Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dare to be different - 63 Scout

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxxon, Dec 15, 2008.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Wow that Prefect is gonna be cool! Looking forward to the thread.

els likes this.
  2. Saxxon

Saxxon

Well the engine choice for the Prefect has been settled.

We got a tip on a dirt track racer selling off a spare. It's a 358 sbc with 12.5-1, forged pistons, H beam rods and a steel crank. It has Dart Iron Eagle heads, a full roller valve train (1.5 intake 1.6 exhaust) with a .680 roller cam and a rev kit. It came with a build sheet, cam card and dyno numbers showing 509 hp and 497 torque. (Circle track guys love torque off the corners). It has a port matched intake, a current SFI dampener and all the sheetmetal. Just needs a carb (Or a set of Hilborns) and an ignition and it's complete.

We talked with the builder and the shop that did the dyno runs and they both gave the engine the thumbs up. The engine only has dyno time and has been sitting in the race trailer for the last year. We endo-scoped it (Little camera for tight places) and pulled the valve covers. Everything looks clean and very fresh. It's so nice we'll probably not tear it down and will run it as-is. Especially with the feedback from the dyno folks.

As you can see it's almost exactly what we were going to build in the first place. So for $3,000 it's ours. I'm sure we got it for less than 1/2 what it cost to build. It's also far less than we would have spent to update the 4 bolt blocks we have at the shop. The roller cam and valve train alone is $1,000 and the stroker kit we were looking at was $1,500. Throw in block prep and all the misc stuff and we're well past $3K just for the shortblock.

We can't wait to get the car to the shop and start cutting it up.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
    els likes this.
  3. Saxxon

Saxxon

Judging by the view count, some folks have actually cruised by to see if there have been any updates. Well.. after a long winter here is the latest. Unfortunately the timing is a bit off as much of the update is covered under the masking paper.

I've started the body work on the truck. To save a few bucks we are doing it in house rather than sending it out, at least for the major creases. We'll send it out for the final color, likely a metallic red with a cream top. In the mean time I have painted the roll cage with chassis gaurd and have started to clean up the ugly spots throughout the truck. Rather than spending a lot of time cleaning up the inside of the box I plan on rock gaurding the whole thing and be done with it. It'll look really good contrasting with the body color as well as the aluminum box floor. Plus it covers up a lot of flaws.

The front end was de-chromed and was sent out to be powder coated. We got it back yesterday. We went with the chrome color and it turned out great. Maybe too good as I may have to defend myself at tech again. (No chrome suspension parts). I installed the axle today and added a beefed up tie rod. I have to sort out a rod end for my cross steering before I can complete the istallation.

I also chromed the rear valance panel and installed charging posts. My postioning of the battery box looks great but it is too far into the middle and makes adding a charger difficult.

I have installed the Pro-Systems carb but haven't test fired it yet. I also updated to 3" collectors (14" long) and added a better crankcase evac system. This gives me a chance to toss out the heater hose I was using for the evac and add in some 1/2" high pressure hose. (looks tons better... pictures when I'm done)

I am damaging the front sheet metal by taking it off and putting it on so I fabbed up some support braces. I was also in a quandry about what to do for a grill. So last week I banged together an aluminum insert and planned to drill a series of holes in it. Well I pretty much ruined all my hard work trying to use a dull hole saw and a drill press that needed new belts. In the end I am using my hand hammered grill as a template and have sent it out to get cut and made properly. It'll look killer when done. (Pictures when it's in... I promise). To help with my confounding inability to shift an automatic I have updated the tach and added a shift light. I also ordered in the trans brake button and will have that hooked up for the coming season.

That's it for now. More pictures as the masking paper comes off and we start cleaning it all up. The itch is back and I'm really like how the truck is coming together. High 10's here I come.

(Sorry for the crappy pictures)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    els likes this.
  4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Good to see one of my favorite threads, featuring one of my favorite cars, still going strong. Looking forward to reading about your 10 second adventures this season. Hopefully, I'll have some 9s to brag about...
    Keep up the good work!

els likes this.
  5. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

havent seen that before, i like different and thats different! good job!

els likes this.
  6. Saxxon

Saxxon

The World of Wheels car show is at the end of the month and they are planning to have a display for race cars of the 50's, 60's and 70's. Keeping with that thought and with the history of the Scout, they have agreed to include my little truck in the display. That's the good news. The bad news is I now only have 3 weeks to get it into some semblance of show shape and that includes losing one of those weeks while I take a break in Mexico.

The original plan was to leave the truck in primer for the season but with the World of Wheels invite and another little car show at the end of April, I've decided to try and get some color on it. It might be a little premature and considering my luck with last minute decisions and tight timelines, I might be pushing my luck more than a bit, but what the hell...

I'm going with a Chrysler dark red metalic with an off white top. It'll be a simple and durable enamal. Something I can fix and match as I subject the truck to the rigors of the track. I'm hoping to have the body work done this week and in the spray booth next week while I'm away in Mexico. That will give me 2 weeks after I get back to rock gaurd the bed, paint the door jambs and wells and generally put the truck back together.

Story as it happens
    Pictures as I take them

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    els likes this.
  7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Here is the new grill insert. What do you think??? Bad ass enough for y'all ?? I was giggling for 10 minutes when I put it in. It'll sit a bit deeper in the grill opening when it's installed for real. Now I need to find some Mooneyes decals for the bottom corners

A few of you have asked if I plan to hang a Moon tank off the front. I'm all for the complete gasser look but I don't think I'm going to go that route but I'm seriously keeping an eye out for a chute to hang off the back.

As you can see the truck is getting some cosmetic attention. The big problem is the roof as it was pretty mashed. I've been playing with the heat / fast cool technique to get it into some form of it's original shape and to get rid of the oil canning in the metal. So far it's been going "ok" but I'm a far cry from a body guy and it's still a long way away from where I want it. I'm committed to this roof so I hope I can get it sorted out before the date with the paint booth next week.

I managed to find a fiberglass hood for the Scout but it's built to survive off-roading abuse so it wieghs 70 pounds. That's no saving from the stock hood so until I find a lighter replacement the front will remain open to the elements.

The front end is back together and the truck is back on all 4's again. I've added a stronger tie rod and upgraded the rod ends throughout.

More to come once I get it back from paint and start re-assembly

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  8. Saxxon

Saxxon

Just when you think you have a unique idea, it gets crowded. This makes 3 drag Scouts, that I know of, and there are at least 3 guys on this board talking about building one. It makes me wonder how many others are lurking out there. I think if we can get them all to show up at the same time we have the start of a Farm Equipment Eliminator. It would have to be a Heads up show with prizes for low ET and best wheel stand. Maybe we can expand it to include early Bronco's and pre 65 Jeeps. Maybe a couple of super mod tractor pullers with slicks...

The super clean yellow Scout nicknamed "Short Bus" runs a full roller 540 BBC and they tell me a best of 10.43 The wild purple one is turning 6.88 in the 1/8 (approx 10.60's in the 1/4) So it looks like I will have to step it up a ton to keep up. Hopefully the trans brake and new carb will keep me within an arm's length. I may have to move up the plan for the roller cam.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    els likes this.
  9. Saxxon

Saxxon

Back from paint - The Good and The Bad

Last we left the Scout it was being prepped for the paint shop. I was in Mexico when the shop guy I contracted to do the bodywork tells me that he was done and the Scout was delivered to the Bodyshop 2 days early. Prior to Mexico I had confirmed the color and the workorder with the bodyshop. 3 times I mention the truck will be the focal point for a display at the car show at the end of this month. I am assurred there would be no problems and the truck will be ready and more than presentable. I leave with a strong sence of confidence.

While in Mexico we add the time and effort to fix the roof properly to the agreement. Since the truck is at the shop 2 days early, the shop does not ammend their completion date.

It should be noted at this time that I am VERY aware that I am building a race car and not a show car.

The Good:

The truck was completed on time and inital impressions are "Wow". The color choice was great and from 10 feet the truck really pops. The roof repair on the top is awesome. Not only did they put both of the contours back in but they made it rigid and not likely to oil-can and crack. Very happy with the overall impression and the roof repair. (Note my use of the word "impression")

The Bad: (Not a lot of pictures here as I couldn't get good images)

Upon closer inspection it appears that the quality of the prep and the final paint is much closer to a back yard splash job than it is to a presentable product for a car show, or even a race car for that matter. The masking was obviously done very poorly and and overall the effort reflects a general lack of "I give a shit". The body work is incomplete and just plain shitty and entire sections were missed but they shot paint over it anyway. I have no idea what that white stuff is streaking the bottom edges. It comes off easily enough but is this the way you deliver it back to a customer??? I can only assume that the painter has a back as bad as mine as he simply did not bend over and spray the bottom edges of the truck. It's a lot worse than it looks in the picture. The back edge of the roof is not finished and there are runs and streaks across the bottom edge. We also found 3 large runs on the tailgate and a red smudge on the white roof (picture). Once we removed the front end and flipped it over, we found sections they were not painted at all. Once again I have to assume the painter's apparent inability to bend the F&^% over, had a lot to do with the results. There is over spray almost everywhere on the suspension. My fuel lines and fittings were completely covered as were the frame rails. (Pictures - One shows partial cleaning). There is epoxy primer / sealer overspray on the aluminum in the bed and the backs of my tires and brakes are covered red. Most of it is coming off with some hard work and solvent but that's not the point. Besides the over spray they rolled tape up onto a lip that was to be painted. Simple carelessness. Now I have a 6 inch wedge of unpainted lip on a highly visible area. While they repaired the roof contours, they completely missed large sections of the drip rails. Not only were they not repaired as agreed, they were not painted properly.

As I mentioned, I fully realize this is not a show car but these results suck. We would have been better off shooting it ourselves in a homemade paint booth in the shop. I am simply sick over this. Unfortunately I can't do much at this time as I have a commitment to get the truck to the show Thursday morning and I have a ton to do to get it ready before then.

Moving Forward:

So today, 4 of us spent the day trying to fix, clean or paint what we could. This included the installation the new grill insert (Thanks Larry) and the installation of the new water pump finally replacing the Kijiji purchase that was being held together with form-a-gasket. At this time we also found that they had pretty much trashed my roll cage paint with tape and overspray and it will all have to be redone.

Tomorrow and this week I need to prep the box and spray the box liner, clean and repaint the rollcage and interior and the re-assmble the truck. Lots to do with not a lot of time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
    els likes this.
  10. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I wish I lived near you,I would love to see this in person. Great project.

Jon

els likes this.
  11. oldy57

oldy57

I hope you get it done for the show this weekend. I will be there Saturday most of the day. See you there.

els likes this.
  12. Saxxon

Saxxon

Things are a lot better today. I had a talk with the manager of the body shop and he agreed to fix everything. Unfortunately he did not show up as promised to look at the concerns but I'm going to hold him to his word. Once we are done with the show this weekend it's going directly to the body shop.

The overspray on the frame and suspension has been cleaned up (4 hours) and we rock gaurded the box. Funny how it takes you 2 hours to mask and paper it and 10 minutes to spray it. I'm letting it dry overnight and will add a second coat tomorrow. I've also got the rad and body support assembly back in and ready for the front sheetmetal. I brushed on a coat of Tremclad to the inside of the front fenders. It was a hoot finding remnants of 3 generations of masking tape. Some of which was from the original build and paint. (1971??). The Temclad went on really well and looks decent.

Tomorrow I will be finishing the box with a second application of rock gaurd and then my full attention will on cleaning and repainting the roll cage and interior. I'm hoping it will dry fast enough that I can start reassembling the interior and reinstalling the wind shield and windows. If possible I want to leave Wednesday for final clean and prep and hopefully actually getting it running. It's much easier to drive into a trailer than trying to push it.

