Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear drum 33 ford pu cant get off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by artemas, Jan 16, 2011.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

[​IMG]

this is what you need. tighten it up and beat it wit a big hammer. leave the nut on or it will pop off and land on your foot. it lets loose all at once..... BAM!

actually bent the drum on my old dodge trying one of those other ones.

2. artemas

artemas

Its funny cause I thought of you when it broke!!! lol

3. artemas

artemas

It will turn by hand but needs lots of muscle to do so. I drove this around town when I first got it but couldnt get above 35 mph due to that dragging brake.
    I appreciate the response. I dont think the bearings are rusted otherwise it would'nt turn- and it does turn. Only thing I can think of is the key way is rusted up but good. I may need to fabricate something like the pics they posted earlier here.

My BIGGEST question is will I be able to bend this back where the previous puller bent it. Can I find another drum if I damage this one too bad??

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  4. So you pulled the edge of the flange up with your hooks ? . Grind the edge back to the same level as the rest of the circle.

5. artemas

artemas

It does have a pick up style bed on it but it also is 122" wheel base. Not sure what that makes it though. It is a BB model I know that for sure. Wish i could get the VIN translated.

6. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. Most of us have used what we had for pullers and also don't ever own the right thing. I did build my own (with a little help from my machinist) that goes in the groove.
    Penetrating oil and a hammer are your friends. Spray the stuff on liberally and whack the hell out of it, all the way around. Do this several times a day for a couple days, be patient. Also when you start putting pressure on the puller you need to be tapping with a hammer all the way until it pops off. Oh, and also I have a big brass drift I use to hammer on if I don't want to see the peen marks on the part. Also your torch is weenie. Problem with a torch that small is that you heat so slow it also heats the shaft causing it to swell.

7. miller 35

miller 35

Just have patience, it took 70 some odd years to get that way it'll take a little while to get it off, just keep soaking it in pb blaster or what ever, heat and tap and leave the pressure on, it will come off, make sure you have the brake shoes free if you can, take your time and you won't screw something up.========miller35

8. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i fought for 3 days trying to get a taper'd hub off the back of my plymouth.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508727

Finally, after heating it with a acetylene torch, kroil penetrating lube, i got pissed off and figured im either gonna break it or its coming off. One swift smack with a sledgehammer right on the head of the puller i made made that hub shoot off like a damn rocket!