Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Chevy 210 Front End Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54LedSled, Mar 28, 2011.

1. 54LedSled

54LedSled

I recently picked up a 53 2dr 210 and I need to get the front end rebuilt. its got some bump steer/pull when I drive and turn (the steering is not in the correct position when driving straight). I realize I'm gonna have to play with the castor/camber?? Right?

But the front end also needs to be rebuilt, I am looking for a good all in one kit. I looked at Kanter, but I don't know how easy this would be for a poor man garage guy like myself...any suggestions?

Does anyone have any pics or already exsisting discussions on how to rebuild the front end?

I'm new to the world of early chevy's so any help would be great, thanks!

Matt

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Get thee a factory service manual OR a Motor's manual covering your year of car. A Motor's from as late as 58 will have the info you need. Before diving of the deep end get the steering box on "high center" and grease the entire front end. Then with help to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth look for play/lost motion. The center link on that style front suspension is famous for slop.

3. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Thanks, I just got the Chevrolet Car Shop Manual, just trying to see if anyone has a thread with pics for greater detail. It really helps...I am also thinking about adding some fatman drop uprights..

4. George/Maine

George/Maine

The best thing to do for starters is replace the king pins.Look at the part and replace it.Get a big hammer.

5. gwarren007

gwarren007

6. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Thanks a bunch guys! Kanter said I would need a hydraulic press for the shafts...I don't have one. How do I go around that?

7. gwarren007

gwarren007

Napa/Carquest/ local machine shop

8. fbama73

fbama73

9. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

I have used Kanter bros kit a few times. they are very complete and decent quality. Ive never needed a press to rebuild an old chevy, just hand tools and a big hammer and drift. The job is labour intensive but straitforward. Go to the Old Chevy Manuals Online site for the factory manual. It has good step by step instruction. Like George/Main said check your kingpins and that pesky centerlink bellcrank bushings and pin first.

10. You don't need a press for anything on the front end. The guy at Kanter may have been thinking of pressing out the kingpin bushings. On Fords yes, they are pressed in. On Chevies of this era the bushings are "floating" they will come out without a press. Todd

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

...and if you're going to do a complete rebuild on it, you can unbolt the whole mess and drop it out from under the frame for much better access.

12. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

Heathen is right. Just drop the whole thing off the frame then you can clean everything up really nice paint. Makes for a real nice job.

13. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Thats the idea, I gonna unbolt the whole front end and take it apart one side at a time. Try to use what information I have at my disposal to get it right.

My other car is a 63 vw, well a volksrod roadster...I can work on those front ends all day long :)

14. 54LedSled

54LedSled

The other thing thats holding me back at this point is whether to get some lowered jamco springs and dropped uprights..$$$$$

15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Old thread but still help full. btt

17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Heck yea, thats the go to thread to rebuild these old Chevy front ends ! Did mine using that one over a decade ago.