Register now to get rid of these ads!

I wanna see pics of brush painted cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Oct 5, 2010.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

how are you guys doing this with no roller or brush marks ?? this is quit the interesting idea ! ................ steve

2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok , i have used it to get stain to penetrate wood . it will work with paint also ? no discolor ? ........... thank you .. steve

3. That's a cool little hot rod !!!!;)

4. GARY?

GARY?

Jeem, great pic!! My new desktop.

5. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

6. yblock292

yblock292

My avatar, done in the 50's

7. BRUSH PAINT STORY
    We know that at one time brush painting was the norm. My GREAT grandfather, Daniel, was an ornamental painter and in his earlier years (pre 1900) worked for the Pullman Car Company near Chicago. Faux finishes, gold leaf, signage and such. Moved to Oklahoma (Indian Territory then) in 1890 and painted signs, houses, scenic stage drops and the like until he got too old to work. He died in 1944 and I never met him. His son, my grandfather, told of how Dan would brush paint autos at a local shop here in town (probably in the 1920's or earlier). Brushed on a "dark gray" (primer?) and covered it with a clear coat and it finished out as a deep glossy black! I always thought this was interesting....

If here were here today, I'd ask him what paint and style brushes he used

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  8. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

9. mine

Attached Files:

10. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

my ex-father in law played with midget racers (NE Penna) and would paint lacquer thinned with amoco gasoline and a high dollar brush, sanded between coats then buffed final. looked like a spray job!

11. 1932tub

1932tub

How did you think they painted cars before spray guns were invented?
    My uncle was a very clever car painter who learnt painting with a brush then spraying as it became the norm. He would two tone a car by spraying the body then brushing the guards. A one day job rather than a two day job masking and spraying. Forget brush marks you would not tell the difference between the brush and the spray.
    He was a master of pin striping, lining he used to call it. He would wire two striping brushes together, load them with different colours and lay a two tone pin stripe.

12. In about 1955 I watched my uncle paint his '39 Olds coupe with a powder puff. Bright red and it turned out pretty good.

13. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I read a story a long time ago in Readers Diget Magizine about brush painting cars. There was a company ( probably somewhere around Detroit ) that was developing the spray paint process. At that time all cars were brush painted and the process was a long and labor intensive one. I think I remember reading that it took about a month for to hand paint a car with all the coats , sanding , repainting ,etc. The story went that the company that was developing the spray process had not had any luck convincing the executives at GM of the process. So one day they invited the GM guy to visit their place. They had planned to delay,stall the GM guy for about two hours. The GM guy arrived and left his black car in the lot. As soon as he was inside , the car was taken to another building, completely sanded , preped and spray painted several coats of bright red. It was put back in the lot just in time for the GM guy to find it sitting there when he left. He was finally convinced thatb the spray process worked.

14. jonly

jonly

my dad and grandfather painted my aunt's 64 rambler in the early 70s. The side they painted during the first 12 pack actually turned out pretty decent, the other side looked like it was put on with a push broom. We laughed about it every Christmas.

alanp561 likes this.
  15. Mutt

Mutt

Exactly. Why brush it when there are much better and quicker ways to apply paint...:eek:

Attached Files:

16. Amazing results with most of these, I would have never thought! I will definitely try this on my roadster when the time comes

17. Bodger45

Bodger45

Saving thread.

18. squirrel

squirrel

I just finished this one, brushed on rustoleum. Did the bodywork, paint (interior too) and an engine swap in about two weeks. Would have taken me years if I did it right.

[​IMG]

This one was owned by a house painter, it was painted with a brush when we got it in 1977. inside was orange with blue accents. Bed had about 1/4" of dried spilled paint covering the wood.

[​IMG]

alanp561 likes this.
  19. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Great information!

20. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Shoot, go down middlefield rd. in redwood city, every other car is painted with a brush !

21. boldventure

boldventure

22. seret

seret

por15 <p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Brent- likes this.
  23. That thing is super Bitchin!!!

24. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

My phaeton is brush painted

Attached Files:

25. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

Green paint brush on mine

Attached Files:

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yesssssss*

*napolean dynamite

27. Cymro

Cymro

No pics i,m afraid but in my younger days, with my mates we painted several O/T cars with a coach painting enamel called "Tekaloid" applied on a hot day or with the paint can in a bucket of hot water, and a decent brush it flowed beautifully, with very few brushmarks, given time to dry it could be wet sanded, t cut and polished to a very acceptable finish. ( young lads tatty looking cars= Cop magnet)

I checked earlier and Tekaloid is still available in the UK at just under £20 a litre, (just under two pints thats all we usually used)

http://www.tools-paint.com/product/1_Litre_Tekaloid_T318_Coach_Enamel_T3180Ta1

28. Kenny DFW

Kenny DFW

No paint - it was constructed from 100% herbal materials :)

29. willyslancs

willyslancs
    from u.k

done over 20 years ago .....

Attached Files: