

nice work.....

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

looks great man...

20. Looks awesome.... paint on a chassis always starts to bring it all together and yeah, a total bitch to lay it down perfect... I can only think of a handful of old drag car painters and letterers that could get it right... see ya in August...

TH

21. ryno

ryno

looking good man.
    you even got some stripe's on the dog!

22. 150J/F

150J/F

Glad to see you puttin her back together...

23. It certainly looks well built !

24. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Looking good Kerry! Glad to see you`re making progress..

Tom T

25. Thanks again for all the kind words guys. :)

Ordered pistons and rings tonight. Ouch! I should have ordered sooner as there is a three week turnaround plus shipping. Then I went and picked up a battery for my 72 Honda chopper to get her ready to sell. Gotta find some piston money.

26. 30roadster

30roadster

Beautiful Kerry! .. More pic's when you have progress please... :D

27. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

You'll get it Kerry. Now someone buy his chopper , so we can see some fed tire smoke.!!!!!!

28. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Can't wait to see the finished product.

29. 1972 Honda CL450. She runs, drives, is legal and tagged. Needs some tlc. Think I can get $650 for her?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]