Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody running vintage Pirelli radials?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Zenor, Jan 10, 2010.

1. In particular the Pirelli Cinturado series (CA67, CN36). These came out in the late '50s and I think were OE on a lot of Euro sports cars; Jags, Ferraris, etc. Wondering if any HAMBer is using them on a hot rod. I'm considering Pirellis on Torq Thrust Ds as a mid/late 60s "change-up" look on my 32 5 window.

Love to see any other vintage (pre-1970) radial applications: Firestone, Michelin, etc.

2. I think this came up in one of the Excelsior threads?

3. Thanks Trent. Lucas has the street version Pirelli CA67 155SR15 for $220, which didn't seem awfully bad. I'm curious as to durability.

4. From all the questions I have asked I think most of these are a softer tire........15K or so is considered good.

5. Lucas has a "Race/Show" version which I'm assuming is a softer compound, and about 50 bucks cheaper. I was thinking about having a set of radials for long-haul duty (I'd keep bias plys for local driving). 15k life seems pretty bad...

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Pirelli's were the coolest looking front tires...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Hello:

What is the model name of this Whitewall 155 15 Pirelli as taken from a 1964 PHR magazine article. Thank you again!

Attached Files:

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Pirelli, Vredestein, Michelins and Avons are all good performers and look good. Keep in mind... you should use the same brand / style tire on all four wheels if at all possible and never mix radials / bias types. Gary

9. Mike
    I haven't run them myself and I have no aversion to Radial tires. unless i can give somene a hard time about them mind you.

In the early '60s the Ol' man put Pirellis on the roadster as soon as he could aford them. He said why should an import handle better then his car.

So it isn't going to be accepted by the main stream trad rodder but I can attest to the fact that it was done in the eraly '60s and I have to believe that the Ol' Man wasn't the only one that did it.

10. rld14

rld14

They're very good tires. I had em on Euro sports cars tho. Better than XWXs which are stupidly expensive and not very good IMO.

11. Weasel

Weasel

I would love to find a pair of Pirelli Super Stelvio tires as used on self respecting gassers in the 1960s. These are Shakey Puddin 55s and I hate him....;)

[​IMG]

12. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Love ya Weasel :D

I also prefer the Stelvio's:

These are 4.00/4.25-15's
    [​IMG]

These are 5.00-15's
    [​IMG]

13. fast356

fast356