Register now to get rid of these ads!

The HAMB is TOO big!!

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 5window, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5window

5window

While I love the HAMB, it's really getting awkward to use. I just logged on at 10AM and there are 123 new posts-4 pages worth-since 7AM. That means that, on a "normal" day when I am working, I would face 12 pages and 500 posts when I logged on at night. I am not sure how to adjust to that-it takes most of my on-line time just trolling through a lot of posts just to find the ones that I care about.

Anyone else having this issue-or am I just old and weird"

2. aaggie

aaggie

Filters are for more than fuel and oil. Subscribe to just those threads you are interested in and allocate the rest of your time.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

And you still end up missing some really cool threads.

I need a class on how to view the newest most relevant threads.

Rich

4. I'm new to the Hamb and newer to computers in general (old guy, that refused to learn). That being said, it is kinda overwhelming, but in a goodness look-at-all-that-knowledge sort of way.

5. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I think part of it is that some folks use the HAMB like they would use twitter. Then there are those that seem to believe the HAMB is an appraisal tool...maybe thinking it's some kind of web spin off i.e.: "Hemmings Automotive Memorabilia Ballparkers"?

6. On the MustangsandMore forum they've got threads broken down into categories.
    There's about 5-6 designations for different years
    Then about another half dozen for various Ford types
    Even have a few dedicated to what would normally be off-topic subjects like swap meets, humor, political, ToolTime, Ladies only, etc. Sometimes its nice to exchange ideas with your buds even when its not related to cars.

Its easy to avoid subjects you're not interested in, but at the same time you might miss something that could have been of value to you.

Its not better, just different.

7. Don't worry because most of those 500 post ar, e ( wow, that's bad ass) or something similar, perhaps a smart ass comment, or you may just miss a valuable thread like this one. (Perfect example of smart ass comments lol)

8. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I'm guessing the irony of posting about the fact that there are too many new posts is lost on you... :)

9. Just Jones

Just Jones

Just making sure I am understanding the complaint - you feel there is too much information on the HAMB for you to read?

Seriously - I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I am really trying to figure out how that is a problem besides the fact that it takes time to actually read it.

10. cochran242

cochran242
    from Denver

I am fairly new to the HAMB and I get totally lost in all the posts and whatnot here... but that is what I find great. I can spend hours reading the posts. Now my wife\work may feel differently!

11. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

I don't know how old you are......but weird...yes.

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

Sounds like a luxury problem to me...

13. I have to say that I'm with him. not too much info, just too many irrelevant/needless comments. Most things can be found with the search function, but most people are too lazy. Almost anything that can be asked on here has been asked and answered. There have many times that I felt like commenting on something, but felt that it did not truely add to the info on the thread, many people do not seem to use the same self-filtering train of thought. I guess that this just adds one more to my meger post cound vs. the time that I have been on the HAMB....hope I contributed:rolleyes:

14. Never too big. Full of good information. Just need to filter out what your intrest are. Or use the search tab on what you want to read up on.:cool:

15. 5window

5window

Still a problem, but I appreciate the discussion

16. 5window

5window

With all due respect, the luxury is time. Time spent wading through topics I am not yet interested in,pointless posts and threads that will not apply to my geographic area wast TIME I could use reading posts on my topics of interest, or working on my car, or playing outdoors.

17. What are your intrest?:cool:

18. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Better get busy........ LOL!

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

Acctually, I do understand some of what you are saying.

I find myself reading Threads that I have absolutely no interest in, to see if they are going too far Off Topic ( because they do...), and possibly Edit to bring them back on track.
    ( not to mention dealing with the avalanche of Drama that can happen after you Moderate one of those O/T Threads.)
    And I know I'm missing some cool stuff because of that...

But if I wasn't a Mod, I could just ignore those Threads.

Sorry, I didn't mean to trivialise your problem...

20. brad chevy

brad chevy

Let see pointless threads,1.what color is this car? 2. drained some coolant,how much do I put back in. No need to add anymore .These are your own threads so why bitch for the 2nd time about a problem when you are part of it.Work on your car and do the other things you are interested in .

21. patman

patman

Aww...c'mon...surprised nobody has said it yet...

"That's what SHE said..."

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

OK...

So maybe its time to have a constructive conversation about what kind of Threads are Pointless.

Me personally, I dont understand why we need to have Threads about pedalcars, bicycles, stepvans, and hearses.

But they are kinda grandfathered in.
    ( or are they?)

23. chris55

chris55

5 words "Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Course."

24. Just Jones

Just Jones

I can totally agree there there is an element of useless chatter on the HAMB, but I don't think we can expect the moderators to filter that stuff out without it becoming a major headache for them - really, an impossible job depending on too many judgment calls, I would think.

As mentioned before, the best way I have found to use the HAMB is through doing specific searches (using the advanced search options) to find the information I need at the time . . . almost never lets me down.

This way I don't have to bother with the stuff that is not of interest to me.

25. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Some one will put up a few pictures and half the population of North America will thank him. All using the same words.

26. 5window

5window

OOH, got me-maybe. I will confess to more than likely having posted some pointless threads-nobody is perfect. I don't remember the coolant one-you must have spent quite bit of time searching my past.

I do remember the paint color one-I was working on selecting a color to re-paint my car and found the color on the car in question to be interesting and a possibility for mine. I am not sure why that one was worthless.(I ended up with a 1929 Balsam Green and I found it by asking on the Ford Barn-they probably thought it was a pointless thread as well but were kind enough to answer my question.)

You have an unusual definition of "bitching"-not all questions or disagreements are rants or bitching, and I asked a second time because the first query got so few responses.

27. 5window

5window

This is a good point and I do use the Advanced Search element. The problem with that is the same as the Internet vs the Library. With the Internet, you can probably find information on anything you search for, but only on what you search for. Browsing through a library may, or may not, get you what you are searching for,but there is also the possibility of a serendipitous discovery of something that fascinates you,but is completely off the topic you were looking for. So, an Advanced Search will indeed locate everything about a Model A cowl, for instance, but won't let me find one of Ryan's historical perspectives that's buried under a huge pile of new threads. My loss, I think.

28. I understand how big it all seems at the start, but you learn to navagate around what intrests you eventually.
    Part of the reason i like this place is because its so big, and i can choose what to look at, and spend as long as i like here, without running out of stuff to read.
    I live in a small town, and only have 9 tv channels. I love the fact that theres always truckloads to see here, dedicated to my hot rod sickness.

29. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Why don't you try Evelyn Wood Speed Reading.

[​IMG]

30. 5window

5window

See Rule #62. Also post # 23. It's a discussion-no need to take it to a personal level. FWIW-I've spent the better part of my life studying in a profession where speed reading and comprehension are rather large requirements. That is NOT the point either. If you don't have a problem with the organization and don't mind exploring all the posts available, just say so.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.