I'm much more optomistic about the show. The paint flaws will still very visible but I'm hoping they will be overshadowed by the big picture. I have a show board ready (Looks great) and will have the original 1973 Hot Rod Yearbook article mounted for display. And a second copy plaque mounted for my bar.

I'm waiting for the better lights and camera equipment at the show for pictures. Be patient. The overall look is worth the wait.

Cheers

March 22: Quick update:

The shop manager came in to see the truck this morning. This is the first time he has seen the finished product. I have to admit, his reaction was genuine disappointment and concern. He looked absolutely sick when we walked him through the flaws and issues. He offered to fix the tailgate immediately but we declined. We had planned to display the truck with it open so the flaws wouldn' be seen anyway.

My brother summed it up when he asked the guy: Is this the kind of work you would want to display the shop's sign beside? The answer was a pretty solid "No, no I wouldn't". In the end he confirmed (again) that they would repair the work.

In a polite non threatening manner I indicated that I have begun to document the issue but I am pleased that he fulfilled his promise to swung by and have a look. I made sure he understood that once we delivered the truck back to them that this was their one chance to correct the problem. And... if it wasn't done to my satisfaction, that the issue would escelated.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    els likes this.
  13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Neat build an nice updates. I hope the body shop makes good, otherwise at the show you could point out the workmanship with some nice signage on the shop that did the work.:(:(:(

els likes this.
  14. Saxxon

Saxxon

This was exactly what I "suggested" I would do when the owner and I had words. I mentioned I would have absolutely no issues telling anyone who would ask who did the work and let those listening make their own opinion. When the owner told me I couldn't do that, I mentioned I can say anything I want as long as it's true. In fact I could post a billboard or take out an ad to that effect. That actually got him to think for 5 seconds and calm down a bit.

I told the guy he missed a glorious opportunity to highlight his shop/work on a vehicle that will get more than it's share of attention in the primary display at the biggest indoor car event of the year.

I wasn't looking for perfection, just good basic work and presentable results. What I got was an effort that reflected a shop crew who didn't give a shit and an owner that has no pride in his establishment.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    els likes this.
  15. octobeak

octobeak

man, that truck is knarly, not what id ever expect to do with it... but it looks so right

els likes this.
  16. Saxxon

Saxxon

After a 5 day thrash we got-er done for the show. Besides the fact the paint is crap, the overall look is great. From 10 feet it looks like a $100. The Metallic red really pops in the sunlight. luckily the lights at the show are very forgiving. So far, a few of the oldtimers have given me a lot of favorable comments. I'm really looking forward to showing it off all weekend. This build has come a long way in 2 1/2 years. (Sorry for the bad pics... just a little tired)

By the way, this is NOT how I would recommend anyone to transport their Jr. Dragster. But it worked for a short hall and the car was well secured.

I'm part of a nostalgic drag racing display sponsored by Castrol. I'm parked beside a "real" 1971 Satelite funny car rumored to be the "Kamikazi" car that was campaigned in the early 70's quite extensively. It's way too cool. So much so that I'm sure it will steal my thunder all weekend. :). When I left the other cars in the display had not yet arrived. Apparently there is a FED and an old school altered coming as well as a 51 chevy gasser from back in the day. I'll post pics once I see them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
    els likes this.
  17. Saxxon

Saxxon

So the 2011 Winnipeg World of Wheels is history for another year and I have to say it was worth the thrash to get the Scout to the show. The people I met and displayed with were absolutely awesome. Jim and Ken, who brought the 71 Satelite FC handed out over 250 Hotwheels to the kids at their own expense and were the best people to represent. Unfortunately the 51 Chevy gasser was a no-show. A highlight for me was getting a chance to sit in the FC with the body down. Thank God I was too wide for the cage otherwise I'm sure I would have been looking for an old FC as my next project.

