Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rochester B rebuild in Houston?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knucklehead29, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Before I go sending my carb off for a rebuild, I was wondering if there was anyone locally here in Houston that could this the right way? It's a Rochester B with manual choke from a '56 235. Thanks in advance.

2. racer32

racer32

I bought a Holley-rebuilt Rochester B from Autozone for something like $80 not long ago. Worked great. They're also simple to rebuild. I rebuilt the one I had and used the Autozone carb. Needed two for a dual-carb set-up.

3. racer32

racer32

WOW! Just looked and the only rebuilt carbs they offer now are $230. Buy a kit and do it your self...its an EASY carb to work on.

4. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Ya it's kinda pricey now, but I have heard so many horror stories about trying to rebuild these carbs the right way. I actually ordered a rebuild kit from the carb doctor, but have heard ZILCH from them since I ordered it March 1st!! I even emailed them twice. Is there any other place I can order these rebuild kits from? You said you got yours from autozone?

5. cooger

cooger

check O'Reiley's, they seem to have better cust. svc. and know more. I got several kits for old carbs from them.
    cooger

6. racer32

racer32

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

8. cederholm

cederholm

Terd, you ROCK! I have three carbs and three kits giving my the evil eye from my bench! With your post at my side I'll tame those bad boys!

Knucklehead, what type of horror stories have you heard?

9. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Stuff about not being able to get the float height right, losing parts because they are spring loaded, scratching a finely machined surface. Stuff like that.

10. cederholm

cederholm

I've had one appart, they are pretty basic, I'm going in!!

btw - i like your avitar car - looks like a cleaned up version of mine. :)