Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with a Chevy 55' 3100. What to look for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gonzo2424, Mar 31, 2011.

1. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Its been a long time since I posted on here, but if there is one thing I know, its that HAMBERS have good advice. I have owned a 54 210, and now I am looking at getting a 55' Chevy truck.
    As I am looking I would like to know any tips what to look for, known problems, rust areas, etc...
    I have done some research, but I want to see what I can get from yall.
    Anything will help!
    Appreciate it.

2. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Open the doors and lift up and check hindge pockets, especially the passengers side. Door bottoms due to small drain holes and cab corners are all hot spots. Also, check around the steps on the bed. Good luck.

3. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Exactly the stuff I need, thanks! Anyone else have any coments?

4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

55 first or second?

5. cide1

cide1

I'm assuming 55 2nd series, but I imaging the first series isn't much different. Around the headlight pocket, and the back bottom half of the front fenders. Check behind / under gas tank as well. If it could rust, it did on my '56 3600. I have yet to start repairing my cab, but the hinge pocket repair is the scariest one for me.

Also, the column shift boxes tend to give people a lot of problems.

The exhaust riser valve on my exhaust manifold was stuck closed, which caused the engine to run really rich. A couple taps with a rubber hammer resolved the issue.

My master cylinder was completely shot.

Mine had 16.5" wheels on it when I got it, which are pretty hard / expensive to find tires for. I think the 3100 had smaller wheels.

6. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Hey mine is for sale.picks are in my albums.I have a different cab and doors to.shoot me pm.if intrested