I talked to a couple of dozen old timers who remembered the Scout from back in the day.
    They were all pretty happy with the rebuild, even if it wasn't a restoration. Except one guy who was VERY angry that I "ruined" the Elephant Hunter and that it didn't have a Hemi. I actually had to walk away from this guy. Everyone was in agreement that the original version was fast and a near-death experience most of the time. One of the guys I talked to came back Sunday and gave me a picture of the Scout from back in 1972. I'll post it as soon as I scan it and clean it up.

The Scout got a lot of attention and it was awarded with a Best in Class for the Street Machine - Truck class (Not sure what part of it is "street" but what the hell, I did drive it out of the show afterwards). It also received a special interest award and recognition for being part of the Castrol display. The judging was Friday night but Saturday morning 2 of the ISCA judges came through for a closer look. I gave them the 10 minute tour and they thought the Scout was very cool. I was later approached by a writer for the Canadian Drag Racing online magazine to do a feature as well as a feature for the Auto Clubs of Canada and the Gimli Dragway website.

I got to shake hands with Gene Winfield and later he wandered by and took a few pictures. (I think he took pictures of everything but again, what the hell). Ashley Force Hood was there and she signed my niece's helmet and show board. She was exceptionally gratious and accomodating. She took time with everyone, especially the Jr. Dragster racers. One of the thank-you items I got for being in the Castrol display was a t-shirt signed by Ashley AND John Force. I'm pretty sure that one is getting framed.

All in all the weekend was a huge success and it took until this afternoon before my swollen head shrunk back to normal. I've included a couple of better quality pics of the truck. One even includes me in it. Something I rarely allow to happen. I'm not the tallest guy you'll meet (5'7") so the picture gives you a good idea just how small this little Monster is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    els likes this.
  18. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The Scout looks great. Wish I could have made it up there to check out the show. Good Luck at the drags this summer.

els likes this.
  19. oldy57

oldy57

Dave
    It was great talking to you on Saturday. The Scout looks great even with the bad paint. I wouldn't have known about the paint if I didn't know. I came back at least a half dozen time to look at it. One of my top cars of the show. Now to see at the drags this summer. Hope to see you at Rodaramma.

els likes this.
  20. Saxxon

Saxxon

As promised, here is the Scout as it looked back in the day.

This was taken at the old Bison Dragway around 1972. I also included a previously posted picture of it making a pass at the same dragstrip around the same time. You'll note that Jim would remove the roof when racing. The Scout never had a hood at anytime. Street or strip.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  21. ahnuld

ahnuld
    from canada

pretty cool truck, i liked it and met someone to line up against at Gimli. And very partial to the bodystyle. Dan

els likes this.
  22. Saxxon

Saxxon

Found yet another Binder enthusiast. I stole the image from a Youtube video Drag Racing in the 60's - US Nationals Part 2. I almost fell out of my chair when this showed up. And here I thought I was just wasting time.

This cool little long roof was running C/A. I highly doubt it has retained an IH running gear. Wish there was more on this truck. Anyone out there remember it from back in the day??

Makes you wonder where some of these old time race cars are today, or if they even survived.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
    els likes this.
  23. Saxxon

Saxxon

This is where I rant about the body shop... again !!

To review, to make the truck presentable for the World of Wheels car show, we hurried the body work and sent the truck for paint to a highly recommended shop. The paint shop had it 4 days longer than expected and basically did a bad job. Overall the show was a success. The truck looked great from 10 feet and the lights were really forgiving. However, a few good body guys saw the issues immediately and it really bugged me the issues were there. I easily could have left the bad spots and had a lot of fun with it but that wouldn't sit well with me. I've invested too much time and effort (and $$$) to let a shop get away with a half assed job.

Initial legal advice I have received stated that I should give the shop a chance to correct the issues. So back it goes.

The agreement was to bring the truck back the day after the show. This quickly changed to 2 days after because the manager was on vacation and the owner of the shop was more comfortable having him there when the truck arrived. I was Ok with that except... 2 days turned to 3 then the following Monday, then the next day after that.

