Register now to get rid of these ads!

'80-'85 Seville rear disc e-brake adjust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36tbird, Mar 21, 2011.

1. 36tbird

36tbird

Damn, I shoulda stuck with regular drums on my 8" Ford rear, but I thought it would be neat to try the early '80's Cadillac rear disc with the built in emergency brake conversion. Now, I'm invested so let me try to get them to work. My problem is getting the e-brake adjusted on these things. I've researched the CPP website and others and have followed their instructions to do this chore. The driver's side seems to be working OK as I got the recommended 1/4" off the stop engagement of the e-brake. But, on the passenger side, I follow all the same procedures and get it set up. But, after that when the e-brake is used, which is the self adjusting feature, the passenger side seems to back off and get looser versus self adjusting to get tighter. Any ideas or experiences from brake gurus who have dealt with such a problem?

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I dunno what's wrong. My '56 F-100 has a '77 Seville disc rear. The main cable to the lever is stuck, but if I tug on the cables at the calipers they function like they are supposed to. I just need to stop being lazy and replace the main cable.

3. two left side calipers ??

4. deto

deto

i have them on my car and they're nothing but a pain in the ass. Make sure you have a right and left caliper and the correct arm on the caliper for the e brake.

5. 36tbird

36tbird

Having two of one side crossed my mind because of the way the self adjuster is acting. However, aren't they idiot proof as far as mounting? That is, the bleed valves have to be to the top and I think that there is just one hole tapped in the calipers for bolting on the e-brake spring mount. So, to meet those parameters, they can only go to one side or the other.

So, is it possible that the rebuilders installed the wrong side self adjuster? I'm assuming that there is some sort of ratchet assembly in those things that is side specific.

6. Stache

Stache

I worked for a caddy dealer in 78-79. I remember those adj. to be a real pain. You may have two left side pistons in the cali. If I remember correctly the piston in the cali. ratchet. for the e- brake. I could be wrong but it's something to check out. Van

7. 36tbird

36tbird

Well, I found a good article on the innards of these calipers, Seville rear calipers rebuild.

So, there is a RH or LH thread actuator screw in these things that I guess could have been mixed up during a rebuild. I may have to pull this thing off and get another rebuilt unit. Thanks for the replies.