Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Starliner build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Starliner352, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Guess I better get goin' here, carbuilder's ready to post pictures...

First, a quick bit about me. I posted on the intro board but just gave the standard: Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm a caraholic" speil. So... Been a Ford guy most all my life and have loved the '60 Starliner since I had to look up to read the name on one. Since then I've owned a few notables, a '66 T-Bird, a 68 Torino GT - nothin' you guys would be interested in.;)

I did a few shows with the Bird back in Wis. in the 80's, Iola mostly. After moving west I started road racing in '91 with a (WOT) Fiesta and got hooked. I still race today but it has got in the way getting back to the big American Iron I love.

I bought this Star in 1997, knowing they were getting scarce. It was driveable when I bought it, and even though it was rough, it got a LOT of attention at the one local show I took it to. Then the rear glass exploded one hot day and it got parked. I first started on the build in 2004, but an end-of-season crash of my racecar that year meant focusing on getting back to the track. Now, with a decent shop to get work done, I'm determined to get this thing done and on the road.

Pics in thread below

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. hvychvy

hvychvy

Pics no workie for me,love starliners though!!

3. Insert pics apparently above my skill level at the moment. (Earning my "FNG" status) :confused:

will figure it out shortly

4. [​IMG]

There... that's better. Note '79 Ranchero discs that I'm hoping to use.

Attached Files:

5. hvychvy

hvychvy

Kool,that's better.What are the plans?

6. The target is a mostly stock build, with modifications focused on safety and a little performance. Disc brakes, upgraded MC, altenator. 390 with GT cam and alum. intake going in.

The colors will be 1960 T-bird royal burgundy, and titanium on the roof. I had a few ideas on colors before I caught a glimpse of Mr. Foose's rendition and that led me to go bold.

I personally think the car was awesome the day it rolled out of the factory so I'm not looking change it's appearance that much. I'll improve the stance and probably go with some Torqthrusts, but that's all I've got planned now. Things could change, it's early and I see new outstanding ideas on this board every day.

7. graysgarage

graysgarage
    from central IL

Nice starliner project...here is a picture of mine....I have a bunch of extra starliner parts for sale. Pm me if you need anything

Attached Files:

8. i love starliners but more partial to the 61 i like your plan for it ..dont mess with a good thing its my philosophy also

my avatar is a pic of my 60 t-bird in very well worn original royal burgundy

ill be watching this thread

9. I too like Starliners. The 61 is my favorite.

10. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

Love Starliners! Keep it comin'.

11. carbuilder

carbuilder

We have started on the rust out repair on Dave's Starliner it dose have some rust issues & we will make the replacement panels. So we started by stripping the right rear Quarter to bare metal 2 maybe 3 paint jobs or repairs. Over all it is a decent car just some TLC & it will be like new.
    DSCN6809.JPG
    DSCN6802.JPG
    DSCN6836.JPG
    DSCN6865.JPG
    DSCN6866.JPG
    DSCN6867.JPG
    Now for some repair panels to be made they will be screwed or clecoed on for fit.
    DSCN6853.JPG
    DSCN6854.JPG
    DSCN6861.JPG
    DSCN6862.JPG
    DSCN6863.JPG
    DSCN6864.JPG
    DSCN6869.JPG
    The rusty stuff will be cut out & trimmed then the new will be butt tig welded in to fit, our goal is for as little filler as possible on all jobs . More to come.

12. billys54

billys54

13. carbuilder

carbuilder

More paint stripping & progress on the right rear quarter.
    DSCN6875.JPG

DSCN6873.JPG

DSCN6880.JPG

DSCN6892.JPG

DSCN6894.JPG

DSCN6885.JPG

DSCN6895.JPG
    More to come

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Lovin' it!

Starliners are HOT!!

15. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Good stuff, I like this thread

16. unibody

unibody

Starliners are great looking cars, they have the lines.I love them.

17. carbuilder

carbuilder

More progress on the Starliner the left door was a sculpture so we are looking for another. we can rebuild it but replacing is less expensive.
    DSCN6906.JPG
    At one time the right rocker was replaced & they just put the new on over the old, over time it rusted thru so we are replacing the rust out with new metal.
    DSCN6907.JPG
    DSCN6909.JPG
    DSCN6910.JPG
    DSCN6911.JPG
    More to come.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  18. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

On the lower rear qtrs., of that year........................Did they have a stainless, ribbed overlay???..........................If so, post a pic of one, pls. Sir..............I have a pair, hanging in my shop, and don't know what they fit.

Thanks.

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I want one( 60 Starliner).................

20. carbuilder

carbuilder

I will try & remember to shot a picture of the old rear lower ribbed trim Dave has new ones but we have the old ones for fit checking.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  21. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I have a set of washboards from my 60 galaxie. I'm pretty sure their the originals in perfect shape. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to run them.

22. Stealthcruiser: The factory "washboards" are aluminum. The '61 also had these panels but they are slightly different. I've seen repro panels for the 61 in stainless, but not for the 60. My guess is that you got 61's, but I wouldn't swear to it - best to take measurements.

23. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Thanks......................I'll get some pics and try to post them up, with a "What does this fit" title.

24. carbuilder

carbuilder

Here is a couple of pictures of one of the original rear side trim panel's.
    DSCN6921.JPG

DSCN6922.JPG

DSCN6923.JPG

25. carbuilder

carbuilder

A little more panel building today. Then we spent the rest of the day getting the body ready to lift off of the chassis. Dave is going to do the chassis while we work on the body.
    DSCN6916.JPG

DSCN6915.JPG
    A new 30 inch throat English wheel I built for a customer.
    DSCN6917.JPG
    The body will be off tomorrow then on to more panel work.

26. GAL60

GAL60

I'm glad im not the only Starliner owner that had to patch a lot of rust.

27. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

Love it! Thanks for sharing your progress.

I am doing a 60 Galaxie 2 door victoria roof- flat back window. I couldn't find a Starliner in my budget and the victoria was low mileage and complete for a great price and are even more rare, so I figured I will stand out even more at the cruises and shows.

I am going the upgrade 79 LTD front frame clip with the power disc brakes for safety and using the 302 and auto with a/c for reliability. Adding a 64 T-Bird interior and other little do-dads as well to make it a very mild custom.

Keep up the good work...it's inspiration for us all!

Larry

28. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Funny how a person's tastes change over time. My dad bought a new Starliner in 60. Drove it until 65 and then bought a new Galaxie XL. I was still a couple yrs away from having my drivers license, but dad asked me if I wanted him to keep the Starliner and I could have it when I turned 16.

Back then, I thought that was the ugliest damn car Ford ever made, so I told him I wasn't interested. He sold it to someone who just needed something to drive for $400. Now, every time I see a 60 Starliner I just want to bang my head against a wall for letting that one get away. I've looked at a couple of them over the last 10 yrs, both rough as a cob, and the sellers musta thought they had some reincarnation of a 32 3 window based on their asking prices.

29. Spooky

Spooky

B E A U -tiful!
    Love Starliners. Looking forward to this build.

30. carbuilder

carbuilder

I meant to put these in before the replacement panel pictures, just some general rust thru & a crease to repair. We are making all the replacement panels due to lack of ability to get & the lack of quality in the fit on what few are available. I did find a couple of panels but the time it takes us to build them is fewer $$ then buying the replacements paying shipping then having to rework them to fit correctly.
    DSCN6902.JPG

DSCN6903.JPG
    More to come.