Once we got it there we spent 1/2 an hour with the Manager confirming what needs to be done. At the same time, since they were painting most of it anyway, I asked for them to paint the door jambs and edges as well as look at fixing a bent driver door. I was willing to pay for this. The estimate was 3 to 4 days for everything including the extras. I made it very clear that I needed the truck no later than Monday April 25. (Today is April 26) This was important as I am committed to a show at the end of this week. It would have also given me a chance to put in some polished aluminum on the firewall.

Here is where the rant starts. After 7 working days, hearing nothing, I called them. It turns out they did nothing since it arrived because their body guy says it needed new hinge pins and they weren't going to paint anything until the pins are changed. By then it was too late to get them in on time and too late to do them right since removing them usually takes heating them with a torch which would ruin the paint on the door.

Ok... Fine !! .... Don't bother doing the door pins.

I have called every day since (at their direction). Last Thursday they said it would be ready Monday. Monday it was day end Tuesday. Today they tell me Wednesday morning as they are still "working on stuff". To be honest this worked ok for me and picking it up in the morning still gave me time to prep (barely).

At this time they tell me they didn't paint the door jambs (?) as it would have caused too much of a mess on the windows and the interior. When I asked about masking off everything they responded with some lame excuse that it would take too long and it would still result in overspray on the windows (?) and in the interior (??) and " a lot of other places" (???). I am absolutely lost for words and mentioned that any competent shop could be able to mask properly and finish the job as requested. They agreed and said they could do it, but it wouldn't be completed for another 3 days (????) they reminded me that was too late for the show this weekend. And - Oh, By the way, they still wouldn't guarantee there wouldn't be overspray (?????)... Ultimately they tell me they don't want to do it because it would be too difficult to match the paint and it really should have been done at the initial painting.

Ok... (long pause/heavy sigh)... Fine !! ... Don't paint the jambs....

By now I'm a controlled furious!! I summarized it by saying that they have had it for 13 working days on an initial estimate of 3-4 and I'm getting less than I asked. On top of that they are leaving me with 2 days to prep for the show. They mentioned the pin issue as a delay and I almost lose it, I tell them it's their responsibility to CONTACT ME with issue like this as soon as it's identified rather than let it sit.

I haven't seen the truck yet and I'm absolutely terrified it will still be a shitty job and likely with more or different issues. I'm even more terrified that their lack of masking skills will leave an overspray disaster.

I know this was not a priority for them and I'm sure they just splashed the repairs. I am also sure that any perceived antagonism I may have caused simply dropped the quality of work even more.

It kills me that they have the truck hostage and have me over a barrel.

I pick it up in the morning. God help them all if it's less than acceptable.

I'll update when I see it.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    els likes this.
  24. ahnuld

ahnuld
    from canada

next time i'll help you paint it. And what shop doesn't know how to mask, i have had my 4 year old do it, no joke. if you make the show i am going to check it out saturday morning when it opens, still getting my car ready, almost there. Dan

els likes this.
  25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The word needs to be put on how crappy the "highly recommended shop" work is. If they do this on a regular basis then hopefully the word will get around. Either they step up to the plate and live up up the "highly recommended" part or fix Toyotas. Hope your paint job isn't too badly hosed.

els likes this.
  26. Saxxon

Saxxon

First rule of a public forum: Any person or persons you make comments about may be reading it.

This being said, it appears the owner of the shop has been reading the comments or has been advised as to what is being said about his shop and the quality of the work being done.

To this I say... Welcome to the H.A.M.B.
    Please feel free to register and make your own comments regarding the issues. (Or PM me, Or Call me... whatever works) I'm sure we would all love to hear your side of things.

