Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Most Absurd Claim you've heard at a Car Show, Drag Race, Cruise Night, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaveyJonez, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Back in '65 or '66 when I was about 15, two freinds of my dad's stopped by with two brand-new Shelby mustangs they had bought. One was a red fastback, and the other was a blue "coupe". Shelby did indeed build coupes!

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I was at a car show with a '65 Biscayne. It had 427 emblems on the front fenders. Some old guy walks up and looks at my car and said, "I'm a retired GM engineer. They didn't make a 427 in '65!". I said so what! He asked if I put a 427 in it. I told him it was a 500 hp 454 with a Richmond 6 speed. He said, "Well, I have a numbers matching Yenko!". I said really, you see my car but I don't see yours, so eat shit and die!!!! He said, "Oh. I didn't mean it that way". I said , yes you did, now get lost!

I never saw him again after that...........

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  3. There was one old stick north of here that had an old car he claimed would do 0-120 in two or three telephone pole lengths. Mind you, it did have a blown hemi in it........

Attached Files:

4. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

oh and i have chrome valve covers 36 hp more hahaahha

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

One of my favorites: I was at a junkyard back about '74, and some young guy was bragging about his buddy's car. He enthused: "It's still got the ORIGINAL 440 Hemi in it!"

I didn't even argue with him.

6. terryr

terryr
    from earth

I think someone should put that on a water bottle and go through airport security. Arrive early.

7. Sugarskull

Sugarskull
    from Calgary

Not necessarily a claim really, but I still kind of chuckle when I remember this.

This guy was chatting with his buddy about a Chrysler New Yorker and he was explaining to him that it was "pretty much the Cadillac of cars"....:rolleyes:

Ahhh hahaha. *sigh*

8. Smokey2

Smokey2

Best One Ever!!!!!!!
    "WE Put So Much PAINT ONIT! That, One Day..........."WE Hit A big Pot Hole, An The Paint Popped OFF.........Leavin', A look-a-like '40 Ford, Sittin' in tha' middle of the road! Cross-my-heart, an Hope To Die!, if that Ain't tha' TRUTH" Quote, Willard Gott, 1958, Blountville Tn.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Top that' one CITY BOY!

Smokey :p:p

9. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

"i built it myself"..........

10. Smokey2

Smokey2

"I could have BEAT you last night!, But I forgot (Ha!), I had fourteen (14) cinder blocks in tha' trunk...........Lyin' Leroy.
    (1960). Bristol, Tenn.

Smoke' :D

11. Smokey2

Smokey2

I'M LQQKIN fer one of those Conversion Kits for My El-dee-rodo!..........City Boy!

They R few an Fer between, Factory only made TWO!! an if'n You have one??(I doubt!),l'll give you the caniption swizzler locker-upper off my Whippet!! What'a ya say???

12. I posted here earlier, but have to tell of two other (of numerous) Nimrods I have encountered.
    1) When I was 16, many moons ago, I worked in a gas station as a 'jockey' The other guy I worked with told me how he would "power tune" a car while he was under the hood as it was under full power being driven down the road! this same guy used perforated pop cans for mufflers on his ragged out 'Cuda.
    2) While at a small local car show last summer, I started following these two guys to hear the one's comments to his buddy. They were standing by a car that had a polished snorkel scoop on top of two fours. The scoop had a 'billet' flavor with "BDS" (Blower Drive Service) machined in the polished aluminum. He said to his Friend."that is a 5(B)0(D)2(S) cube motor, see" as he pointed to the scoop letters. Later, he came across a '52 Merc and exclaimed,"That was before Ford bought them out." This guy was a hilarious fountain of ignorance. What an Ass Clown. He said plenty more, but those two stuck in my mind.

13. I agree, 65 and 66 Shelby Mustangs sold as street cars to the general public were all fastbacks...but there were a handful of road-race coupes built for the track. Extremely unlikely the guy you ran into had one of them though...so I'd say you were right and he was wrong.

14. "Dat's one of dem Max Wedge Hemi cars! Do a hunnert-fifty in da quarter!"

