Register now to get rid of these ads!

i made a 3 2bbl intake for a 302. what do ya think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custom53, Mar 20, 2011.

1. custom53

custom53

i made this but i am not too sure how well it will work. i used a fuel injected mustang lower intake and made the top part. it has 3 eab carbs. i dont know if it should have a progressive linkage or if i should connect them all together. any input will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I like it, your thinking like a grass roots rodder. You gotta tell us how it worked. Gary

3. custom53

custom53

i dont have a motor to try it in. the car is along way from being on the road.

4. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

good thinking, woulda never thought to use that lower half of the later intake for a manifold without the fuelie..........cool......

5. ScottV

ScottV

I like it what a great idea, not to mention you are gonna have some folks scratchin' their heads !!!

6. If its gonna be a cruiser go progressive. (plus its adjustable!!!!!hint)
    If your gonna drive it like you stole it, then go straight linkage..

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I seen a similar intake at a swapmeet a few weeks ago thought it would be a good starting point. same with some of the GM fuel injection intakes. nice job.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Huh....I have a 302 and want multiple carbs..... Huh.

9. There was a post about this very thing on the HAMB awhile back... I can't find it though.

Let us know how it works!

JK

10. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

good work man. very creative.

11. slepe67

slepe67

not to seem like I'm stealing your thunder, but I wondered the same thing before I junked out all my EFI stuff.

Kudos! Now run it and tell us how it works! :)

12. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Good idea. Lower manifolds are available pretty easy. If it works good build another box and jazz it up a bit. Roll some beads or something in it to give it some character. However still a good idea.

13. hartmen

hartmen
    BANNED

ive thought about doing this before but didnt had the tools to do it. now ive got the tools this has got me thinkn! did you use a tig or mig? aluminum welder? is the top half removable?

14. ScottV

ScottV

Hey I am curious, did you use a truck or Mustang lower ???

15. blueovalandy

blueovalandy

I like it! Keep in mind, multi-point fuel injection manifolds use smaller port sizing than comparable carburetor or throttle body manifolds. That is because they are designed to only flow air, not an air fuel mixture. The fuel is added close to the head so the manifold itself is only sized for the volume of air the the motor requires. You could port the manifold to get your volume up or you could just use it like it is. Three 94s should put out less than 500cfm, the stock manifold should be able to keep up with that.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good idea. The large common plenum should ensure an even mix for all cylinders. I'm curious though, if the volume of it might make it perform to some extent as a tunnel-ram would...making the engine run better at higher rpms than at lower speeds, especially on acceleration. Maybe not though...tunnel-rams are quite a bit bigger than what you've put together.

I agree that for good driveability, progressive linkage is the way to go.

17. One of our Aussie members down under did this some time back.I think he used two four barrels though.Don't remember if he used an open plenum,can't find the post.

18. 53mercury

53mercury

Progressive linkage and get rid of the front and rear chokes. Will be interesting to see how it performs. Mike

19. pugh433

pugh433
    from toledo

20. custom53

custom53

i used a mustang lower intake. the top still comes off. you can get to the bolts right throught the carb holes. i used a piece of 4" square and tig welded the caps on the ends. i welded the injector holes shut. so far i have about 15 bucks in it. i got everything from the scrap yard. i was thinking about making some tops and selling them in a kit form. all you would have to supply the carbs, lower intake, and linkage.

21. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

22. L79_Acadian

L79_Acadian
    from canada

Nice, but I bet the wife was pissed to see the dirty intake on top of her clothes washer
    Roger

23. special-k

special-k

My Dad has made a few with the truck intake with a couple different carb setups (2-2 barrels and 3-2 barrels) with the lower intake milled out to create a plenum and a flat plate to mount the carbs to. They seem to have quite a bit of spitback. He milled one with two seperate plenums with similar results. These were on a mid 90's truck motor that was originally fuel injected. In his case it was a failure but he only ran them on a test stand. Never down the road so it could have been better than it seemed. His friend runs one with 3 97's but only runs the centre carb as far as I know. Good luck with your intake.

24. Frank

Frank

I've got a truck lower and a portion of the upper I had planned on doing something similar. The ports are a lot larger for the truck. I mocked it up a few years ago with the idea of doing a 4 x 2brl staggered setup, but I'll likely just keep it a little more simple with 3.

[​IMG][​IMG]

25. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

What does the intake look like with the box off? I know there are a couple of different styles, one with smaller holes inline, and one with larger holes offset.

I have an old one with 8 holes inline, I've been thinking over adapting side-draft carbs, maybe snowmobile cars, 8 barrels total. But it seems like a lot of work for not much gain. But it still has the injectors, maybe nitrous + fuel injected there... ok, just bench racing...

26. scrape

scrape

27. custom53

custom53

the one i used is a mustang lower. it has 8 oval holes. what does "spitback" mean. is it bad?

28. It will work, have seen Dad make similar on English Vauxhall Cresta 3.3l engine using exhaust tubing, a single box section like you have used, and 3 1bbl Holden stromberg carbs.
    I have also just gone the other way on a motorcycle, 3 cylinders and one card off Suzuki ST90 van. Works really good with the aid of an electric fuel pump.....

29. Also as to "spitback" thats just far too much fuel entering at once, muliple carb tuning takes hours to do properly, especially if the carbs are different........its not as simple as bolt on and instant 10sec quarter

30. special-k

special-k

Spitback is when you get vapor coming back up through the carb. Almost like a backfire but usually no bang. It disrupts the fuel though and makes the motor miss a little at low rpm. Sometimes making the intake length longer or a bigger plenum will dampen it out. It seems like it's a combination of cam timing and intake design. Reversion is a close cousin to it. It's kind of neat looking when it's revving hard and there's a slight fog of fuel 3" above the carb though. Old VW's had a tall air cleaner to let it get pulled back into the motor while it was still a mist. I'm sure there's a lot sharper guy's than me on here with a better explanation though.