Here's the deal.
    I picked up the Scout this morning and found that only a couple of the issues I thought we had an agreement on were addressed.
    > The fixes that were done, were done well, with one exception. (see my no comment position below)
    > The truck was cleaned and there was no indication of overspray. For this I am pleased and made a point of saying so.
    > I was also pleased that they took the time to remove my Lexan windows. This is a tedious time consuming task that sees you removing about a hundred bolts. They took the time to position the windows in the truck and the bolts in a container. (Thank you).
    > Before I left one of the shop workers came over with my laminated Hot Rod article I will use at the shows and returned it to me. I can only assume I left it in the cab and they removed it to keep it from getting damaged. Again... thank you.

As for the rest of the issues I will refrain from comment until I can get a few opinions and understand my options. (read whatever you want into that, you're probably right)

I will say it came out in the discussion I had with the Manager this morning that my comments here may have influence the decision to not repair the Scout as discussed and possibly (in my opinion) to delay / inconvenience me as long as possible.

I challenged the manager to point out anything I have stated here that was incorrect. I made it very clear that I have never mentioned the shop's name or the owner's name. In fairness, he admitted he hasn't read my comments. (The owner has read them or at least has been advised of them)

As for this weekend, I will fulfill my to commitment to have the Scout be at the Rodaramma as part of the Manitoba Drag Racers Association club display. It will look good (from 10 feet) and again, the simple fact the shop took the time to clean it up was a huge help.

I spent the rest of today painting the door jambs (black) and my ugly firewall (also black). Both turned out really well. I don't know my ass from a masking tape roll but I managed to complete the door jambs and door edges in about an hour with NO OVERSPRAY.... On Anything !!

We also spent an hour adjusting the new Pro Systems carb. A quick dry hop in the parking lot showed no bog at all and the throttle response is crip and violent.

During the carb adjustment the truck sat idling for 20 minutes. The temp gauge went to 178 and stayed there the entire time. After building a V8 Vega with all their cooling issues I am more than happy with the Scout's cooling system.

We also discovered that my brand new alternator isn't charging so we will change that out in the morning. After that I will put the windows back in and clean some of the big ugly spots on the frame and in the cab. I'll wait until we are unloaded at the show to finish the prep. (open trailer)

That's it for now.

More as it happens
    Pictures as I take them

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    els likes this.
  27. Saxxon, saw this a couple months ago at our big nostalgia race and it reminded me of this thread.
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sometimes people get complacent and things slip, and a little bit of heat helps get them back on track. I'm guilty of that myself. Hope the guy signs on and has something to tell us.

els likes this.
  29. Saxxon

Saxxon

Thanks man. Cool picture

I've had an email exchange with this guy, he's pretty cool. He's been racing the "Short bus" for years with a 383 sbc and running mid 11's. He decided to put his Super gas Chevelle back on the street so the 383 went in and the 540 bbc from the Chevelle went into the Scout. His video has it billed as the world's fastest Scout. At the moment, with it running 10.40's I'm not disputing it.

Thanks again
    Cheers

els likes this.
  30. Saxxon

Saxxon

Spent the day finishing the thrash. Managed to get everything we planned to do completed in good time and then took some time to make my charging posts functional. This will make between rouind maintenance a LOT easier. I even had time to test some new systems out in the parking lot. My shift light trans brake and the 2 step rev limiter all worked as hoped. The Scout pulled the left front wheel - twice - on a 3000 rpm launch on a gravelly/dusty parking lot. Pretty pumped up about hammering it at the track.

Unloading at the show was fun. The event is held in a double hocky rink complex. The concrete floor and walls make for great acoustics. The Scout got everyone's attention coming in. The highlight didn't last long as my DRAM display pals came in soon after. In about an hour I was flanked by a tube frame 90's Vette (595 BBC 960 hp), a tube frame 70 Camaro (605 bbc w 12-71 on alcohol) and a center steer 30 Model A (468 bbc w 8-71 Hi-Helix on alcohol) which actually drove in. By then I had this huge feeling of inadequacy with my little single carb 377.

I'll post pictures from the show. It's shaping up to be a good one.

Cheers

More as it happens
    Pictures as I take them

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    els likes this.