Heard that at Autorama quite a number of years ago,while looking at a nice 65 Dodge with a single-4bbl equipped 440 under the hood with a friend of mine. He actually steered me away from the scene so I wouldn't embarrass the guy with my laughter.

15. customrod48

customrod48

It's 100% rust free.........................

16. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

your'e lookin at a man who could catch a whale with a toothpick

17. 42 chevy

42 chevy

My favorite is the guy who goads you into a race and then loses because he "missed a gear". If that is so why do they not want to try again? I had a friend with a '76 Camaro that he put a cam in and always talked about being able to outrun my '57 Chevy but would never race me. He always had an excuse.

18. THE-HOT-ROD-KID

THE-HOT-ROD-KID

Some idiot told me his stock Honda would beat my 350 chevy powered 1987 short wide bed. he changed his mind after i beat him by 4 car lengths.

19. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

I have had that happen a few times at shows, worse one was this old guy, truly orca fat/bald. He tried to hop into one of my cars over the doors to show what a true badass he was, because that is how they did it "back in the day".

Best part was my father sitting next to me at the time trying not to laugh as hard as I have ever seen him. I always have him tell the story or no one would believe me.

20. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

My Wife to me......"come on those aren't real" (.)(.)

21. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

One night after I got off work around 11:30 (pizza delivery) I went to see a movie as they had midnight showings for only a buck. Im driving my stock 66 black bonneville, the exhaust is open due to a broken bolt I hadn't fixed yet. I park go in and see the film "triple XXX" for fun. What I don't realize is that I parked right in front of the theatre exit for that movie. I get out and start the car and am letting it warm up cause its about 20 degrees out. Guy walks out the theatre hears the bonneville running sees the grill (similar to the one he just saw in the movie) misses the 2 inch high lettering "BONNEVILLE" and exclaims in a voice loud enough for me to hear inside the car with the windows up.

"Wow GTO"

22. ironrodder

ironrodder

A friend that should know better told me he saw a old truck bed utility trailer at a junk yard in a nearby town, full of flathead parts. I beat a path there the next day. The yardman gives me a funny look when I ask about it and just says follow me. Right outside the back door is the trailer full of old valve covers, air cleaners, just junk and one flathead water pump. He said I was the 3rd person looking for the "flathead" trailer in a week.

23. historynw

historynw

I still hear about them old 440 hemi's with 2 4bbls.:eek: they went 170mph.

24. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

???????????????

25. Back when I was a kid I went to a show with my dad in 54 Ford Panel delivery that had tinted windows and one of those window air conditioning units. I remember that day I was exhausted and after taking a trip around the show figured on resting in the car for a bit. With the windows as dard as they were no one could see my sitting in their so I was in the front row for a great show as just about everyone that came around that car had an explenation to their friend/girlfriend/child as to what that thing was that was hanging off the window.

By the end of the night it was a rocket, speaker, harpoon, luggage rack, you name it. In over an hour of listening to this not one person actually got it right.

26. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

"You can only go fast with a Chebbie engine- everybody knows that!!!"
    One of the biggest whoppers ever told ROFLMMFAO :rolleyes:

27. al8apex

al8apex

"it is ALL original"

28. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Ok, here goes...

The kid who claimed his Naturally Aspirated Honda CRX got 600 hp with an intake and "nology" wires....
    When questioned....his response "But, it's got nology wires!"
    The same car goes "200 mph on I-25...so fast the wipers start flutterin around."

When question about his final drive ration...the response was..."Huh?"
    No attempt to set him straight would work...
    Lots of the auto shop kids used to love riling him up in class.

Another one...who bless his heart was a dsm kid....claimed his buddy's dsm did zero to sixty in 2.5 seconds....said he had the slip to prove it.... Well we learned that it was a 60' time and not a 0-60 time. At least they were goin to the track...

29. al8apex

al8apex

yeah, the rare 87 1LE

they started making them in 88 and there are 6 of them (2 Firebirds and 4 Camaros), ZERO 87 1LE's ...

30. Jantrix

Jantrix

A few days ago a co-worker and I were talking cars and he starts in about his mothers 65 Mustang with the origianal factory 429 cobra jet (numbers matching). In the spirit of workplace harmony I didn't laugh him out of the room.