Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 ford dash differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Mar 29, 2011.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

How do you tell Truck ,3 window ,Five window and roadster .....What do you look for

2. 3 w's I have seen had a glove box. 5w's have a rib above them. Truck just has different look. Best I can do. Picture ???

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Thats a good idea ,Post pictures of truck dash ,Roadster and coupes ,

babblewon likes this.
  4. jetmek

jetmek

sedan and coupe have a rib across top can be either inny or outty, 3w has glovebox door roadster just has a flat lip with mount holes across top truck is about 2 or3 inches narrower side to side than coupe/sedan. 33/34 truck doesnt have a removeable gauge face/dash tunnel.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

All closed passenger except the visibly different 3W use the same dash (which has minor variations over time). Find a pic of any of them, then get someone on here to measure width. Truck dash (which must have oval hole to be '32, though '33-4 with stamped oval will fit) is slightly wider than the passenger one. You'll be able to tell at a glance once you have seen both, but until then go with width.
    Roadster looks like someone trimmed away the top beaded area, leaving only a simple flange with captive nuts, and then for a curveball there is the roadster pickup dash! Study the curve of a roadster lower edge, plenty of pictures on here, a RPU is curvier along the bottom to clear knees and has an extra whoop-de-do at each end of the lower edge lacking on all others.
    Glovebox and matching stamping on other side clearly ID the 3W from others.
    Then there are two completely different Ford of England dash types...
    Obviously, all the above should be avoided, as you probably want an Auburn...

6. European tudor dash (with suicide doors):)

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That's the Ford England dash for '32...they continued to build deuces into '33-4 with minor restyling, different model designation I can't remember...those got 1934 looking dashes with instruments in front of driver!

8. That's correct Bruce, this one is a 1932 tudor from Denmark.
    My 1932 tudor from France has the same dash as this one.
    I know 33-35 European deuces had different dashes.

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

1932 Ford 3W dash ... see the glove box door and the cigar lighter. Also has a raised panel around the instrument cluster. :) No visible bolts holding it to the cowl. Only 32 with a glove box and cigar lighter
    :D :D

[​IMG]

A INNIE dash ... the top is recessed ( closed car dash = 5W, sedans and non open cars )

[​IMG]

A OUTIE dash the top is pushed outward ( closed car = 5W, sedans and non open cars )

[​IMG]

1932 Ford open car dash ( roadster and phaeton ) ... see how the dash actually slips into the cowl and hangs on the lip. The bolts are clearly visible ... in the cowl rail.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and LOU WELLS like this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Deuce Roadster, the innie you pictured is actually a truck dash. But, passenger cars did have innies also (early production). They look exactly like the outie you pictured, but with the upper reveal changed.

All '32 trucks were innies. Not all innies were trucks.

11. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

12. 117harv

117harv

$(KGrHqQOKigE12ZK,mdLBNij44c!9!~~_12.jpg $(KGrHqEOKjsE1l8pmYiwBNij5DhdT!~~_14.jpg $(KGrHqYOKocE12NvzmgrBNij48(SSw~~_12.jpg Here is a 32 3 window dash that is on ebay now...$760.00 with more than two days left....standard 32 prices:eek:.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Actually ... $760 is cheap ... most bring a grand or more and I would not be surprised to see this one top a grand when the auction is over.

14. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Tudor sedan dash

Attached Files:

15. tom1him

tom1him
    from Omaha

I know this an old thread but can anyone help me ID this one? I found it in a barn with a bunch of random T and A parts

IMG_7650.JPG

16. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

17. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

nobody has brought this up yet bit the truck is a little wider. by like 1.5 inches or so as I recall. I bought a coupe dash for my truck a while back. then promptly resold it.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Top to bottom-
    1) Truck- note the different spacing of the side bolt holes than the rest
    2) 5w/ Sedan "outie" - upper bead pattern sticks out
    3) 5w/ Sedan "innie" - upper bead pattern sticks inward
    4) roadster- top flares out and bolts to cowl in a totally different way image.jpg

stillrunners and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also- the 33/34 truck dashes had the center hole filled like in the photo 3 posts above. Otherwise they were the same bolt pattern and shape as the 32 truck. Also very subtle, but the shape of the truck lower is slightly different than the coupe/ sedan, as well as the distance from the center hole to the lower edge of the dash.

stillrunners likes this.
  20. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Great examples. Thanks for posting.

21. Pete

Pete

Excellent thread, just used it as reference.

22. swifty

swifty

x77matt you've got a fortune in dashes there! An excellent collection and thanks for sharing as it makes it easier to compare all versions.

23. mlinton1941

mlinton1941

I'm looking for an original cigar lighter for a 3-window and also the ash tray ????

24. alchemy

alchemy

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Trivia on the cigar lighter...it only came from factory in the 3W, as noted above, but during 1932 there was a service bulletin showing how to put a parts counter 3W lighter into the other closed car dashboards by just enlarging the center top screw hole. Results differed a bit from the 3W, since that hole did not have a recess to sink the lighter into the dasha bit.

Moriarity likes this.
  26. mlinton1941

mlinton1941

is the 32 BB truck dash the same as the regular truck dash ?

27. alchemy

alchemy

28. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

Could someone check the thickness of the material from the original dashboard? I wonder if the repro parts are the same thickness.