Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHRR or the March Meet. Which one do you like more?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Foot Feed, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jfrolka

jfrolka

Doubletree off rosedale if you can.... book asap

2. Mr. Galore

Mr. Galore

thanks, the missus is checking on it as we speak

3. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

As someone said, it depends on what you are into. If you just want to see racing, certainly the MM. If you dig the old stuff the CHRR, although with the caveat that in my opinion, the NHRA sorta screwed it up when they made it a heritage series race. You used to see guys with cool old lower class stuff (injected gas dragsters, Pierre Poncia's Charile's Business coupe, the Sissel twin 6-cylinder digger, etc.) make exhibition passes and those guys have all gotten squeezed out because the newstalgia cars need to go rounds as well as have a tendency to puke all over the track. So both the MM and the CHRR the last couple of years have become oil down festivals with a lot of time to observe how track cleaning equipment operates. I liked the CHRR much better when the racing was just casual and for "atmosphere." Once it became a points meet... meh.

If you can't tell, I've become less of a fan of the nostalgia nitro classes over the past few years because they've managed to kill all the aspects of the "nostalgia" angle that made the stuff so cool in the first place. IMO it was a lot better when they had the spirit of the period with just the chassis safety upgrades.

For instance, with the nostalgia funny cars, now there are no half track burnouts, dry hops, flames at idle, etc. etc. People are bitching about the new "nostalgia" rear engine fueler class- and I don't dig it either, but I don't understand the fuss- to me it's just the rear engine version of what the funny cars, FEDs and "gassers" (alky burning "slow" pro mod cars) are, so I don't get what the bitching is about.

As much as I love drag racing, I'm astounded at the ability of drag racers to repeatedly crap in their own sandbox and then wonder what the hell happened when things get all screwed up and they find they can no longer afford to play in the sandbox.

I certainly hope that on some level the reset button can be reset and there be an outlet for people who want a more vintage approach and attitude where it's about that kind of car and racing within those limitations, rather than it being people who want to be big fish in a small pond that don't care about the vintage or nostalgia aspect.

My .10 cents, of course.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  4. Mr. Galore

Mr. Galore

and the rooms are booked! thanks for the heads up, stoked to be making this journey...DAMN drag racing in CA, I know it'll never be Lions in the 60's again, but this'll be as close as the "born to late" guy will get, now all I gotta do is figure out how to get my heap down a track on the land of fruits n' nuts lol

5. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Double tree was sold out on the first day that you could actually book a room in Febuary. Thats why i ended up a block down the street. Start trying to book as soon as you can.

6. jfrolka

jfrolka

How bout the hotel behind the double tree? Get a room off rosedale, all the action is on rosedale after the race. Or if u can camp at the track, good times cruisin the top fuel pits with cocktail in hand and nitro cars firing up after the rebuild from last run of the day..

7. We stayed there this past weekend. Rosedale Hotel. They have a BBQ joint on the premises, the Bull Shed. Pretty damn good food

8. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Lots of motels and hotels there and in Oildale. Don't wait till September to book though (like I always do) Last time i stayed at the E-Z 8 across the highway from the Doubletree and an easy walk/stagger back to the room after the overdose of excitement on Friday night.

I also liked the event more several years ago but there is still new stuff to see every year at the CHRR and it's a must attend event.

9. AG F/C TF rules in nostalgia TF have never been limited to Donovans and early HEMIs. Other engines such as small and big chevs, and others like my Pontiac have been welcome. the only engine clearly excluded was the 426 or any variant of it. That was until a few years back, now the 426 is legal too.
    Even my '62 M/T Hemi Pontiac heads were allowed. I presented them to the Vintage Racing association and they added that part number to the rule book.
    For many years, they allowed a bit more blower overdrive too if you ran an iron block to help balance things out.
    I am just going to hang loose, test in Az and wait. Something will come up, perhaps the IHRA may put something together or there is racing in the mid west. I may even put together some match races.

It is nice to know I am not the only one here that feels the way I do.

10. Foot Feed

Foot Feed
    from AK

Ug, I watched for a bit. :rolleyes:

The announcing at the track was terrible.

Funny Car was refereed to as Top Fuel Funny Car numerous times by the track announcers.

But, I will say it was nice to see something other than generic race cars with the somewhat predictable outcomes of today's NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car classes. The fields were dominated by team cars either.

I could actually look at the funny cars at MM and tell what they were. :D

11. The 9 and 10 second stuff was lots of fun to watch. MANY different kinds of cars with lots of body language on the launch and going down the track. The faster stuff was a bit more precise and not quite as fun to watch

12. Strip T's

Strip T's

Want real Nostalgia old school drag racing....try ANRA
    www.anra.com No nitro...no non sense. Open Wheel is an awesome class.....they run the HAMB's in it.

13. jfrolka

jfrolka

the bullshed!

14. jfrolka

jfrolka

sorry but anra is such a slow ass weekend for the $ and the competition level SUCKS!!!!!

15. I wish Dragfest had survived. Welp theres always Rocky's Eagle Field. As far as Famoso goes CHHR hands down for the whole gathering throughout town and at the track.-Weeks

16. Strip T's

Strip T's

Jordan,
    Stick with the Heritage Series...it's MUCH BETTER.....right?.....talk about week azz car counts.....and some of the biggest whiners ever.
    ANRA car counts are over 200....and NHRA HS at all but the CHRR and MARCH MEET....suck....what....73 cars at the opener?

17. jfrolka

jfrolka

I like heritage but thats just me... they just need to drop places like az and sacramento... after all most of these guys are from central to southern cali... not all of us want to do the far drive and $500 gas bill, thats why az opener sucked and why az car counts are always down

18. AG F/C

AG F/C

It was a great event last weekend even with the blow. Mother nature again. It made for some good fun. Just can't make it back up to finish eliminations this weekend due to family. We were in the show.

Next for us is Vegas in May and back to 7.0.

Safe racing for all.....

19. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

I like both shows as a spectator. The best one is which ever one has the biggest swap meet. For a real old school drag race show, come to eagle field . This is pretty much how most San Joaquin valley strips were years ago !!!

20. x2!;)

21. From a guy who has attended all three events (CHHR, BG and MM), I say that the CHHR & BG are far and away the most fun events. I really like BG because of the cool track facility. For nostalgia events it's simply awsome,,,and,,, it's too short for NHRA to bring in "the show" and ruin it.

Why do I not care for the MM? I raced from 1958 to about 1969 and never saw a fuel car that looks anything like todays "nostalgia cars". I hate that high chair look opf todays cars. Besides, you ain't supposed to SEE where your going. Now, do not get me wrong. Those cars are safer, sweet and run like a bat out of hell,,,but they ain't nostalgia cars by any strech. Back in the real begining of fuel cars there were hemis, Chevys, Olds, Ponys, Buicks, Fords, Lincolns and others. All cast iron, wheel bases around 120 to 140 max and hell to drive. I loved it.

The last national event I attended was back around 2008. All the cars were indentical except for paint, all ran almost the exact same and all costs about a fraking zillion dollars. I wasn't interested.

JMO

22. I love it all I'll be at Pomona and watch the pro teams run if I can. I dont miss either race the CHHR is more hot rod'ish than the MM but both have all the same things going on just more or less at both events.

23. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

X2, I got pretty beat up when I dissed the high chair look on the Bangshift live coverage. Nostalgia, my ass.