Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Plymouth sedan to delivery project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lono, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Inventive stuff, coming out very well.

2. Lono

Lono

I've been shopping around for a roof insert at our local wreckers and nothing grabs my attention so its a chicken wire wood insert coming down the road.

I've been looking over some of the early modifications and welds that have been made to the body long ago. The welded on ducktail ideal for hanging a trunk off, the welded shut rear doors, the lead that filled around the original insert. My thinking is way back in the day someone turned this old buggy into a war time hauler for better gas rations.

3. Lono

Lono

The misc. dents can stay as is. Gives it a, "just found in a barn" kinda feeling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hartmen

hartmen
    BANNED

great job on your build! i wish my 32 was that nice of a body to start with. im running sedan model a rear fenders on mine. those plymouth fenders are just plain fugly. if i remember currectly though the model a rear fenders are not the same diameter but very close. i welded mine to the body permantly so long ago i simply cant remember. can tell you this though.....it looks damn good with some ford parts on it.

5. Lono

Lono

Hartman, I think you're right. If you have a side view I'd love to see them. I was thinking of using A's as well but haven't got my hands on a local set to play with.
    I love your avatar too.

6. Looking at it I'm thinking it looks more like a panel delivery now. Think they were slab sided and delivery had the recess for the window outline in back. Cool project and any thought of a rear door ?

7. freebird101

freebird101

thats one cool looking delivery, can wait for more.

8. billys54

billys54

I like it, Looks good

9. Lono

Lono

I've seen them done both ways and I like them both. I was going to keep the body line but I have plans for some period artwork so wnted to open it up for the pinstriper.

The rear door was going to be split at the body line and open below only using a A handle at the top. I know some might shake their heads but I scratched that idea. No rear door. Besides, it would open up onto the ground.

10. hartmen

hartmen
    BANNED

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  11. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

wow this is coming out really cool

12. Lono

Lono

outside with a little spring sunshine upon it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cant wait to see Kelly's hand go at it... (www.kellyskustoms.com )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Kelly applies the art and it's aged, a single slathering of carnuba wax and thats it.

13. Lono

Lono

Cleaned up the shop today and getting ready for switching from bodywork to mechanical.

Finally, the Rambler component of the build.
    One of the most vital components....

[​IMG]

started pulling hoses and making way to extract the heartbeat...

[​IMG]

Not much to look at quite yet but a bunch of goodies are coming in this week.

Springs, Bones and Brakes.

[​IMG]

14. Lono

Lono

Started pulling parts over the last couple days.

[​IMG]

I can use my Rambler rear end, panard bar and wishbones with updated coil overs.
    It will require getting a pair of custom smoothies with a 2 inch back spacing.

With that in place I'll go with 16 wires up front and 16 smoothies out back. 750 rear tires and 600 fronts - the same configuration that was on thelowrider's coupe.

I layed out the height and measuments and it should look a great deal like this for a ride height...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. joco

joco

Great project, really cool

Greet from Holland

Joe

16. Lono

Lono

Swap meet goodies...
    I dont need right this minute but couldnt say no to a f1 steering column, 55 steering wheel, front drums w/ new brakes for $50. A 64 chev truck gas tank for $10.00, Chrome cross link steering rods for $20, and this funky air cleaner for $10.00

[​IMG]

Being today was a grub free day I measured out the frame requirments. A frames are 103" wheelbase and I'll need to pull 113" if I want to retain most of the firewall. With the motor sitting on the floor it appears I'll only need to take 3 inches out of the Torque tube. Being I cant git grubby today, I was able to make one final picture to scale to put up as my desktop picture to look fondly at for the next 2 weeks while away.

[​IMG]

17. Lono

Lono

been away on holidays but back at it.
    Started cleaning up my A frame that will donate the front 37 inches.

I hung together some parts to start taking measurements. Tomorrow I'll drop the motor on the frame to read how much it will settle Then look at the Z for the frame.

[​IMG]

with about 6 inches of Z in the frotn it should look something like this.

[​IMG]

Quite a bit longer than an A at about 113 inch wheelbase.

[​IMG]

18. Thats a great looking body, but I´d be inclined to raise it a bit on the frame. Get the cowl to be higher than the motor and lined up with the grille shell. Maybe make the rear tyres fit the wheelhouses. Just my 2c!

19. Lono

Lono

Interresting thoughts James.
    I took to getting the vertical measurements down today and did it to scale.

I see some fudging to get the grill to work the way I want to. Tomorrow, double check my measurments then off for steel. the front Z is 4 inches, the rear kick up is 6.5.

[​IMG]

20. Lono

Lono

21. Lono

Lono

Good day to get my rear in gear....

the 14 inch shorter torque tube...
    [​IMG]

botled snuggly into place along with the wishbones...
    [​IMG]

line up and lay out and bolt it all together.
    [​IMG]

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Shit yer not screwing around Lono ! Lookig good !

23. Lono

Lono

Sat the body on the frame today.
    Once my Hurst tires arrive I'll mount them and the fronts and position the body in place and modify the height of the grill.

Pretty happy camper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now roll it back in and wait for the tires to arrive so I can button up the floor again at the right height.

24. Lono

Lono

more headway.

[​IMG]

25. Lono

Lono

Took a day away from gardening to modify the grill to fit.
    Total road clearance is 4 inches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can get back to the "honey do" list.

26. BJR

BJR

Would it look better with the drip moulding stopping at the back end of the front door? Looking great, love the AMC running gear.

27. Lono

Lono

The project has moved over, but just a little. The focus as of late has been that old 57 wagon in the background. My supervisor strongly recomended I get something done on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boss said, " no more projects" so I've assured her I wont take any more on but I couldnt promise I wouldn't horde.
    When I found this old girl I had to bring her home, after all she came with her own gas pump that the owner threw in to sweeten the deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Lono

Lono

Been away from this for long enough.
    Finally got off me duff and played on the delivery for a while today.
    Replaced the cross link with a cowl mount steering box.

[​IMG]

The wood represents the Vega Pitman arm I've ordered.

[​IMG]

The steering box conflicted with the oil filter so this seemed an easier solution to mounting an external oil filter.

29. skull

skull

cool, love the conversion:D

l have a 1933 that was a 4 door sedan, looked a lot like your'es when we started.
    we took 7'' out of the back doors and l set it on a TCI chassis. l hope to finish it this year, kinda rough right now.

please, keep us updated.

Later :cool:

Attached Files: