Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hundley & Boggs AA/FD dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3 Deuces, Mar 23, 2011.

1. 3 Deuces

3 Deuces

edited ... BECAUSE ... Marty wants to post his own ... if he can figure out how :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. Cool.....keep the progress shots coming

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

COOL ...
    I have been to Hortons Race Car shop many times and he is a great fabricator. Many here may not know that J.Ed Horton campaigned a Top Fuel car himself years ago and was very QUICK and sucessful.

Keep the updates coming.

4. Can we see a picture of the original fueler for reference? Nitro. MMMMMMMMMM!

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

6. frank spittle

frank spittle

I remember that car fondly. They raced it frequently in the Charlotte area in the 60s. One time before a race they displayed it at a service station I worked at I believe around '66. Both were super nice guys. One was at J. Ed's Bar-b-que last fall. It was the first time I had talked to him in 40 years.

As big a racing mecca as Charlotte was in the '60s not one single AA/FD was built there in that decade. Charles John had a Jr. Fueler though.

7. hillbilly on nitro

hillbilly on nitro
    from USA

What year version is this one? I bought one from them in 1972,seemed longer than yours.

8. dmc3113

dmc3113

This is a 1967(?)188" wb car. This chassis and another identicle chassis were deilvered at the same time. The other chassis was owned by Lowery Simpson also from Charleston, WV. The H & B car was an AHRA world champ around 68 or 69. There is a picture showing the car at Green Valley Texas posted here on the hamb, I'll see if I can find it. Joe Boggs still lives in Charleston, WV and Jim hundley died several years ago.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  9. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

[​IMG]

[SIZE=-1]The Hundley & Boggs digger built around a 'home-made' Kellison chassis kit. I believe it may have been the 1967 AHRA World Championship in Green Valley, TX that they won. Regardless of year, what a great looking FED. [/SIZE]

10. dmc3113

dmc3113

The chassis was a welded chassis according to Horton, as was the Lowery Simpson chassis delivered at the same time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  11. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

From what some of the old timers have told me, they considered the Kellisons a kit car and due to that considered by some to be "Home Made". The slip joint chassis did come welded. They called the Kellisons the "Springy Thingy". I guess that was the only thing left to call it since Woody had the "Flexi Flyer".

Here's the pictures you asked me to post Danny. Looking good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  12. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Here's some of the Kellison advertisements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Fuel55

Fuel55

Marty Harrison here--I'm the 'someone' who's building the Hundley & Boggs tribute cacklecar. J. Ed Horton & I have been planning this project since we traveled cross-country to Bakersfield in October '08. Fact is, I've wanted to build this car ever since my first visit to Jim Hundley & Joe Boggs' race shop in Charleston, WV in the spring of 1968 when I was 12.

Talk about 'viral!' I've taken hundreds of photos of this build since it went on the jig in early February. I'm working on a website & blog and had every intention to start an official H.A.M.B. thread on April Fools Day. I've sent a couple of email updates with photos to guys in WV to keep Joe informed. I guess you guys beat me to it.

My objectives for this project is to honor Joe and the memories of Jim Hundley and Tom Rent (H&B crew member & my neighbor) and showcase the incredible craftmanship of my pal J. Ed Horton. BTW, Horton Race Cars has merged with Hartman Machine Works and Richard Hartman has been instrumental in this project. It's hard to beat realizing a life-long dream with the help of good friends.

One last thing. I've spent countless hours scouring the Internet for photos of the car and contacting photographers for licensing and/or permission to use their photos. Being a musician and music products designer and manufacturer, I'm very sensitive to copyright and intellectual property rights. We're still actively seeking photos and anecdotal accounts of the Hundley & Boggs team and car. If you have some, please contact me and I'll make sure your content is credited and protected.

Stand by for news. I look forward to hearing from you.

Marty Harrison
    [email protected]

14. I have a set of those early Cragar rotors like in the advertisement. They are early Ford bolt pattern with the option for redrilling to another pattern I think. They are like brand new. No wear. Is that was originally used on that dragster? I don't have the Airheart disc brakes though. I see you have something already. Just don't see your rotor hats. PM me if you need them for your project. I think this dragster is cool and should have the right parts.

15. Fuel55

Fuel55

Curbspeed- Thanks for the heads-up regarding the brakes. I'll forward this to J. Ed. We're trying to stay as true to the original specs of car as possible. We do have an original Girling master cylinder on board. Truth is most of the guys that were involved with the car have either passed away or don't have accurate memories of the nitty-gritty details. Sometimes it's a compromise of detail vs. safety.

BTW, I tried posting some current photos of the project in my earlier post but the resolution was much too high. I'll 'dumb them down' and repost again soon.

Marty

16. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Hey Marty,

Glad to see you building this FED. I am in the middle of restoring a 150"" Kellison myself. Where did you guys get the fiberglass body from? I have been searching for a Kellison dragster body, but no luck yet.

[​IMG]

17. Marty, I decided to go out to the lab and take a few pictures of what I got. Here are the period perfect brake rotors for that project. Light surface rust from hanging in the rafters for a while that will clean up with a little loving. No pitting of any consequence. As you can see they have another set of wheel stud bosses so it can be drilled to another size if needed. Let me know if you guys need them for the project. They are 5 on 5 1/2 bolt circle. They are for sale.

Attached Files:

18. Fuel55

Fuel55

Rebel 1- The body was a gift from our friend Buzz Gunter. It looks very similar to the chute pack body offered by King Chassis of St. Louis. Cen Pen Speed Shop in PA (slingshotdragsters.com) also offer a cool chute pack body. I looked for the last 2 years for a Kellison body but no dice. And as soon as we started cutting on the Buzz body a 'virgin' Kellison came up for auction on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Since we were already commited I didn't even follow it. I figured it would go for more than $2K anyway. It sold for under $800. Idiot! Lucky for us, our buddy Greg Porter is one of the best 'plastic surgeons' around. Our body will look like a Kellison when J. Ed & Greg finish it.

Curbside- Thanks for the photos of the rotors. Like I said, we'll discuss incorporating them in the project later this week. I'll PM you to get the price.

19. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

20. Fuel55

Fuel55

Hillbilly on Nitro-

Our build is a reproduction of the car H&B campaigned from '67-'69. The 188-in. WB Kellison car was their 1st dedicated AA/FD. The car you purchased in '72 was probably the last front engine dragster that Joe Boggs owned. It was built by the late Lester Guillory (checkout this website to view a similar Guillory-built Stephens & Venables AA/FD dragster beautifully restored by Rooman for Rip and Natalie Wiley: www.aafueler.com.) The team was actually Casto & Boggs at that point. Jim Hundley & Joe Boggs ended their partnership after the '69 season and Jim went on to drive Alan Starr's Starrliner AA/FD based in NC. I believe Bobby Hilton (H.A.M.B. member Tyler Hilton's dad) drove for Starr after Hundley retired.

Do you still have the car? If not, do you know if it's still out there? Hopefully, you & Joe can reconnect in Bowling Green this Summer. Joe has no recollection or details regarding the sell of any of his dragsters but there's a great story surrounding the sell and exchange of his last Funny Car...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  21. Sent a pm about the rotors. Had a computer virus that really screwed me up and the fact that I am down from reconstruction knee replacement. If you want them I can get them out to you though.

22. BIG PORT JIMMY 6

BIG PORT JIMMY 6

Great to hear it Cacklin' today.